Login   Register
 Login    Register
"Old" Podcast vs. "New" Show Format
HauntedJay

The Adam Carolla Podcast vs. The Adam Carolla Show
I want to know what you think. Do you like the the old intimate setting of Adam and a guest just getting it on, with a sprinkle of a weekly Almost Live Podcast? Or do you prefer the new format of a "Morning Drive" radio show feel with Teresa, Bald Bryan and his drops?
Just reply to the post with either an "Old" Adam Carolla Podcast or "New" Adam Carolla Show.
Feel free to explain your answer in detail!
Also, throw on your city and state so I can get an idea of where you're coming from.

HauntedJay

Yeah... I got a spelling error in that poll. I'm pretty sure that everyone knows it's spelled Carolla and not "Carlla". I'm even more sure that it's going to get pointed out.
Either way. You get the point. Just vote and get on with it.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

Too soon to tell.

bencandy

neilt0 wrote:Too soon to tell.

It's not too soon. I already know exactly how tiresome and un-clever Theresa and Bryan are. Off the top of my head this is how i'd itemize the problems with these two.
Theresa:
obsequiousness is way too obvious and obtrusive
too much eagerness reminiscent of a lap dog
compulsive need to put a finer point on other people's points is tiresome, useless, adds clutter
cornball sense of humor
relies too much on "Ooooh" "ahhhh" and "ugggh" sounds (sorry, that's just horrible broadcasting)
speaking voice tends to get shrill
too much cackling
brings too much focus on herself
Bryan:
same tired old drops going back to 2006, nothing new
drops are too much dialogue, cluttering up the show
sarcastic sense of humor is tiresome
mush mouth
Together they create this "comedy workshop" atmosphere that is ponderous at best and the polar opposite of funny at its worst. Anyone who has seen bad improv theater understands that comedy is a gift that certain people are touched with. Comedy by the numbers is just not that funny. I understand if people like Theresa and Brian personally, I guess they are chipper and bring a certain can-do attitude, but nobody in their right mind can argue that they don't bring Adam down to a more ordinary uninspired level. This setup is just more work for Adam because he has to constantly give-and-take with these two. Maybe there is a reason the KLSX show didn't take off.

HauntedJay

Ben,
I could not agree with you more. I had originally written up my thoughts on the "New" Adam Carolla Show but I didn't want to put my write up here just yet. I didn't want to tip the scales one way or another. I do see where Neil is coming from when he says "too early to tell" but I also see your point that it's not to early to tell. I agree with you because I feel like this is it and it only takes one show to find out how you feel about where this is going. But in respect to Neil, I'm trying to give it a chance, only in hopes that it forms into something better. However, you have touched on some key points.
But one of those points, three shows into the new format, is really resonating with me. The effing "drops". Childish and annoying. They bring a "low-class" feel to this whole experience that is just as nauseating as it is disheartening. The fact that they build up the whole thing makes it that much more sad. They build up how good Bryan is with the drops and how much time and money they spent on their "drop machine". And for what? Little blurbs of unnecessary nonsense?
As I mentioned earlier, I do have a write up on the whole subject that I'll post soon. Not that I think my opinion matters or is any more important than anyone elses, but it's just an opinion. It's an opinion from someone who has been listening to AC since about 1997 and also a huge fan of his work. With that being said, to have him begin what was the "old" Adam Carolla Podcast last year seemed, to me at least, the pinnicale of his radio career. He's never been better than he was for the first year of this venture. So to see that this is not only where they are going with this show, and that this is what they were building up to for the last year, is just confusing.
That's enough soapboxing out of me for now. I do have to say that I'm quite disappointed in the low numbers of people who have voted in this poll. I'm not looking to slam or make an attempt to sink this new venture but rather I really just want to see if I'm the only one that feels this way. Hopefully we'll get more out of the poll in the coming days or weeks.
Cheers.
Last edited by HauntedJay on June 3rd, 2010, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArgyleBob

The New Show is great and I don't care what the rest of you think.
I really like that Adam and the crew are throwing themselves at this project so hard. I listen every single day, and I think they are finally going the direction that eventually everyone will have to go to. I have loved the radio for as long as I can remember, and now that traditional radio is going the way of the Dodo, there has to be a new option. The problem with podcasting is the same problem with message boards. every person who has an opinion or voice can literally voice it. Call me a Nazi, but every person being able to say whatever they would like has only led to a downward spiral in the meaningfullness of words. The spoken word is a skill and a learned trait that can be improved and preacticed and there are few finer in this day and age than our man Adam Carolla.
And for the record I think that Teresa and Bald Bryan are comletely delightful. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

I meant too soon to tell for me, personally -- so I didn't vote in the poll.
Towards the end of the original ACS, T was driving me crazy with her constant jamming of her Shrew Umbrella in Ace's Comedy Bicycle Spokes, and I am just hoping against hope that she doesn't do it again in the All New <s>Popeye</s> Adam Carolla Show.
In today's show, she alternated between not shutting up, followed by being completely mute [crickets].
Overall, I've enjoyed the New ACS, but it's a cautious Welcome Back from Uncle Neil.

HauntedJay

Bob -
I wouldn't call you a Nazi but it appears that you may be contradicting yourself a bit. You think that the right to opinion is essentially the downward spiral in the meaningfulness of words, however you have no problem using your own "voice" to share your opinions. Interesting. I can't share that same view as you. Casual, intelligent conversation could not be classified as a negative thing. It's called socializing. It's healthy and part of human nature. However - Contradiction and people who speak without thinking - I can agree with you are truly the downward spiral in the neaningfulness of words. I would even dare take that a step further and call it the dumbing down of society. If you'd like a good example of that, take yourself a look at comments that people post after news stories on such websites as CNN.com. Now there, my friend, you will find exactly what you are speaking of.
Aside from that - and if I didn't already make it clear - I'm simply looking for peoples thoughts and/or opinions on the subject. I'm not on a witch hunt here.
Don't think of it as a bad thing. The idea of blogging or posting or message boards has been around long before the internet. It's called conversation. Sometimes it could be called debate. See it whichever way you like. Basically I'm starting a conversation with other people that have a common interest of mine. Whether at a bus stop, a waiting room, co-workers at the office, freinds or even a message board - It's all just conversation. Hopefully intelligent conversation. No harm in just plain old talking.
Thanks for your input. We don't have to agree or disagree to have a good conversation. I appreciate your thoughts.
Cheers.

1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'd take the "old" podcast (warts and all) versus this new "old" setup. Granted, I grew to really, really dislike the radio show (the last 18 months or so) - so this doesn't exactly have me diving in to listen to the new rehash of it - but I just don't enjoy the amazing chemistry and fun rapport that others seem to hear (because, obviously, that's not what I'm hearing).
I think Teresa can be funny and move things along. Bryan, for the most part, seems like an ok dude. While adding them to the fray, at least initially, seems to make sense ... all it really does is add someone to read a couple lines of a news story, giving Adam a jumping off point - and another guy who primarily tries to cram in pertinent audio drops. While that might not be all bad, the fact that both just act as bobbleheads to whatever nonsense Adam chooses to spew that day, well, that just makes his uninformed, angry and long rants that much worse.
I'm not saying Teresa needs to get her bitch on and start arguing with Adam on EVERYTHING - but if she is going to blindly agree with just about everything Adam says, why waste her "talent" on the podcast? Seems like you could just get an intern, or Rachel Perry, to handle that chore.
Over lo these many years of Bryan clinging on to the Carolla Train, he has ONE - repeat ONE - go-to "hey, I DID disagree with Adam" story to pull out of his pocket. One. The one about the much-debated, and very world-important, iPod/iPhone/electronics-in-general being designed TO slide around - slip out of your hand - and break. But he's not an asskissing bobble head, clearly.
Anyway, at this point I just don't care for the combination and I'm ok with that. Adam seems to think that this version of his pirate ship will be the one to change the landscape of Internet audio - and more power to him, hope it works out.
Follow @CarollaBoards for updates & news! -- TWITTER ME @1780sGuy
Feeney, to Dameshek (re: reading message boards): How 'bout you read your daughter a book? "Oh, no no no, I gotta see what 1780's Guy said." [Daves Of Thunder, Episode 60]

Hollywood
....chubby, fat face, and B cups

the old podcast was a pile of shit I couldn't listen to even with good guests
the new SHOW is a watered down short version of the old show which is still miles ahead of the shitty one on one podcast and with time could pick back up to the show we all enjoyed
there is no debate here, if you disagree you are an idiot incapable of making decisions for yourself or others and I would argue you are a danger to society and should be put into a straight jacket
SharonNeedles wrote:I'm with Jewdo on this one

ArgyleBob

Jay,
You are completely right. I couldn't agree with you more. Perhaps I come off as entirely too cynical sometimes. The internet has made the sharing of ideas and information much easier and prolific, and if every message board could go like this, then I would retract my statement entirely, but I guess my frustration comes in situations where something is said, and then 8,000 people use their "freedom of expression" to tell that person how gay they are, and possibly how much Metallica rocks. I welcome the onslaught of civilized conversation and ideas, and by no means do I think someone has to agree with me to be considered intelligent, but I think we can all admit that there are some message board threads that go on way beyond the expected spectrum of ridiculousness.

Glaeken
I have hair growing out of my earlobes

I prefer the old podcast because it was Adam for Adam. Even though he's become uninteresting and repetitive, the addition of one jobless person desperate to humor him and goad him on was unnecessary and makes the current version untenable.
Essentially, the new podcast is exactly the same as the old podcast, T is just the permanent guest now. Otherwise, all the old problems still exist and the new scope just adds more.
Anyone who listens knows T doesn't do anything to liven things up or move things along (despite the repetitive defense that she does). She's a doormat for Adam to walk over and nothing more (except the doormat plays a tune when you step on it). So T isn't going to make Adam better, and Adam is just going to be talking about shit I could care less about now that he's inundated with celebrity bullshit news. Great.
The sound issues still exist and are now acutely more noticeable as they try to recreate the radio sound. The problem is that they can't recreate it without the paid professionals, mics and equipment, and the final product sounds distinctly hollow for these losses. With no music bed to hide the unseemly mic bumps and distortions, I'm noticing these background audio problems more and more as I pay attention for Bryan's drops.
In my opinion and observation, the people who think this is a glorious change just need to admit they're primarily T fans that don't mind the presence of Adam yammering in between her nuggets of brownish gold. She's the biggest difference here. However staunchly they champion this change as fresh and new, the reality is that the podcast is the same, and her presence one day out of the week on the podcast didn't change Adam in the least anywhere else.
Back in cat hair-covered black.

so much clearer

Hollywood wrote:the old podcast was a pile of shit I couldn't listen to even with good guests
the new SHOW is a watered down short version of the old show which is still miles ahead of the shitty one on one podcast and with time could pick back up to the show we all enjoyed

I've only listened to the Billy West episode so far but I agree with this. I'm going to start listening again.

cpizz

I like the change. Before it was to dependent on the guest to be entertaining, if the guest sucked there wasn't much Adam could do. Now there's other outlets.
Last edited by cpizz on June 5th, 2010, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HauntedJay

So, it's been a week now since I originally posted this poll. I'm surprised that there wasn't more interest taken in this change. Maybe I'm more alone in my thoughts about this change as I had originally expected.
I wrote up my thoughts back when I opened up this poll but decided to hold off on posting them because I didn't want to influence anyone. Here's what I originally wrote.
To label the “old” format as a “place setter” because ultimately Adam wanted to get back to the radio show format is very unfortunate. Whereas Teresa and Bryan may have their talents, they’re just not entertaining enough to listen to on a daily basis. Back in the days of the radio show, I’m sure it was fine because it was a radio show. On the radio where you are limited to what you have to listen to. Especially in LA! But the point is this. Adam has done some of his finest work over the last year. Think back to the Loveline days 10 – 15 years ago. Adam and Drew made a great team. They had their attributes and they complimented each other. It worked because it wasn’t a crazy zoo atmosphere. It was all on the fly and it worked. Last year, the Adam Carolla Podcast became the most downloaded podcast in podcast history for a reason. The simple reason is because what he was doing worked and it worked well so why eff with that?
But you have effed with it and this is what we’re stuck with. Sure, we all need a job and the ultimate goal was to try and find a way to make money with this podcast. I can appreciate that and identify with it. That makes sense. But “getting the band back together” is a sorry phrase to use. To pluck a great phrase from a great film and apply it to what is akin to a “Morning Zoo-esque” type format is sad. Ironically, similar to the format that Adam does such a great parody of when locking into his Morning Jock “time, traffic, time & weather” schtick. Teresa – A cheaper alternative would have been a parrot. It might be nice to stare at her rack and pretty face in the warehouse, but this is a podcast. What comes out of her mouth is useless. And poor Bryan. To keep stroking that guys junk about is drops has got to be one of the saddest examples of accolades of all time. You’re repeatedly going down on a guy because he’s really good at something that is the equivalent to a lame fart joke. Not a good fart joke but a LAME fart joke.
Here’s the deal. Those that lived in LA during the radio show years may love this and latch on. We’ll see. Those who didn’t, won’t. Guaranteed, no question. When you take away the intimate one-on-one setting that you had going, that worked so well, and replaced it with this, you’re going to come up way short. The weekly sprinkle of the Almost Live podcasts were good enough of a mix in with the true podcast that worked so well together. And even though the show wasn't A-list material with an A-list guest every single episode, Adam made them all work.
I know this is all negative but it is what it is. If you don’t like it, then you don’t have to read it. But this is how I see it and this is how it is. It's my opinion and you don't have to share it to be right or wrong. Remember, I included a guarantee in this message. The numbers are going to drop and I don't see this format being able to sustain what Adam has had going for the last year. So if you ever have any questions as to what went wrong, take a listen to some of the podcasts over the last year. That’s what you were doing right. That was the formula that worked. That was the formula that made this the number one downloaded podcast consistently and historically. And if you think I’m wrong, give it a poll. Maybe even give it a few weeks and then take an online poll. We’ll see where my opinion versus your new format stack up together.
With that being said – I do wish nothing but the best for the new show. I really do. In fact, in light of everything that I'm saying, I'm still a fan and I'm still going to listen and give this a solid shot. I also hope that I’m going to be wrong about the outcome. But right now, I'm not feeling it.
Cheers.