Login   Register
 Login    Register
Movies You've Seen Recently
ebolarama
intentionally bad ass wiper

Jewdo wrote:Well Mr. Brooks was very good

Really? I'm 50/50 on renting this... the previews look cool, but Kevin Costner and Dane Cook?

MiVidaLoca
Dearly missed

ebolarama wrote:Really? I'm 50/50 on renting this... the previews look cool, but Kevin Costner and Dane Cook?

Rent it. It's great. And William Hurt is morbidly hilarious.

Moishe Kapoyr

Yeah it's not "Kevin Costner and Dane Cook" like you would think.
You shall see....
Another entry...
K-PAX

Jewdo

jackrip wrote:Yeah it's not "Kevin Costner and Dane Cook" like you would think.
You shall see....
Another entry...
K-PAX

Exactly, it's not like Tourgasm meets Waterworld, it's just a really good movie and of course you hate Dane in the movie and well you'll be glad what happens

MiVidaLoca
Dearly missed

Jewdo wrote:Exactly, it's not like Tourgasm meets Waterworld

Wow...there's a recipe for disaster. :lol:
Waterworld is my dad's all-time favorite movie. The poor guy only owns 2 DVDs (that and Open Range) and he watches both of them all the time. I've tried expanding his horizons but the furthest I've gotten is the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
He's a simple man, I guess.

ifandorbut

Do The Math wrote:As far as Goodfellas goes, I wonder how much of peoples' disappointment is based on expectations. I'm actually old enough to have seen it in the theater and I went in knowing absolutely nothing about it. With no expectations to cloud my judgement I was able to get sucked into the story, bond with the characters and ride the roller coaster. If I saw it years later after all the talk about how great it was, I definitely would have had a different experience. I had the opposite experience with Into The Wild, Sean Penn's movie. I read the book and loved it, so when I heard all the great reviews about the movie, I was excited to see it. It was one of the most disappointing movie going experiences of my life.
I can't imagine anyone seeing Goodfellas now and having the same experience I had seeing it in the theater with no expectations to cloud my judgement. Frankly, for a lot of people, the movie is effed out before seeing it because of drops like "now, go home and get your [effing] shinebox". I can't stand hearing that drop anymore! In the movie, it's the culmination of a simmering tension between Tommy and Billy Bats that took some time (and some phenomanal acting) to develop. Now, it's just a cheezy drop played on radio stations all over the country. It's no wonder people seeing Goodfellas for the first time are disappointed.

I saw it in the theater the same week it came out. For me, this movie marked the last time that I made it a point to get to one of his movies right away. I didn't have any hype to cloud my judgment on how good or bad it was, other than whatever expectations I brought into the theater from his past successes. I generally avoid film reviews until after I've seen a film. I've had too many films ruined by over zealous movie critics giving away plot details.
I was quite surprised to find some years later that 'Goodfellas' started making a lot of critics lists. I thought the classic rock music score used in the film was overbearing. I didn't hate the film, I just can't go on and on about what a great film it is. There are a lot of great actors in the film. There are a handful of memorable scenes, but when the big picture becomes clear, it didn't make that much of a positive impact on me.

teecho

ifandorbut wrote:I thought the classic rock music score used in the film was overbearing.

What about Forrest Gump?
We get it. It's the sixties. We don't need the Byrds or the Doors to remind us.

MiVidaLoca
Dearly missed

3:10 to Yuma.... add it to my "ehhh" pile. <_< Maybe it's because I'm a chick. But it did provide some good eye candy.
And eff that little twerp from Flash Forward. :angry:

Jewdo

MiVidaLoca wrote:3:10 to Yuma.... add it to my "ehhh" pile. <_< Maybe it's because I'm a chick. But it did provide some good eye candy.
And eff that little twerp from Flash Forward. :angry:

Did you think the ending was stupid too?

MiVidaLoca
Dearly missed

Jewdo wrote:Did you think the ending was stupid too?

Yes. Gawd, this is like the 3rd dumb movie I've seen in 2 days. I need to go watch something great to reset myself.
Where are my Jaws DVDs...

Jewdo

MiVidaLoca wrote:Yes. Gawd, this is like the 3rd dumb movie I've seen in 2 days. I need to go watch something great to reset myself.
Where are my Jaws DVDs...

No Country For Old Men
Part 1
http://joox.net/cat/2/id/2060657
Part 2
http://joox.net/cat/2/id/2060976
edit: whoops it's gone
Last edited by Jewdo on January 12th, 2008, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ebolarama

MiVidaLoca wrote:3:10 to Yuma.... add it to my "ehhh" pile. <_< Maybe it's because I'm a chick. But it did provide some good eye candy.

It's cause you're a chick. As a dude, it's easily on my top 10 of 2007 list. Best new western I've seen in the last 10 years.
It has 1) action, 2)GREAT characters, 3)great writing/dialogue, 4)great storyline, 5)great performances, etc... I could go on and on about this.
And just for context, my top 10 of 2007 are as follows (NOT in any sort of order)
3:10 to Yuma
Superbad
No Country for Old Men
Eastern Promises
Zodiac
Knocked Up
Grindhouse
Rescue Dawn (Should be seen if you're a Bale fan)
Black Snake Moan
Last edited by ebolarama on January 12th, 2008, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jewdo

I liked 3:10 to Yuma I just thought the ending was bad, definitely the best Western in the last decade and then some, but still. I don't know where the ending should have gone, but I didn't care for it.

ebolarama

Jewdo wrote:I liked 3:10 to Yuma I just thought the ending was bad, definitely the best Western in the last decade and then some, but still. I don't know where the ending should have gone, but I didn't care for it.

Well, I loved the ending. What I got out of it was that Crowe's character wasn't a badguy to be a badguy, he was a badguy because he saw society as poisoned and flawed, but he wasn't a nihilist, he still had values. And though he devoted his life to crime, he still recognized honor and pride, and he realized that all Bale's character was trying to do was restore faith in his son, and if that meant that he (Crowe) had to kill his psychopathic posse, then so be it.
Again, that's just what I personally got out of it, I'm not trying to make an argument on the behalf of the film makers, or convince anyone.
Last edited by ebolarama on January 12th, 2008, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jewdo

ebolarama wrote:Well, I loved the ending. What I got out of it was that Crowe's character wasn't a badguy to be a badguy, he was a badguy because he saw society as poisoned and flawed, but he wasn't a nihilist, he still had values. And though he devoted his life to crime, he still recognized honor and pride, and he realized that all Bale's character was trying to do was restore faith in his son, and if that meant that he (Crowe) had to kill his psychopathic posse, then so be it.
Again, that's just what I personally got out of it, I'm not trying to make an argument on the behalf of the film makers, or convince anyone.

I understand what they tried to do, I just thought it was stupidly done and kind of like he just flipped a switch between choking him to death and then agreeing to get on the train. I thought the "niceness" in Crowe's character was sprinkled in badly throughout the movie and for the most part I don't think he really cared if Bale's character lived or died until the end