Login   Register
 Login    Register
Huell Howser quietly retires from public TV's 'California's Gold'
Neil T
Dead chuffed

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv ... 0999.story

"
Huell Howser quietly retires from public TV's 'California's Gold'
TV host Huell Howser and his humble but curious demeanor 'is retiring from filming new shows or making appearances,' his assistant says. Rumors of an illness can't be confirmed.

Huell Howser, shown on top of the Golden Gate Bridge in an undated photo. (KCET / November 28, 2012)

By Scott Collins
November 28, 2012, 6:00 a.m.
He was so good at talking to people on TV that "The Simpsons" gently mocked his folksy, aw-shucks demeanor. But now it looks as if Huell Howser intends to fade away without comment.

Howser, the white-maned public TV host with the Southern accent who's famed for blurting out "That's amazing!" during interviews, has retired from making original episodes of his program "California's Gold," which travels around the state tracking down interesting people and places. The shows air on numerous statewide public TV stations, including KCET-TV Channel 28.

Speculation that the 67-year-old Howser is seriously ill has been circulating among local TV industry veterans in recent weeks, and insiders reported that he has not been seen for months at his Los Angeles office. On Tuesday the Sacramento Bee reported that Howser was retiring but added that he doesn't wish to make an official announcement.

PHOTOS: The awe of Huell Howser

"Huell is retiring from filming new shows or making appearances (or interviews) but the show will continue to air in reruns for awhile," Ryan Morris, Howser's assistant, wrote in an email to The Times. "We have been gradually winding down all year but Huell has decided to stop, come December 31st."

As for the talk about Howser's ill health, Morris added: "I have heard the rumors and while Huell does not always tell me everything, he seems to be doing fine. He is just trying to get away from television and enjoy some free time."

Howser arrived at his unique local celebrity through fate and his own industriousness. A Tennessee native, he worked as a features reporter for the station now known as KCBS-Channel 2. During the 1980s he switched to making documentaries and interview programs about California, punctuated by his homespun enthusiasms ("Oh my gosh!" is one frequently heard interjection).

He kept the costs low, producing the programs himself with a small staff. He has no agent or publicist and likes to keep the production techniques primitive to avoid rattling his subjects: "If you have a sound guy with a big boom mike it's intimidating as hell," he told The Times in 2009.

But the past few years have proven difficult for Howser. KCET left PBS after a bitter dispute with the network, and Howser, who preferred to keep good relations with everyone, was trapped in the middle, privately unhappy with KCET's move but determined to remain supportive of the station he'd called his home base for years.

A KCET spokeswoman did not answer an email seeking comment Tuesday.

Nevertheless, the sizable legion of Howser fans ensures a legacy that will remain for years.

"No one said 'Wow!' like Huell Howser — everything about California turned him into a kid on Christmas morning," said Martin Kaplan, the Norman Lear chair in Entertainment, Media and Society at USC. "He was about as far from irony as you can get. He made corny cool."

"Simpsons" co-creator Matt Groening is a longtime fan, so much so that in 2005 the animated series mocked him with a character thinly veiled as Howell Huser.

"Everyone at 'The Simpsons' does a Huell Howser impression," Groening told The Times in 2009. "We all love him. I have on my permanent do-not-delete TiVo Huell's visit to the Bunny Museum."

scott.collins@latimes.com"

Insert your own joke here.

HuellHauser
Hates Forrest Gump

We'll always have the Bagdad Cafe.

A single tear.

Todd Brisket
human interaction simulation

My bet is "pneumonia"

Neil T
Dead chuffed

tardbasket wrote:My bet is "pneumonia"

Yeah, unfortunately I read the entire article with a little voice in my head saying "AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS".

marks
die hard loon

I wish the very unfunny Dana Gould would follow suit.

Undertoad

Ah but the thing you're forgetting, there, marks, is fuck you.
Last edited by Undertoad on November 28th, 2012, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatpony

Is marks drunk? There have been a few stupid posts by him in the past hour.
Clap if you like my work.

Mr. Pointy

marks is marks
Lori Loughlin > Nicole Kidman

HuellHauser
Hates Forrest Gump

fatpony wrote:Is marks drunk? There have been a few stupid posts by him in the past hour.

And the past 2 years.

zinc

Adam needs to become the new host of that show.

johnsok0

The real Huell's picture is NOTHING how I envisioned, he's kind of cute. Doesn't fit his personae.
Maybe Adam can now get him on as a real guest, probably would not live up to my internal hype,
but I would still love to see the 2 universes collide.

heap of tears
sowing the seeds

tardbasket wrote:My bet is "pneumonia"

AKA the butt flu

laxdude
The game, not the airport, eh.

You can download a shit load of shows via their video podcast. Full episodes in all their horror.

It is probably more depression. His home station is no longer part of PBS (as stated) so that means if he stays he probably would be stopped from selling to other PBS stations who would probably be pressured not to buy it as well. He is too cheap (and old) to go it on his own and I doubt that who ever took over the LA PBS franchise (the overlapping rights and cable carriage were part of the dispute between KCET and PBS from what I read in the past and I recall that for some reason KCET was being charged ridiculous amounts for the LA franchise despite a couple of competing PBS stations.)

I also seem to recall reading that KCET was also planning on selling their historic studios (for a pretty penny) to the Church of $cientology.

It must be sad to confront that you are a joke and that no one has any place for you. Huell was just lucky enough to not notice for 20 years, but since the changes with the station they noticed he was still around.

Maybe Dawson can hire him for that idiotic avocado festival he does.

lovelinefan
puerile salmon & podcasting enthusiast

Can you imagine what it would be like if Huell goes to a retirement home?

Thane

HOLY SHITBALLS, i'da never guessed he looked like that lol. I always pictured him wearing a Canadian mounty (sp?) hat. Or just a goofy looking cowboy hat. With a mustache. :mrgreen: Guess not...
Last edited by Thane on November 29th, 2012, 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ray reached down...in the toilet...and picked up his..only...means...of defense."