Login   Register
 Login    Register
Movies You've Seen Recently
Pascal's Pager
User avatar
aka: the pretentious bigmouth
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 7,585 | Offline
Joined: Jan 25, 2012
In A Lonely Place (1950, dir. Ncholas Ray)

Masterful film noir starring Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame. Bogart plays Dixon Steele, an alcoholic screenwriter who's fallen on lean times. When a young production assistant turns up murdered, the police turn their eyes on him. Unfortunately for Steele, he's got such a history of bad behavior that even his friends aren't sure he's innocent.

Meanwhile, he finds a ray of happiness with Laurel, a police witness who "likes his face." They begin building a life together, but as the investigation grows more intense, Steele's personal demons manifest, threatening to bring it all crashing down.

This is a brilliant little flick with a gut-punch of an ending. I love, love, love the snappy dialogue in these noir movies, and nobody delivers it like Bogie. He's so damn sexy and looks amazing in a rumpled suit.

("Why didn't you call her a cab? Isn't that what a gentleman usually does?" "Oh, I didn't say I was a gentleman. I said I was tired.")

Gloria Grahame stands toe-to-toe with Bogart in every scene. She's tough and vulnerable all at once, which is quite a trick. I've had a huge crush on her forever. Her sexpot turn in It's A Wonderful Life was responsible for some of my first adolescent stirrings, and I didn't learn until years later that she had a whole career after that.

(This morning I read that Grahame was in the middle of divorce proceedings with director Nicholas Ray during the making of this movie—after he found her in bed with his 13-YEAR OLD SON. Wow.)

This is an awesome movie. Highly recommended, currently streaming on FilmStruck.

phpBB [video]

lurkilou
User avatar
 
Rank: New User
Posts: 186 | Offline
Joined: Jan 6, 2015

Burt wrote:Watched Back to School as a palette cleanser. I caught the name, Keith Gordon, as Rodney's student son. I thought he did a passable, but not great job. So later tonight I'm watching Fargo and at the end I see it was directed by who? Keith Gordon! He has directed a lot of quality TV eps. WTG, Keith!


I loved that movie when I was a kid. To this day whenever I see meatball hor d’oeuvres I think about that scene where he digs the center out of a loaf of bread and makes a sandwich.

I thought the son was memorable in the role, and always wondered why I didn't see him in more movies. Good to know he's doing well.

cantjudge
User avatar
69 feels like 69, amirite?
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 5,411 | Offline
Joined: Jan 26, 2012

Burt wrote:The Verdict - 1982

This is the fallow season for movie releases so I've been re-visiting pics from my collection. This is a perfect movie. Well seasoned Paul Newman at his peak. I already knew that, but I'm impressed every time I watch it. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor.



Watched this weekend. Who knew that that racey car guy could act? Of course, Newman makes this movie as he does so many others. Lot of artsy-fartsy shots, but doesn't take away from the movie. Enjoyed it, although the climax was a bit far-fetched. P-New also socks a lady :shocker:

3.5/5

PlaysByEar
User avatar
Paul Shaffer Swagger Jacker
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 10,545 | Offline
Joined: Jan 30, 2010

lurkilou wrote:
Burt wrote:Watched Back to School as a palette cleanser. I caught the name, Keith Gordon, as Rodney's student son. I thought he did a passable, but not great job. So later tonight I'm watching Fargo and at the end I see it was directed by who? Keith Gordon! He has directed a lot of quality TV eps. WTG, Keith!


I loved that movie when I was a kid. To this day whenever I see meatball hor d’oeuvres I think about that scene where he digs the center out of a loaf of bread and makes a sandwich.

I thought the son was memorable in the role, and always wondered why I didn't see him in more movies. Good to know he's doing well.

Some of that movie was filmed at my alma mater. I remember it being kind of a big deal.

HowWouldIKnowThat
User avatar
My bad, didn't even look at what thread we were in
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 14,142 | Offline
Joined: Aug 15, 2013

HuellHauser wrote:Dr. Strange

Pretty meh. Great effects but the story and fighting all felt pointless. Also too much "comedy." The Marvel cookie cutter formula is getting stale.

3 / 5


Just watched this a couple days ago, and agree with the feel. I was excited for it, cause love Cumbybatches, but, eh. I wish he hadn't used an American accdent...between that, him being a doctor, and the "comedy", it was like House: Super Hero. Effects were great, reminded me of The Cell (and of course Inception). I'd watch a sequel, I suppose.

Heinrich_Victory
User avatar
look Ma, no lube!
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 21,912 | Offline
Joined: Jan 3, 2008

I wouldn't mind getting high AF and rewatching the multiverse scene.

wojonixon
User avatar
Lily white and always polite
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 6,877 | Offline
Joined: Jul 18, 2012

Heinrich_Victory wrote:I wouldn't mind getting high AF and rewatching the multiverse scene.


It's a fun movie in its right, warts and all, but it's made lots more fun with a little "experience enhancement" for sure.
johnsok0 wrote:Traci's a dirty ho

HuellHauser
User avatar
alright, calm down internet
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 42,584 | Offline
Joined: Oct 27, 2010

HowWouldIKnowThat wrote:
HuellHauser wrote:Dr. Strange

Pretty meh. Great effects but the story and fighting all felt pointless. Also too much "comedy." The Marvel cookie cutter formula is getting stale.

3 / 5


Just watched this a couple days ago, and agree with the feel. I was excited for it, cause love Cumbybatches, but, eh. I wish he hadn't used an American accdent...between that, him being a doctor, and the "comedy", it was like House: Super Hero. Effects were great, reminded me of The Cell (and of course Inception). I'd watch a sequel, I suppose.


This is the first time I felt they were just getting the origin movie out of the way so they could shove the character into the other movies with 50 people in them. Some people felt this way with Ant-Man but I really liked Ant-Man. Doc Stranger felt like Ant-Man with a cape and magic.
SharonNeedles wrote:Why didn't they open it and show us the poop????



Huell's Haberdashery Hangout Hour: The Podcast

Prison Mike
User avatar
Why don't we pump some iron? Anyone wanna pump up?
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 10,061 | Offline
Joined: Mar 1, 2010

HowWouldIKnowThat wrote: it was like House: Super Hero.


That is a very accurate description of this movie. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Mr. Pointy
User avatar
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 6,597 | Offline
Joined: Dec 30, 2007

Prison Mike wrote:
HowWouldIKnowThat wrote: it was like House: Super Hero.


That is a very accurate description of this movie. I was pleasantly surprised by it.


Ha, I like this description too. I also wish Cumberbatch hadn't done an American accent. It wasn't very good. I did like hte movie, but just liked, not really liked or loved.
Lori Loughlin > Nicole Kidman

Burt
User avatar
SEG is correct
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 17,238 | Offline
Joined: Apr 19, 2011


Burt
User avatar
SEG is correct
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 17,238 | Offline
Joined: Apr 19, 2011

Pascal's Pager wrote:In A Lonely Place (1950, dir. Ncholas Ray)

Masterful film noir starring Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame. Bogart plays Dixon Steele, an alcoholic screenwriter who's fallen on lean times. When a young production assistant turns up murdered, the police turn their eyes on him. Unfortunately for Steele, he's got such a history of bad behavior that even his friends aren't sure he's innocent.

I’m sorta following you around watching old movies, PP. Saw this one a couple nights ago. Certainly one of the best of the genre.

Watching this was nostalgic. When I was a kid they filled a lot of non prime time with old movies. Especially the UHF channels started up. (They still do on 2nd and 3rd digital tier stations.) Most of them were horse operas. But many were film noir. I mostly preferred noir to the horsey shows. Cops chasing bad guys at night, sirens blaring. Snub nose revolvers. What’s not to like?

Mr. Pointy
User avatar
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 6,597 | Offline
Joined: Dec 30, 2007

xXx: Return of Xander Cage

(REALLY) Dumb fun, Diesel is ridiculous in this, a total ego project with everyone in the movie, nay film, worshiping Xander Cage's greatness -- especially the ladies. But I did enjoy myself, and it's not a bloated action movie like so many are today (even the Furious movies, as great as they've become could be edited down a bit IMO). Toni Collette chews up the scenery, and in a good way, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Nina Dobrev.
Lori Loughlin > Nicole Kidman

Heinrich_Victory
User avatar
look Ma, no lube!
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 21,912 | Offline
Joined: Jan 3, 2008

CHIPS. First off, big fan of Dax Shepard and his lady, Kristen Bell. I really liked Hit and Run. I liked CHIPS as well. Michael Peña is great and Bell’s tits are-a-poppin. Really nice chase scenes as well. From Shepard’s Maron interview, they had to invent a new camera rig to capture the motorcycle chase scenes. Well done, camera rig inventor guy.

Kong. Well, it wasn’t bad. Some really neat deaths and some really neat monsters. Pretty campy at times but still watchable. Also, I’m all about seeing Brie Larson run around in the jungle in a wet tank-top.

Pascal's Pager
User avatar
aka: the pretentious bigmouth
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 7,585 | Offline
Joined: Jan 25, 2012

Burt wrote:
Pascal's Pager wrote:In A Lonely Place (1950, dir. Ncholas Ray)

Masterful film noir starring Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame. Bogart plays Dixon Steele, an alcoholic screenwriter who's fallen on lean times. When a young production assistant turns up murdered, the police turn their eyes on him. Unfortunately for Steele, he's got such a history of bad behavior that even his friends aren't sure he's innocent.

I’m sorta following you around watching old movies, PP. Saw this one a couple nights ago. Certainly one of the best of the genre.

Watching this was nostalgic. When I was a kid they filled a lot of non prime time with old movies. Especially the UHF channels started up. (They still do on 2nd and 3rd digital tier stations.) Most of them were horse operas. But many were film noir. I mostly preferred noir to the horsey shows. Cops chasing bad guys at night, sirens blaring. Snub nose revolvers. What’s not to like?


And that dialogue! Not afraid to turn a phrase, them noir writers.

I hated westerns when I was a kid. Afternoon tv was awash with Bonanza, The Big Valley, Rawhide, Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, and endless $10 oaters full of Italians wearing headdresses. As a little nerd who loved Battlestar Galactica, Spider-Man, and Jason of Star Command, the ubiquitous cowboys seemed boring and indistinguishable from each other.

Unforgiven was the first western that made me sit up and take notice, and since then it's been a long, slow journey of discovery. There are some pretty great westerns buried in all the cheap trash, but I'll still opt for a stark noir any day.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests