Login   Register
 Login    Register
2016-02-15 ACS: Andrew Stockdale and Brad Williams
Cherry Pie
Perhaps I'm making snap judgments again.

Adam: You get strange ideas and you do strange things when you're off for four days in a row. You decide to eat ice cream at 10 am.

:shock:

Cut to me: 9:40 am eating an ice cream cone.

Damn! This reminds me of the time he guessed the girl's boyfriend worked at the batting cages.
The new strategy is to lead a person to racists waters and hope they drink so they fight the monkey-tard wars and don't notice Wallstreet, the healthcare company and big corps that are robbing the middle class - Poochie's Uncle

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

Great Magnet.
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

Neil T wrote:Ow, my balls are on fire. etc.

Harmony_Keane

Hip-hop is an entirely different language and Adam is trying to compare his english to mandarin. The way I try to explain this to white people is Kanye is like a great hip-hop composer….he should be compared to Duke Ellington, not John Coltrane. In the intro to Common’s Be album, he doesn't play the instruments but arranges them in a very creative (and at the time groundbreaking) way.

Sorry, but I'm 100% with Adam on this. The thing he played on his show wasn't even listenable. And no different than any other electronic-sounding hip hop stuff I've heard, except perhaps worse. Weird argument that just because someone jumbles sounds around it's all of a sudden "groundbreaking". I guess I could do anything then, and consider it groundbreaking....perhaps throw coins in a blender and turn it on? It's like the artists that smear shit on a canvas and are applauded because it was something no one thought of before. I don't see the comparison at all to Duke Ellington...? A jazz artist who actually can play music?

It's not a white-vs-black music thing, either. I can appreciate innovation if it's listenable and talent created it. Traditionally black genres of music, especially the old-time blues of the 50s, show so much real talent and creativity. So the "I don't think white people can ever understand..." type of thinking is really confusing. I can't stand the WHITE pop stars of today who ALSO play horrid non-music. Are people these days really THAT stupid they stand around thinking, wow, this is such a delight to listen to?

broiler_x
I'm a scientist.

Harmony_Keane wrote:
Sorry, but I'm 100% with Adam on this. The thing he played on his show wasn't even listenable. And no different than any other electronic-sounding hip hop stuff I've heard, except perhaps worse. Weird argument that just because someone jumbles sounds around it's all of a sudden "groundbreaking". I guess I could do anything then, and consider it groundbreaking....perhaps throw coins in a blender and turn it on? It's like the artists that smear shit on a canvas and are applauded because it was something no one thought of before. I don't see the comparison at all to Duke Ellington...? A jazz artist who actually can play music?

It's not a white-vs-black music thing, either. I can appreciate innovation if it's listenable and talent created it. Traditionally black genres of music, especially the old-time blues of the 50s, show so much real talent and creativity. So the "I don't think white people can ever understand..." type of thinking is really confusing. I can't stand the WHITE pop stars of today who ALSO play horrid non-music. Are people these days really THAT stupid they stand around thinking, wow, this is such a delight to listen to?

Totally agree. Kanye should stick with producing and step away from the auto tune.

Now, that Rich Banks' "Gotta Have Faith" was pure gold!
Last edited by broiler_x on February 17th, 2016, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lovelinefan
I don't have a dog and I don't like french fries

Harmony_Keane wrote:I can't stand the WHITE pop stars of today who ALSO play horrid non-music. Are people these days really THAT stupid they stand around thinking, wow, this is such a delight to listen to?

What do you think of Alabama Shakes?
Lovelinefan ain't nothin to fuck with

WhelmedButNotOverly
known to bed down those of lesser intelligence

Harmony_Keane wrote:
Hip-hop is an entirely different language and Adam is trying to compare his english to mandarin. The way I try to explain this to white people is Kanye is like a great hip-hop composer….he should be compared to Duke Ellington, not John Coltrane. In the intro to Common’s Be album, he doesn't play the instruments but arranges them in a very creative (and at the time groundbreaking) way.

Well at some point there's a past the point of no return cultural/generational barrier to 'white people can't understand' and I'm assuming you're past that age. You wouldn't be able to connect to modern hip-hop and nor should you. And it works the other way around too....I'm just too far removed the zeitgeist of the Beatles to truly appreciate how great they were.

Did you listen to the song I posted though? If so, did you like it? Because that's old school Kanye in his initial, true hip-hop phase of producing. I don't like what Kanye is doing now either but you probably didn't know he had multiple incarnations and that's what I'm pointing out here. This incarnation sucks but Kanye as a whole is still talented. (hence - explaining to white people)

The Duke Ellington comparison is apt in a producer/composer sense, where Duke made the most of his success. Adam keeps comparing Kanye to people that play instruments for proof that he doesn't have talent but that's ridiculous. Quincy Jones doesn't have talent by that definition.
Brought to you by the Talented Mr. Ripley......minus the homicidal, homoerotic, sociopathic, recidivism.

Tijuanapussypatrol

I compare Kanye to Dr. Dre. The Chronic was a great album but Dre isn't as good of a rapper as Snoop. Yet he's a great producer. College Dropout was a very good album but I can't get into the auto tune stuff. It doesn't help that Dre and Snoop seem cool while Kanye comes off as an egomaniac.

WhelmedButNotOverly

Dre is a great comparison if you understand hip-hop. I'm trying to explain Kayne's impact/talent in a mainstream way though so I need to use mainstream producers.
Brought to you by the Talented Mr. Ripley......minus the homicidal, homoerotic, sociopathic, recidivism.

BTaylor
Banana Cream Pie Pundit

WhelmedButNotOverly wrote:Well at some point there's a past the point of no return cultural/generational barrier to 'white people can't understand' and I'm assuming you're past that age. You wouldn't be able to connect to modern hip-hop and nor should you.

That is kind of how I place myself. I just cannot connect to it, so I just put it in that "does not work for me" category.

The best comparison is my Dad, who was 44 when I was born and was raised during the Depression. He ONLY listened to classical music, so anything I listened to was "repetitive and lacked sophistication", so it was maddening as a teenager to put up with his idiotic declarations about the music. I am not going to be that guy when talking about hip hop.

WhelmedButNotOverly

BTaylor wrote:
WhelmedButNotOverly wrote:Well at some point there's a past the point of no return cultural/generational barrier to 'white people can't understand' and I'm assuming you're past that age. You wouldn't be able to connect to modern hip-hop and nor should you.

That is kind of how I place myself. I just cannot connect to it, so I just put it in that "does not work for me" category.

The best comparison is my Dad, who was 44 when I was born and was raised during the Depression. He ONLY listened to classical music, so anything I listened to was "repetitive and lacked sophistication", so it was maddening as a teenager to put up with his idiotic declarations about the music. I am not going to be that guy when talking about hip hop.

It's inevitable. I catch myself doing it when Rae Sremmurd comes up on my Spotify and I'm still young….the only difference is I'm aware of why I don't like it.

color me disappointed BTay. I always pictured you as the Principal from that alternative learning school in Atlanta…..are you telling me you don't know all the latest moves?

phpBB [video]

BTaylor
Banana Cream Pie Pundit

WhelmedButNotOverly wrote:
BTaylor wrote:

It's inevitable. I catch myself doing it when Rae Sremmurd comes up on my Spotify and I'm still young….the only difference is I'm aware of why I don't like it.

color me disappointed BTay. I always pictured you as the Principal from that alternative learning school in Atlanta…..are you telling me you don't know all the latest moves?

phpBB [video]

I am not familiar with this fellow white tribesman, but reading through the comments people love this guy.

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

WhelmedButNotOverly wrote: I don't like what Kanye is doing now either

That's all I needed to hear.
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

WhelmedButNotOverly

Hypermotard wrote:
WhelmedButNotOverly wrote: I don't like what Kanye is doing now either

That's all I needed to hear.

You can hear through text now? Teach me your ways Jedi.

Isn't it pretty standard to not like an artist’s new work if they've been around for awhile? Like when you go to the concert of your favorite band, cheer for their oldies and hit the concessions for the new stuff. This is Kayne's concession stand material.

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

I read out loud. Aloud?

Watersmack

Hypermotard wrote:I read out loud. Aloud?

That is allowed.