Login   Register
 Login    Register
Why does Gina start every news story with "well..."?
kombat

Is it a verbal tick? A habit from radio? I can't not notice it now, and it bumps me a little. Every single news story, she starts off like this:

"Well Donald Trump is one step closer to locking down the Republican nomination...."

"Well Caitlin Jenner can breathe a sigh of relief as it was just announced her show was renewed for another season..."

"Well if you thought beer was bad for you, doctors have good news..."

Listen for it. Am I crazy? It's annoying, right? What's up with that?

HowWouldIKnowThat
My bad, didn't even look at what thread we were in

Well, I've definitely noticed it, but you gotta let some things roll off man.
_me wrote:a guy sucking YOUR dick doesn't mean you're gay

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

Well, put a tarp down first.
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

appleshampoo wrote:"The Goodfellas of figure skating"...Uhhh..okay.

RickRude

Well, it's because she sucks.
What I'd like to have right now is for all you fat, out of shape, DimeForScale douchebags, to keep the noise down while I take my robe off and show all the ladies what a real man is supposed to look like.

1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

RudeRick /Neil
Follow @CarollaBoards for updates & news! -- TWITTER ME @1780sGuy
Feeney, to Dameshek (re: reading message boards): How 'bout you read your daughter a book? "Oh, no no no, I gotta see what 1780's Guy said." [Daves Of Thunder, Episode 60]

msmont

She has to have some sort of connecting word, I don't see what's wrong with "well".

I do hate the topics of the news though. It's basically the recycled crap from her morning show where they talk about the trashiest Kardashian/Charlie Sheen junk possible.

HowWouldIKnowThat
My bad, didn't even look at what thread we were in

I'm not sure she choses the stories, don't they come from a Mike? I go back and forth on the news content. Yes, they mostly talk about non-news, but that might be for the best since the hope is just to set up some lulz. I don't think we need more of Adam's real talk about important matters.
_me wrote:a guy sucking YOUR dick doesn't mean you're gay

Todd Brisket
human interaction simulation

So this is not as bad as people that start off with the word 'so'. (See: pet peeves thread)

BTaylor
Banana Cream Pie Pundit

So you're saying she goes to the well too often with that one irregardless if it is needed. Got it.

Pascal's Pager
aka: the pretentious bigmouth

At least she has several variations to mix it up.

1. The let's-just-get-through-it version: "WelltheSupremeCourt has decided..."
2. The raising-an-eyebrow up-talk version: "Welllllllll, Kanye West has some explaining to do..."
3. The declarative you-won't-believe-this version: "Well! Caitlyn Jenner is going to need a new publicist..."

Davis Bowl

It's way less annoying than Alison Rosen starting off with "Sooooo..."

agentO777

Well she doesn't have much of a personality or anything to add to the show, so she has to have something to connect all of her recycled fluff piece stories.

It's still not as annoying as when she uses her cheerful tone to talk about gruesome news about murder or terrorism.

Harmony_Keane

Davis Bowl wrote:It's way less annoying than Alison Rosen starting off with "Sooooo..."

You know, I've noticed this "So..." starter word everywhere lately. Every newscast and radio interview these days when the interviewer asks a question, the person replying will always start with "So,...." Even when the contestants on Shark Tank are answering questions from the millionaires they start off their answers with "So,..." It's weird. Is there some professional speech class where they teach this as the proper method of answering questions??"

lovelinefan
I don't have a dog and I don't like french fries

Haven't noticed that on Shark Tank but it sounds annoying as hell. It makes it seem like they're trying to buy time while they think of an answer to the question.
Lovelinefan ain't nothin to fuck with

wojonixon
Lily white and always polite

I'll take "so" and "well" over "I mean" to start every answer to any question, even when the question isn't "What do you mean?", like for instance:

Person 1: How was your day?
Irritating Person 2: I mean, it was pretty good, but it could have been better.

There was no previous statement to clarify for heaven's sakes.