Login   Register
 Login    Register
Newspapers
ArKaiN

cmr wrote:I really don't think it's a good idea to let print media die altogether.

...why

Glaeken
I have hair growing out of my earlobes

ArKaiN wrote:...why

What else is he going to throw at kids?
Back in cat hair-covered black.

beefgerky18

Bricks, rocks and feces.

ArKaiN

On the other hand you can't really wipe your ass with your notebook in an emergency

PopulationOverride

The only reason I wear socks is if I'm caught in a public bathroom without any toilet paper

kidnotorious

Seattle Times had the better sports. Seattle PI had the better comics.

Dusty
RIP 10.9.1987--11.4.2013

wockawocka wrote:Christian Science

There's a fucking oximoron if i've ever seen one.

crackalaka

wockawocka wrote:Yes, for over a year now - I believe the reasoning was the lack of advertising.  It's bizarre to me that so many companies are jumping ship rather than being on the vanguard of an emerging industry.

Looks like they announced the sale yesterday.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-sdun...0,3235358.story
Newspaper stock prices and valuations have plummeted. But the Union-Tribune acquisition suggests that values on some properties have sunk so low that some entrepreneurs can't resist taking a shot.
"The fact that one newspaper finally sold doesn't mean that the dam has broken, but it's starting to leak," Morton said. "Buyers could be emboldened."

cmr
taco muncher

...why

I just think it's a big part of the field of journalism. I don't think the internet should be the primary source of the written word and I think it would be if we let print media die off.

Whitey

cmr wrote:I just think it's a big part of the field of journalism. I don't think the internet should be the primary source of the written word and I think it would be if we let print media die off.

So you think the solution is for the government to subsidize newspapers?
Why do think the written word is better when printed on paper and delivered to your porch. How does that different than reading it off a computer screen? It isn't. You've simply streamlined the process. Articles will go straight from the writers computer to the news website. No cutting down trees, no ink, no paper boys, no distribution cost what so ever. Just bandwidth and server maintenance. It's a thousand times more efficient.

kidnotorious

Whitey wrote:So you think the solution is for the government to subsidize newspapers?
Why do think the written word is better when printed on paper and delivered to your porch. How does that different than reading it off a computer screen? It isn't. You've simply streamlined the process. Articles will go straight from the writers computer to the news website. No cutting down trees, no ink, no paper boys, no distribution cost what so ever. Just bandwidth and server maintenance. It's a thousand times more efficient.

In one of my mass comm classes we talked about this very thing and it was strongly hypothesized that the digital news will never completely eliminate the printed news if only for the "experience" of reading the paper; the sitting down to a cup of coffee and reading the Sunday Times.
We'll see how accurate that hypothesis was in a couple years...

VnlaThndr775

kidnotorious wrote:In one of my mass comm classes we talked about this very thing and it was strongly hypothesized that the digital news will never completely eliminate the printed news if only for the "experience" of reading the paper; the sitting down to a cup of coffee and reading the Sunday Times.
We'll see how accurate that hypothesis was in a couple years...

That's one of my favorite things to do on the weekends. Also, I love doing the crossword every day (in pen because I am a stud), and the thought of having to do a crossword on the computer instead repulses me. If it weren't for crossword thing I'd just get the paper on the weekends.

ArKaiN

Here's the thing: it's gonna happen. Hell, it IS happening. Might as well discuss whether the planet should revolve around the sun.

alphamoose

The solution is audio newspaper.

ArKaiN

Wrong. Audio takes too much time and you can't skim through headlines as easily.