Login   Register
 Login    Register
Good Alternatives to Adam and Carolla Digital?
Burt
SEG is correct

knittingninja wrote:I used to like FCOL when Teresa was on and Lynette wasn't so entitled. For a 'woman's" podcast, I enjoy The Satellite Sisters who are a lot more prepared and intelligent than the FCOL ladies. One of them is a real TV executive and another is a working writer. It is fun to compare and contrast the SS to the FCOL crew.

Alec Balwin's "Here's the Thing" is also good. When I hear his intro about talking to artists and high profile people, it seems like TAK was ripped off from him.

What is TAK? All I find is, "Tak is a female Irken and one of the main antagonists of Invader Zim."

HuellHauser
alright, calm down internet

Take A Knee
beeney wrote:my vagina and asshole felt like it exploded open.

Huell's Haberdashery Hangout Hour: The Podcast

cantjudge
69 feels like 69, amirite?

HuellHauser wrote:Take A Knee

Oh, I thought it was This American Knife.

LdKiser

I really like Never Not Funny...it's always fresh & they have great comedic guests.

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

Many times I find that title is not accurate.
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

appleshampoo wrote:"The Goodfellas of figure skating"...Uhhh..okay.

Nibroc

Hypermotard wrote:Many times I find that title is not accurate.

yeah trust the Carolla fan with THAT avatar when it comes to identifying funny.

HuellHauser
alright, calm down internet

burnt
beeney wrote:my vagina and asshole felt like it exploded open.

Huell's Haberdashery Hangout Hour: The Podcast

EYE-WRONG-MANG

Lando wrote:I have been listening to Nerdist for a while as an alternative and I am still on the fence about it (which probably means that I will unsubscribe at some point).
On the plus side:
The opening update stuff is really short and often to the point and there is no need to do a news segment
Chris is a miles better interviewer than Adam and actually asks guests about themselves
The quality of guests is far better than ACS, probably because he is much much nicer to everyone and "plays ball" by not shitting on everything when given the chance

On the minus side:
I find Chris to be terribly unfunny. The deeper he gets into improv the less enjoyable I find the episode, I had to dump out of the Ed Helms episode because there was so much bad improv. The vast majority of the laughs I have had have either come from Matt and Jonah or the guests.
Chris somehow makes politics even less enjoyable than Adam. The Brett Gelman episode was pretty political and felt more like a lecture/political circle jerk session than anything insightful, funny or interesting.

I get put off by all the smart alecks in the background at times trying to chime in and out-laugh each other. Who are those guys?

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

Nibroc wrote:
Hypermotard wrote:Many times I find that title is not accurate.

yeah trust the Carolla fan with THAT avatar when it comes to identifying funny.

You don't even know.
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

appleshampoo wrote:"The Goodfellas of figure skating"...Uhhh..okay.

Al Jarry
that's enough to humor me for now

Burt wrote:
zinc wrote:Rogan is ok if he has comedians or hunters. I skip the podcasts with the whack jobs or UFC crap.

I used to cherry pick Rogan pods. That was five years or so ago. Too much wackadoodle stuff for me. Also, for a stand-up, he's not very funny. Now there are a lot more pod options. Gotta give him the props though, in the podcast world he's one of the heavy hitters.

With you mostly on Rogan. I find the UFC talk boring, but I'm not his audience for that, so that's OK, but I give him credit for having an open mind. It's mostly the whack jobs I listen for, being a self-described one myself. I'm a big fan of Graham Hancock, who's been on a few times and is always interesting even when I don't agree with him, which is about half the time. The difference in vocabulary when he's talking with very educated people gets kind of startling though, when he interjects thoughtful comments phrased with a lot of vulgar language and receives an articulate reply. His conversation with Rupert Sheldrake is a great example of that. He also had Randall Carlson on, one of the most interesting people I've ever heard, and the difference in tone between the two was startling.

Watersmack

Al Jarry wrote:
Burt wrote:
zinc wrote:Rogan is ok if he has comedians or hunters. I skip the podcasts with the whack jobs or UFC crap.

I used to cherry pick Rogan pods. That was five years or so ago. Too much wackadoodle stuff for me. Also, for a stand-up, he's not very funny. Now there are a lot more pod options. Gotta give him the props though, in the podcast world he's one of the heavy hitters.

With you mostly on Rogan. I find the UFC talk boring, but I'm not his audience for that, so that's OK, but I give him credit for having an open mind. It's mostly the whack jobs I listen for, being a self-described one myself. I'm a big fan of Graham Hancock, who's been on a few times and is always interesting even when I don't agree with him, which is about half the time. The difference in vocabulary when he's talking with very educated people gets kind of startling though, when he interjects thoughtful comments phrased with a lot of vulgar language and receives an articulate reply. His conversation with Rupert Sheldrake is a great example of that. He also had Randall Carlson on, one of the most interesting people I've ever heard, and the difference in tone between the two was startling.

Isn't Graham Hancock that dude who scored an apartment after all the minorities struck put?

George Drooly

Al Jarry wrote:He also had Randall Carlson on, one of the most interesting people I've ever heard

Goddamned right, that was amazing. His comet/ice cap theory really does explain a lot about the 10-12,000 year calendars, lost civilizations, weather record anomalies, etc. Too bad the establishment will never take him seriously since he's basically a contractor*. Hey! Maybe Adam could have him on and talk about nailing schedules! I Sure as shit wouldn't hire him to build as much as a chicken coop, though.

Al Jarry

Watersmack wrote:
Al Jarry wrote:
Burt wrote:I used to cherry pick Rogan pods. That was five years or so ago. Too much wackadoodle stuff for me. Also, for a stand-up, he's not very funny. Now there are a lot more pod options. Gotta give him the props though, in the podcast world he's one of the heavy hitters.

Isn't Graham Hancock that dude who scored an apartment after all the minorities struck put?

Not sure what this means, but I'm only familiar with him as a writer and journalist. Among other topics where he and Rogan are in complete sympathy, he describes the value of hallucinogens to society and the individual, particularly ayahuasca, an experience that can be as terrifying as it is revelatory (or so he says -- I'll never know).

He also, like Randall Carlson, has quite a lot to say about civilization during the ice age and how the melting ice caps caused incredible losses to world culture because of the loss of port cities, forcing relocation several times as sea levels rose over several thousand years, losing invaluable cultural knowledge in the process.

Al Jarry

But on the subject of alternatives to Carolla, there's one I've listened to a few times. I can't say I recommend it because it's kind of superficial at times -- the guys try to seem open minded but have some very rigid ideologies and tend to ridicule ideas just because they disagree with it rather than on their merits. This, while they're discussing it as a topic of the show -- I want the information, not their biases, thank you. Anyway, it's called Out There Radio, available on iTunes or their site. One of the guys is one of the most knowledgeable people in the country on the Georgia Guidestones. It was the topic of a show and he wrote a book on it. I doubt it's the NWO bogeyman some conspiratorially-minded people try to make it out to be, but it's still pretty weird.

(The Thinking Sideways podcast also did a remarkably thorough job of discussing it. Another podcast I don't necessarily recommend for the same reason, but they select some really interesting topics and often research it better than not-bad.)

As I say, I don't necessarily recommend it, but that's just my opinion. Some of you may find it fantastic. Randall Carlson was on one show where he spoke for about 30-40 minutes on archeoastronomy. If I could make a transcript of that show, it would be a definitive description and defense of the subject.

Burt
SEG is correct

lovelinefan wrote:I like the Handel on the Law podcast, it's pretty funny.

He's a dick. He's funny. Irreverent. He does not tolerate all the wasted time, "Hi, how are you? Great. I'm good, thanks." I like that.
I appended several of his shows to one mp3 and I'll finish it, but that will prolly be the end of my pod listening to Handel. Fortunately, I do not now need legal advice, so buh-bye Handel. It was nice while it lasted.