Login   Register
 Login    Register
Live shows: First free, second 2.99?
Neil T
Dead chuffed

On the January 26th show, Adam floated the idea of offering the "Live" shows in a different way.
The first show (8pm, for example) would be given away as a podcast for free, but the second show's podcast (10pm, for example) would be sold for $2.99.
How say you?
Last edited by Neil T on January 26th, 2010, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

RajunCaucasian

I would be willing to pay .99 but not more than that. If I get one of the live recordings for free my appetite will have already been satiated. I think I messed up some spelling in that sentence... oh well
JGdmn wrote:Rajun is white?!?!?

Well nevermind. Fuck that cracker.

ebolarama
intentionally bad ass wiper

I wouldn't personally... I think ads are a much more viable revenue generator for podcasts than download fees. Maybe do a humorous live read or two during the show?

Two Bit Monster

I don’t think that’s a viable business model. Why would people pay to listen to something they had already gotten a slightly different version of for free? Most of the podcasts I listen to have incorporated advertising as a way to defray expenses.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

An interesting article on a newspaper going behind a paywall: http://www.observer.com/2010/media/after-t...wsdays-web-site

Glaeken
I have hair growing out of my earlobes

Yeah, Newsday just tried this and ended up with 35 subscribers TOTAL.
I personally don't listen to the live shows after the lackluster fundraiser, so no way I'd pay to let it sit.
Back in cat hair-covered black.

JGdmn
Hypocritical Singing Carpenter

Glaeken wrote:I personally don't listen to the live shows after the lackluster fundraiser, so no way I'd pay to let it sit.

Whoa. You're missing out. They've all been better organized and thought out on all sides.
But I might be a little more discriminatory if they start charging. I might not shell out any money if the line-up isn't one I like. Also, simply trying to pay for something like audio online is a slight pain in the ass for me as well. Subscriber stuff is way easier for me too.

ebolarama
intentionally bad ass wiper

I wouldn't pay for an actual download... but I would like to offer a crisp $20 bill to the first person to come over to my apartment and act out the podcast episode of their choice.

Ascendancy
1.21 Jigawatts!

ebolarama wrote:I wouldn't pay for an actual download... but I would like to offer a crisp $20 bill to the first person to come over to my apartment and act out the podcast episode of their choice.

Where do we get tickets for that?

Neil T
Dead chuffed

neilt0 wrote:Unless they're holding it to release it as a pay-only option.
The first show has Drew in it, so that could be more "valuable". I bloody hope they don't, though.

I nailed it!* Confirmed on today's live streaming. This show is being sold for $2.99. Adam even said that having Drew on the show added value.
Gabeshedd, you may want to point the "powers that be" to the above poll...
Or just wait to see how many people pay for this show. :D
I've got no problem paying for the ACP, but $2.99 for one show is silly.
It should be positioned differently. $2.99 a month or $5 a month, or $10 a month, or $49 a year or whatever would look a lot better of a deal IMO.
* © 2010, Scott Colbath

RajunCaucasian

neilt0 wrote:I nailed it!*
* © 2010, Scott Colbath

I believe SC copyrighted I FUCKIN NAILED IT.
Also dammit! I won't be paying for this one sadly, I will just DL an old loveline instead.
JGdmn wrote:Rajun is white?!?!?

Well nevermind. Fuck that cracker.

jackthatdork

i paid for the fundraiser because it was a nice thing to do.
as much as i enjoy the podcast i know i'll only listen to every episode once. i can't make myself spend money on something i'll only use once.

laxdude
The game, not the airport, eh.

Since I am sure they are going the easy way, and using the uncaring if not outright evil PayPal who have already tried to ruin me once, no FUCKING way will I pay.
If it were through iTunes I might, but only if they had an amazing guest - even then, if it was a good guest I would want them for a 60 minute sit down, not 15 minutes standing uncomfortably in front of a group of drunkards. You are also charging too much for the podcast, but selling it at all devalues what the people are paying to go to the live show.
So great plan, give the shit away for free and expect people to buy the good stuff.
Seriously, follow the Leo Laporte model and not Jimmy Pardo.
I already DIDN'T pay for the Laughs for BB event because of Paypall, someone else paid for me who then later had a family member fucked over by PayPal.
I have been increasingly uninterested in the podcast lately, this time due to the live shows, and yes, the unacceptable and uneven sound quality remains a problem. I have 7 shows that I haven't bothered to listen to on a podcast that I originally stayed up late to listen to as live as I could get it.
At least when you go behind the pay wall I will still have the entire TACS to listen through again.
Last edited by laxdude on February 2nd, 2010, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwornPacifist

I'll spend $0.99 (or a similarly-priced package deal, like 5 eps for $5), but $3 is too much, sorry Aceman, please lower the price
Gabe, I hope you're passing these on, I have this weird feeling that the info passes in the office like such:
interns->Weez->Ace
And I'm worried the Weez/Ace communication barrier prevents this sort of info from reaching Ace, but hopefully I'm wrong about that

SwornPacifist

laxdude wrote:Seriously, follow the Leo Laporte model and not Jimmy Pardo.

This. Seriously