Login   Register
 Login    Register
2016-01-21 ACS: Russell Simmons
poochies uncle

what is the process of picking people that will let you go in their homes and look in their fridge , while leading into conversations about lizard people. And how many people in your group would go to these investigation on vegans in their homes.

this sounds weird, You cant get people to answer the phone a take a survey, did they get paid and how far across the country would you guys travel to enter one of these vegans homes.

kombat

poochies uncle wrote:I think what most people are saying is the chemicals put in the food now a days for packaging and shelf life, that wont kill you that day ,but a culmination of these product over years will have health consequences in the long term.

Maybe I'm simply oblivious, but where are all the hospitals full of people dying from illnesses caused by these "preservatives?"

Ironically, the E. Coli outbreaks are most often linked to organic produce (particularly spinach), making the conventional alternative the safer choice.

poochies uncle wrote:Not to mention the over use of antibiotics in the meat and dairy industry that are cause superbugs that are antibiotic resistant

That's simply not true. The emergence of antibiotic resistant bacteria is a direct result in the widespread adoption of needlessly "antibiotic" products, like hand soap and dishwashing detergent, popularized by peoples' paranoia, stoked by misinformed conspiracy/health groups.

Provigilant

kombat wrote:Maybe I'm simply oblivious, but where are all the hospitals full of people dying from illnesses caused by these "preservatives?"

I don't think it is the preservatives that are killing people as much as the fat and high fructose corn syrup that is in everything. I don't think anyone will deny that America is becoming a nation of disgusting fat bodies with a ruined liver and pancreas.

kombat

Provigilant wrote:I don't think it is the preservatives that are killing people as much as the fat and high fructose corn syrup that is in everything. I don't think anyone will deny that America is becoming a nation of disgusting fat bodies with a ruined liver and pancreas.

I would've guessed "carbs."

Provigilant

kombat wrote:
Provigilant wrote:I don't think it is the preservatives that are killing people as much as the fat and high fructose corn syrup that is in everything. I don't think anyone will deny that America is becoming a nation of disgusting fat bodies with a ruined liver and pancreas.

High fructose corn syrup is a carb. Food manufacturers add it to a multitude of products as a sweetener. The government subsidizes companies like ADM and Nestle that produce fructose and milk fat, and it goes into all of our food. These companies employ millions of people, and their products have become a staple of the American diet. Unfortunately, like most things that are hypercaloric and yummy, their products will eventually kill you if you eat too much. The problem is it is hard to tell how much is too much. A belly full of fructose and milkfat feels the same as a belly full of fresh vegetables. However, the caloric content and means by which the body digests the food is completely different.

Here's a joke:

A Russian and a U.S. Army General are bragging about which side treats their soldiers better.
The Russian General says, "We treat our soldiers so well, we feed them a dinner of 2000 calories."
The U.S. General responds,"Oh yeah? That's nothing! We feed our soldiers a dinner of 3000 calories."
The Russian General yells, "Liar! No one can eat a whole bag of potatoes in one sitting!"

kombat

Provigilant wrote:High fructose corn syrup is a carb.

Right, sorry, I know. I was thinking more starchy carbs are the culprits, like rice, potatoes, corn, grain, etc.

Provigilant wrote:Food manufacturers add it to a multitude of products as a sweetener.

Yup. It's cheap, stable, effective and readily available.

Provigilant wrote:The government subsidizes companies like ADM and Nestle that produce fructose and milk fat, and it goes into all of our food.

The government subsidizes all kinds of businesses, including banks, car manufacturers, oil companies and even organic farmers.

And also ... "ALL of our food???" How much HFCS is in my lettuce?

Provigilant wrote:These companies employ millions of people, and their products have become a staple of the American diet. Unfortunately, like most things that are hypercaloric and yummy, their products will eventually kill you if you eat too much.

Right. But there's nothing toxic about HFCS or milk fat in particular - it's the combination of a long accumulation of a surplus of calories and cholesterol, and an increasingly sedentary lifestyle. Those calories can come from anywhere, but carbs and sweet are the magic combination of cheap and tasty. You can have plenty of obese people on a diet that is low in milk and HFCS. Look at countries in Asia. They too are grappling with an exploding obesity problem, yet they subsist mainly on simple starchy carbs (rice, noodles), and consume virtually no dairy products at all (over 90% of them are lactose intolerant in some regions).

Provigilant

The government subsidizes all kinds of businesses, including banks, car manufacturers, oil companies and even organic farmers.

Agreed. The reason is money. As I said in an earlier post, this is the way the system works. There is no conspiracy. People need food, and these companies provide it, along with millions of jobs. However, the products they produce may not be the most healthy thing to eat ("Soylent Green is people!!!!!").

The problem is if the food these companies produce goes away, so do the jobs and the money. Basically, it is a form of corporate welfare. The government also spends billions of dollars on tanks, even though the military doesn't need them. When do you think we are going to have our next big tank battle? Probably never. However, we have to keep making them so people can have jobs to buy the food.

And also ... "ALL of our food???" How much HFCS is in my lettuce?

I should have said "processed" or "manufactured" food.

Right. But there's nothing toxic about HFCS or milk fat in particular - it's the combination of a long accumulation of a surplus of calories and cholesterol, and an increasingly sedentary lifestyle. Those calories can come from anywhere, but carbs and sweet are the magic combination of cheap and tasty. You can have plenty of obese people on a diet that is low in milk and HFCS. Look at countries in Asia. They too are grappling with an exploding obesity problem, yet they subsist mainly on simple starchy carbs (rice, noodles), and consume virtually no dairy products at all (over 90% of them are lactose intolerant in some regions).

I never said these things are toxic. I said the world is becoming fatter and contracting diseases like diabetes because people consume too many calories from processed foods. As you say, even Asian countries are becoming fatter, because cheaper calories are readily available in processed foods, especially among young people.

lovelinefan
I don't have a dog and I don't like french fries

Lovelinefan ain't nothin to fuck with

poochies uncle

kombat wrote:
poochies uncle wrote:I think what most people are saying is the chemicals put in the food now a days for packaging and shelf life, that wont kill you that day ,but a culmination of these product over years will have health consequences in the long term.

Maybe I'm simply oblivious, but where are all the hospitals full of people dying from illnesses caused by these "preservatives?"
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34615621
Processed meats - such as bacon, sausages and ham - do cause cancer, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
Its report said 50g of processed meat a day - less than two slices of bacon - increased the chance of developing colorectal cancer by 18%.
Meanwhile, it said red meats were "probably carcinogenic" but there was limited evidence.

The WHO did stress that meat also had health benefits.

Cancer Research UK said this was a reason to cut down rather than give up red and processed meats.
And added that an occasional bacon sandwich would do little harm.
What is processed meat?
Processed meat has been modified to either extend its shelf life or change the taste and the main methods are smoking, curing, or adding salt or preservatives.
Simply putting beef through a mincer does not mean the resulting mince is "processed" unless it is modified further.
Processed meat includes bacon, sausages, hot dogs, salami, corned beef, beef jerky and ham as well as canned meat and meat-based sauces.
It is the chemicals involved in the processing which could be increasing the risk of cancer. High temperature cooking, such as on a barbeque, can also create carcinogenic chemicals.
In the UK, around six out of every 100 people get bowel cancer at some point in their lives.
If they were all given an extra 50g of bacon a day for the rest of their lives then the risk would increase by 18% to around seven in 100 people getting bowel cancer.
"So that's one extra case of bowel cancer in all those 100 lifetime bacon-eaters," argued Sir David Spiegelhalter, a risk professor from the University of Cambridge

Ironically, the E. Coli outbreaks are most often linked to organic produce (particularly spinach), making the conventional alternative the safer choice.

poochies uncle wrote:Not to mention the over use of antibiotics in the meat and dairy industry that are cause superbugs that are antibiotic resistant

That's simply not true. The emergence of antibiotic resistant bacteria is a direct result in the widespread adoption of needlessly "antibiotic" products, like hand soap and dishwashing detergent, popularized by peoples' paranoia, stoked by misinformed conspiracy/health groups.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... er-in-meat

In a report Monday, the American Academy of Pediatrics detailed the overuse of antibiotics in animals, which can make bacteria such as salmonella, E. coli and Campylobacter stronger and resistant to drugs previously able to fight them off. The federal government has been warning Americans about the dangers of overusing antibiotics in hospitals and of asking doctors to prescribe them when they aren't necessary, but what hasn't received as much widespread attention is the danger that can occur when these medicines are overfed to animals, the academy wrote

Antibiotics were once considered a miracle drug, opening the door to surgeries that hadn't been possible before, including organ transplants. Before their use, a simple cut could mean death if it became infected. In recent years, however, the overuse of these drugs has become a major global threat that the World Health Organization has drawn attention to, reporting also on Monday that its latest survey results show these superbugs are widely misunderstood.

In a farm setting, caretakers administer antibiotics and hormones to animals to fight infections, but also for nonmedical purposes, including to make animals grow faster while simultaneously feeding them less. As a result of overexposure, animals can develop infections that drugs cannot fight, the same way humans can when they eat foods that have been contaminated by bacteria.

Bacteria can spread to other livestock in contaminated quarters, and when the animals are slaughtered for meat and delivered to supermarkets, children can become exposed by eating infected meat. Farm workers or people who visit farms can also become infected. If the infectious bacteria is drug resistant, any drugs given in a hospital or at the doctor's office would be ineffective.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year more than 2 million Americans become sick because of drug-resistant bacteria, and more than 23,000 of them die. For most infections, incidence is highest among children younger than 5, the academy says.

Many of the drugs used to combat infections are the same in humans as they are in animals, but humans – who themselves are given too many antibiotics – still use significantly fewer than animals do. In 2012, more than 32.2 million pounds of antibiotics were used in animals, compared with 7.25 million pounds of these medicines used in humans. While humans need a prescription from a doctor to access antibiotics, nearly all drugs used in animals do not need a prescription from a vet and can be bought over the counter.

poochies uncle

Provigilant wrote:
kombat wrote:

High fructose corn syrup is a carb. Food manufacturers add it to a multitude of products as a sweetener. The government subsidizes companies like ADM and Nestle that produce fructose and milk fat, and it goes into all of our food. These companies employ millions of people, and their products have become a staple of the American diet. Unfortunately, like most things that are hypercaloric and yummy, their products will eventually kill you if you eat too much. The problem is it is hard to tell how much is too much. A belly full of fructose and milkfat feels the same as a belly full of fresh vegetables. However, the caloric content and means by which the body digests the food is completely different.

Here's a joke:

A Russian and a U.S. Army General are bragging about which side treats their soldiers better.
The Russian General says, "We treat our soldiers so well, we feed them a dinner of 2000 calories."
The U.S. General responds,"Oh yeah? That's nothing! We feed our soldiers a dinner of 3000 calories."
The Russian General yells, "Liar! No one can eat a whole bag of potatoes in one sitting!"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 112705.htm
Now researchers at Duke University Medical Center believe they better understand what mechanism may account for fructose-related liver injury.

Chronic fructose consumption in a diet puts people at risk for depleting their store of critically important molecules called ATP, which provide liver cells (and other body cells) energy for important cellular processes, including metabolism.

"The stores of liver ATP are decreased in obese and/or diabetic individuals who chronically consume increased amounts of fructose-containing beverages," said lead author Manal Abdelmalek, MD, MPH, associate professor of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Duke.

The study was published online at the Hepatology journal site on May 2.

Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is currently the leading cause of chronic liver disease in the United States. This condition can lead to elevated liver enzymes, inflammation and rarely even advanced scarring (cirrhosis) in individuals who do not drink alcohol. In obesity and/or diabetes, the ability of the cells to optimally make ATP may already be impaired.

Unlike other simple sugars, fructose requires ATP for its metabolism. The inability to optimally generate cellular energy as well and the continued consumption of ATP from chronic fructose ingestion can result in the liver's depletion of energy. ATP depletion may increase risk for inflammation and scarring in the liver.

"The state of being insulin resistant impairs the ability of a vital enzyme, AMP kinase, to make new ATP molecules," Abdelmalek explained. "Increased fructose consumption, and excess utilization of ATP favors the increase in molecules that lead to increased fatty acid synthesis as well as increased uric acid."

The researchers also noted that more uric acid is produced in the body when excess fructose is consumed. Too much uric acid is associated with conditions that include gout, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and uric acid stones, a form of kidney stones.

The silver lining is that measuring the amount of uric acid in these individuals may help doctors predict the presence and monitor the severity of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, Abdelmalek said.

Research Abdelmalek published in the Journal of Hepatology in 2008 showed that, within a small subset of patients, fructose-containing beverages were associated with NAFLD compared to patients with comparable weight, age, and gender. Her 2010 research, published in Hepatology, went further and linked fructose with the liver injury and scarring (fibrosis).

The current study evaluated adults enrolled in the NIH-sponsored Look Ahead Fatty Liver Disease Ancillary Study headed by senior author Jeanne M.Clark, M.D., MPH, at Johns Hopkins University. The researchers analyzed dietary questionnaires collected in patients who underwent a magnetic resonance imaging to measure liver fat as well as an intravenous fructose challenge to evaluate the liver's ATP stores and response to ATP depletion.

Patients enrolled in the Look Ahead study had been counseled on lower dietary sugar consumption for the management of diabetes. Despite the overall lower levels of fructose use in this study population, the researchers found evidence of liver ATP depletion in those who consumed more fructose.

"The fact we found a difference in liver ATP stores at lower levels of dietary fructose intake does suggest that higher fructose consumption (as would occur with the consumption of processed food and sweetened beverages) could deplete the liver of energy and thus risk causing worse metabolic problems and potentially even liver injury," Abdelmalek said. In the past 30 years, Abdelmalek and authors wrote, fructose consumption has more than doubled

Watersmack

I click on this thread just to clear the "unread" indicator.

4k78

Watersmack wrote:I click on this thread just to clear the "unread" indicator.

Heh. Me too after the walls of copy and paste have inundated this thread.

poochies uncle

Make America great again!

pod98
it's been FAR too long since a passionfruit rant

i heard him interviewed on another show, and it's just all the same crap. he reminds me of someone trying to force their religion or sobriety or whatever on everyone.

Mcnugget
Yarrrrr

Doesn't Adam say he had tremendous back pain bc he was poor and shoveling for $10? Now he has money and can have anything he wants, could afford invitro fertilization, starting getting his dick sucked, didn't need shitty roommates. He can now afford the cars that make him justified in telling people to fuck off he's the guy in the jag. How is he seriously saying money can't make you happy?