Login   Register
 Login    Register
Good Alternatives to Adam and Carolla Digital?
lovelinefan
I don't have a dog and I don't like french fries

Burt wrote:
lovelinefan wrote:I like the Handel on the Law podcast, it's pretty funny.

He's a dick. He's funny. Irreverent. He does not tolerate all the wasted time, "Hi, how are you? Great. I'm good, thanks." I like that.
I appended several of his shows to one mp3 and I'll finish it, but that will prolly be the end of my pod listening to Handel. Fortunately, I do not now need legal advice, so buh-bye Handel. It was nice while it lasted.

I like the 80 year olds who call Handel's show and can't tell a coherent story to save their life. And when he gets frustrated and starts to scream that he'll have to take his lamictal early that day.
Lovelinefan ain't nothin to fuck with

Burt
SEG is correct

I intended to include this my Handel post. We had a radio attorney guy here in KC for many years. He grew up a block down the street from me, though he is ten years older than I so I didn't know him. FWIW I knew his little sister. Anyhoo, he was quite the man about town and radio personality for about 25 years. He was on the same 50,000 watt AM radio station as Rush Limbaugh. He was president of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association. His name is Jim Wirken and he now is a convicted thief.
http://jimmycsays.com/2014/12/03/jim-wirken-no-longer-wirken-on-the-law/

buytheredcar

Hardwick isn't a "nerd" at all. I found the Nerdist a pretentious googoo sessions.
Hardwick really goes overboard with the ass kissing over the guest. I feel like he asks the same questions over and over again. I feel like Ive learned nothing about the guest. Its just "3 nerds" just riffing about nothing and doing the forced laughter.
The Christian Slater ep was especially painful and repetitive.
Hardwick still sounds uncomfortable to me still with those longgg tangent type "questions". Probably buying time in his head because he doesn't know what to ask.
He is a boring guy asking boring questions.

Rogan is just a wanna be intellectual just repeating stuff he has read.
Most of his podcast are repeating the same crap over and over again and agreeing with the guest for 3 hours.
MMA stuff is boring as fuck.

Lando

Hardwick is a nerd, but he is a very mainstream hollywood nerd.

I think that Hardwick's ass kissing is why he gets high caliber guests and Carolla does not. However, he rarely asks hard question (but neither does Carolla, though that's just from not doing any research on the guest at all). If I find a good podcast that gets good quality guests and pushes them to go deep I would probably drop Nerdist for it.

iffin
I am the wife. Also, piss off.

Burt wrote:I intended to include this my Handel post. We had a radio attorney guy here in KC for many years. He grew up a block down the street from me, though he is ten years older than I so I didn't know him. FWIW I knew his little sister. Anyhoo, he was quite the man about town and radio personality for about 25 years. He was on the same 50,000 watt AM radio station as Rush Limbaugh. He was president of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association. His name is Jim Wirken and he now is a convicted thief.
http://jimmycsays.com/2014/12/03/jim-wirken-no-longer-wirken-on-the-law/

I always thought the Saul Goodman character on Breaking Bad had a lot of similarities to Bill Handel. Not physically, but like his voice and zaniness.

dorchester

Brett Easton Ellis has fixed the microphone issues, somewhat.

Mohr Stories is still decent, depending on the guests.

I agree with the thoughts on Nerdist. It's hit or miss and most of the miss is because of Hardwick's weird personality.

Most of my listening has switched to SiriusXM's online streams. It's a couple bucks a month, but Opie & Jim Norton has become my daily ACS replacement. And I really particularly enjoy Jim Norton's solo Advice Show on Wednesday afternoons. Only an hour long.

And of course, Classic Loveline!

Todd Brisket
human interaction simulation

buytheredcar wrote:Hardwick isn't a "nerd" at all. I found the Nerdist a pretentious googoo sessions.
Hardwick really goes overboard with the ass kissing over the guest. I feel like he asks the same questions over and over again. I feel like Ive learned nothing about the guest. Its just "3 nerds" just riffing about nothing and doing the forced laughter.
The Christian Slater ep was especially painful and repetitive.
Hardwick still sounds uncomfortable to me still with those longgg tangent type "questions". Probably buying time in his head because he doesn't know what to ask.
He is a boring guy asking boring questions.

Rogan is just a wanna be intellectual just repeating stuff he has read.
Most of his podcast are repeating the same crap over and over again and agreeing with the guest for 3 hours.
MMA stuff is boring as fuck.

BUT HE WATCHES DOCTOR WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

lovelinefan
I don't have a dog and I don't like french fries

I think Hardwick started out as a radio DJ, so he's probably used to kissing everyone's ass.
Lovelinefan ain't nothin to fuck with

Lando

I think I might be done with Nerdist. I had to dump out of the super dull Neco Case episode whom Chris proclaimed so funny that she should be doing standup.

Harry Seaward

3 rock solid podcasts:

Joe Rogan does incredible interviews. Graham Hancock will be on Nov 19th, check it out.
Infinite Monkey Cage is a BBC science show with physicist Brian Cox.
Alex Jones is entertaining as shit, shouting about the global elites being blood drinking satanists.
Made up podcast: Adam liked the name PO'Dcast and tossed a show together.

Burt
SEG is correct

Joe Rogan, Alex Jones...
You left out Art Bell.

Harry Seaward

Burt wrote:Joe Rogan, Alex Jones...
You left out Art Bell.

You have to pay for Art Bell
Made up podcast: Adam liked the name PO'Dcast and tossed a show together.

Watersmack

Burt wrote:Joe Rogan, Alex Jones...
You left out Art Bell.

RIP Tower Seven

EYE-WRONG-MANG

dorchester wrote:Brett Easton Ellis has fixed the microphone issues, somewhat.

Mohr Stories is still decent, depending on the guests.

I agree with the thoughts on Nerdist. It's hit or miss and most of the miss is because of Hardwick's weird personality.

Most of my listening has switched to SiriusXM's online streams. It's a couple bucks a month, but Opie & Jim Norton has become my daily ACS replacement. And I really particularly enjoy Jim Norton's solo Advice Show on Wednesday afternoons. Only an hour long.

And of course, Classic Loveline!

Agreed on Mohr stories. he can still crack me up, but for gawd's sake, he should never have his wife on the show. That woman is one big pile of miserable sarcasm.

dorchester

EYE-WRONG-MANG wrote:Agreed on Mohr stories. he can still crack me up, but for gawd's sake, he should never have his wife on the show. That woman is one big pile of miserable sarcasm.

I don't mind when she pops on to say hi for 5 minutes... like she's in the other room and jumps on for a minute. But a whole hour is too much. I'm not sure if I dislike her, or just dislike him fawning all over her about what a brilliant writer or whatever he thinks she is.

I dumped out of this week's episode after a few minutes. Too many options and I finally figured out the Sirius XM app for my iPad, so I'm catching up on a shitload of the Jim Norton Advice Show. It's what the Adam & Drew Show should/could have been.

I'm also cherry-picking Bill Simmons Podcast episodes. The interview and pop culture ones are worth a listen, the rest is just talking about betting lines... but it's easy to figure out which ones to skip.

This thread has reminded me how much podcasting kicks the shit out of traditional talk radio. :hipster: