Login   Register
 Login    Register
Oscars 2016
HuellHauser
I spent a lot of time looking @ this dude's crotch

List of nominees:

http://www.imdb.com/awards-central/osca ... i=homepage

There's 8 Best Picture nominees again this year out of a possible 10. I've only seen Mad Max but am for sure seeing The Revenant this weekend.

No huge surprises I think, but Hateful Eight not being a Best Pic nominee surprises me (but I haven't seen it). Not even a screenplay nomination, which seems to be automatic for Tarantino movies.
SharonNeedles wrote:Why didn't they open it and show us the poop????

Huell's Haberdashery Hangout Hour: The Podcast

VictoryGin
Hehe - I can't even afford foreplay!

Star Wars didn't get much. Kinda surprised.
backsack wrote:You're really fucking annoying today.
backsack wrote:Shut the fuck up already.
JustAnotherMike wrote:"We are doing the best we can with the resources that we have"

scottcolbath
Board Photog & Digitus Me'dius Enthusiast

Ted 2 overlooked.

Fuck Hollywood.

S.C.

HuellHauser

VictoryGin wrote:Star Wars didn't get much. Kinda surprised.

It's not really an "Oscar" movie. It got its token effects and sound nominations.

That being said, Mad Max got a lot more than I thought it would. Could just be George Miller's reputation, and that it's a fuckin great movie.

HuellHauser

Also kind of surprised Inside Out didn't get a Best Pic nomination. The better Pixar movies usually get in there, and I think this was up there with their best.

cantjudge
clearly an idiot

Surprised by The Martian getting a best pic nom. I haven't seen it, but every review I've seen, even if they are positive, makes it seem not weighty enough for an Oscar.

Glaeken
I have hair growing out of my earlobes

Wow, no Best Performance by an Actress for Furiosa? Blasphemy. No Supporting for Nux? Outrage.

At least Mad Max has a solid chance at Best, cause those other movies are not on its level.
Last edited by Glaeken on January 14th, 2016, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pascal's Pager
aka: the pretentious bigmouth

Glaeken wrote:Wow, no Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role for Furiosa? Blasphemy. At least Mad Max has a solid chance at Best, cause those other movies are not on its level.

It feels like an oversight, but I do understand this one. Theron totally killed it, but Furiosa's not a particularly "actorly" role (at least, not in the sense that the Academy tends to recognize). She has basically one note to play, and she plays the hell out of it, but when you stack that up against more complex performances, I can see why it doesn't get the nod.

As for Best Picture, I don't think there's a chance in hell the Academy gives it's most prestigious award to a post-apocalyptic smash-em-up thrill ride. Seems like the nomination itself is its reward. The movie's so good, they have to at least recognize it.

I think it's got a real shot at everything else, though, including Best Director.

Glaeken

Pascal's Pager wrote:
Glaeken wrote:Wow, no Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role for Furiosa? Blasphemy. At least Mad Max has a solid chance at Best, cause those other movies are not on its level.

It feels like an oversight, but I do understand this one. Theron totally killed it, but Furiosa's not a particularly "actorly" role (at least, not in the sense that the Academy tends to recognize). She has basically one note to play, and she plays the hell out of it, but when you stack that up against more complex performances, I can see why it doesn't get the nod.

As for Best Picture, I don't think there's a chance in hell the Academy gives it's most prestigious award to a post-apocalyptic smash-em-up thrill ride. Seems like the nomination itself is its reward. The movie's so good, they have to at least recognize it.

I think it's got a real shot at everything else, though, including Best Director.

I changed my post, I think there were two people from Fury Road who got stiffed.

I understand they won't give it Best because sci-fi is a red-headed stepchild, but it deserves it. The Martian and The Revenant were snoozefests. Acting, though, they should have given it to them.

No one even saw the other "best" movies!

Cherry Pie
Perhaps I'm making snap judgments again.

Room???

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3170832/?ref=ac_nomw

Room is dark as fuck. I read the book. The movie doesn't look nearly disturbing as the book was. CMR would probably like it.
The asian guy tossing a black guy's salad, while his nuts were set on the asian guy's forehead probably shouldn't be in there- Old Snake

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

The Room?

HuellHauser

Glaeken wrote:No one even saw the other "best" movies!

When has that ever stopped them?

Mattyboy
Everyone here is a pussy

Oscar was robbed though

phpBB [video]
RIP Uncle Al. Always in our T's&P's

Cherry Pie wrote: I don't know what my point is, exactly...

HuellHauser wrote:I'm in a lot of signatures.

wojonixon
Lily white and always polite

Mattyboy wrote:Oscar was robbed though

phpBB [video]

I have a feeling that guy won't go too many years without one.

I agree for Furiosa; she had me totally convinced she only had one hand.
johnsok0 wrote:Traci's a dirty ho

Glaeken

HuellHauser wrote:
Glaeken wrote:No one even saw the other "best" movies!

When has that ever stopped them?

It won't. It isn't part of their process, but they should be honest and include box office as part of the consideration for what makes something the "Best." If no one is going to see it, is it really the best movie?