Login   Register
 Login    Register
2016-02-15 ACS: Andrew Stockdale and Brad Williams
lovelinefan
I don't have a dog and I don't like french fries

Watersmack wrote:
Hypermotard wrote:I read out loud. Aloud?

That is allowed.

Here's what's not allowed: Tearing down Kanye's stage, he freaked out about it before SNL started taping.
Lovelinefan ain't nothin to fuck with

1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

WhelmedButNotOverly wrote:The way I try to explain this to white people...

Lord's work, etc.
Follow @CarollaBoards for updates & news! -- TWITTER ME @1780sGuy
Feeney, to Dameshek (re: reading message boards): How 'bout you read your daughter a book? "Oh, no no no, I gotta see what 1780's Guy said." [Daves Of Thunder, Episode 60]

Mcnugget
Yarrrrr

Kanye has great songs lately he's been sloppy as hell

Harmony_Keane

Did you listen to the song I posted though? If so, did you like it? Because that's old school Kanye in his initial, true hip-hop phase of producing.

OK, just to show I can be openminded I did go back and listened to it. The best I can say is that while I can call the music under the rapping "music"....it sounds kind of like old-fashioned elevator music... :?: Odd.

That is kind of how I place myself. I just cannot connect to it, so I just put it in that "does not work for me" category.

The best comparison is my Dad, who was 44 when I was born and was raised during the Depression. He ONLY listened to classical music, so anything I listened to was "repetitive and lacked sophistication", so it was maddening as a teenager to put up with his idiotic declarations about the music. I am not going to be that guy when talking about hip hop.

My dad was raised during that time as well! He was very into the big band music of that time and kind of out of it when the 60s/70s came around and rock music came in. Not into it at all and complained often about my music. Except Blondie. Hilarious. He loved it when I played Blondie records. :P

Anyhow. I really think age isn't a major factor when it comes to discerning bad music from good. And the stuff out nowadays isn't a case of "I'm too old to understand". It is really very bad. Nothing clever, nothing groundbreaking. What I do understand is the "music of an angry youth" whether it be punk to kids of the late 70s or gangster rap to the kids of the late 90s. I don't like gangster rap and don't think there's any talent in it, but at least I do understand that appeal to angry and disillusioned black youth as well as the middle class white kids who wanted to appear just as tough.

I'm not sure what any of the stuff today is supposed to do or appeal to. It's not a "new" sound that old people can't understand. It's been around awhile now. It's like a bunch of electronic stuff you can make up by playing around on an electronic keyboard. :|

Mcnugget
Yarrrrr