Login   Register
 Login    Register
"Old" Podcast vs. "New" Show Format
No_Reception
User avatar
 
Rank: User
Posts: 2,626 | Offline
Joined: Sep 15, 2008
Hollywood wrote:the old podcast was a pile of shit I couldn't listen to even with good guests
the new SHOW is a watered down short version of the old show which is still miles ahead of the shitty one on one podcast and with time could pick back up to the show we all enjoyed
there is no debate here, if you disagree you are an idiot incapable of making decisions for yourself or others and I would argue you are a danger to society and should be put into a straight jacket

man i love me some classic jewdo.

BlahBlahBlog
User avatar
 
Rank: New User
Posts: 17 | Offline
Joined: Feb 23, 2009

The old format was just boring. Adam is not a good interviewer. He talks too much, the other person rarely got to speak.
Adam NEEDS news stories/callers/random stuff to react to and riff on. As he said, THIS IS THE SHOW HE WANTS TO DO. If you don't like it then go listen to something else.
For the love of Christ I STILL don't get all the negativity about T and B. They are Adam's friends, and to me they make the show. If you are doing a show every day, you WANT people you know/respect/are comfortable with.
Here's a question for you all. If the very first podcast started this way - if after the radio show ended they carried on with this format - would anyone here be clamoring for a "one-on-one" format? Would anyone actually ask for Adam to "interview" random guests for 30 to 45 minutes?
Last edited by BlahBlahBlog on June 15th, 2010, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

HauntedJay
User avatar
 
Rank: New User
Posts: 20 | Offline
Joined: Aug 16, 2009

In response to your question as to whether or not anyone would care if Adam just transferred the old radio show to a podcast and the one-on-one podcast never existed, I'd personally still have to say yes. The reason is this - I agree and disagree with you. Sure, Adam does talk a lot and he does have a tendency to walk over the guests opportunities to speak. Fair comment. But the radio show had a schticky radio show feel. "News - Traffic - Time - News - Traffic - Banter - Time...etc" The sound effects bring nothing funny or entertaining to the show. Hands down, just an annoying aspect of the show now. It gets real old, real fast and it's been done since the dawn of radio.
Over his radio career, I feel like LoveLine w/ Dr. Drew and Adam was some of Adam's most entertaining and best work. You have the banter between the two friends and on-air colleagues. You have a guest, usually. You have the callers giving you a launching point for both a professional medical dialogue and the ACE dialogue. It was a perfect blend. On occasion, yes, you would hear a sound effect dropped in there but not to the point of annoyance.
With that being said, my personal favorite Adam was LoveLine Adam. Podcast Adam comes in a strong second. Unfortunately though, Radio Show and the new Adam Carolla Show Adam come in way behind his other work.
Sure - We can listen to something else. It's the beauty of the the dawn of the podcast and beauty of choice. But I'm still a fan of Adam Carolla. I enjoy his work and his gift. I may not enjoy this overall show/format as much, but I'm still a fan. Maybe I won't listen as much but I will listen. If I don't like it, I can always switch to something else until he posts his next show.
And finally - For those of you who constantly defent "T and B" - I will never understand that. Teresa has a fairly decent show with "The Parent Experiment" (by the way - you ever catch how Adam pronounces "experiment"? It's more like exspeariment. Just a funny observation." and that's fine. But her and Bryan bring NOTHING to the table at the Adam Carolla show. You want a show with Adam and his friends - bring Ray or Donny or Chris around. They might not have on-air talent, but they'll be a hell of a lot more entertaining that the two dead weights he has now.

bencandy
User avatar
 
Rank: User
Posts: 314 | Offline
Joined: Jul 7, 2009

HauntedJay wrote:And finally - For those of you who constantly defent "T and B" - I will never understand that. Teresa has a fairly decent show with "The Parent Experiment" (by the way - you ever catch how Adam pronounces "experiment"? It's more like exspeariment. Just a funny observation." and that's fine. But her and Bryan bring NOTHING to the table at the Adam Carolla show. You want a show with Adam and his friends - bring Ray or Donny or Chris around. They might not have on-air talent, but they'll be a hell of a lot more entertaining that the two dead weights he has now.

You know, it seems like Adam fans fancy themselves as clever, hip and intellectual but I'm finding out that there's plenty enough tards and simpletons in this fan base too. Adam appeals on numerous different levels high and low brow alike.
The people who defend "T" are mostly other females who respond favorably to all her ooh's, awww's, ugggh's and <gasp> noises. They are just glad to hear a female voice and would respond just as favorably to any female who Carolla would pick as a sidekick. The Bald Bryan fans are dimwit adolescents who Pavlovian respond anytime a "sound-effects"* button is pushed.
*Sorry but what Bryan does is not sound effects. Bits of dialogue from movies and past radio shows ain't sound effects.

BlahBlahBlog
User avatar
 
Rank: New User
Posts: 17 | Offline
Joined: Feb 23, 2009

But the radio show had a schticky radio show feel.

That's because it WAS a schticky radio show. An extremely well done show, however. I listen to it every day, keeping to the same date. Today is 6/13/2006. Deaf Frat Guy is on right now. Last week was Kimmel subbing 2 days for Adam when the twins were born. Classic stuff.
"The sound effects bring nothing funny or entertaining to the show. Hands down, just an annoying aspect of the show now.

In your opinion. Not in mine, nor obviously Adam's.
It gets real old, real fast and it's been done since the dawn of radio.

But it has never been done as well as B did it. On the old show, someone would mention a random song title in passing. Five seconds later, B is playing it. I defy ANYONE to do a better job.
These days Bryan is slower - no doubt due to his medical condition. But I still welcome the drops. They ARE funny and well timed, and serve to underline the point being discussed.
Again, this is the show Adam wants to do.

HauntedJay
User avatar
 
Rank: New User
Posts: 20 | Offline
Joined: Aug 16, 2009

Ben - I couldn't agree with you more.
BlahBlahBlog - Just an opinion about the show. Sure, it's the show that Adam wants to do. I absolutely respect that. But it's the same as if you have a favorite actor or musician/band. Some things you like others, maybe not so much. But no matter what, you're still a fan. That's exactly where I stand on this. I've said from the beginning - I'm not out to slam Adam or anyone on the show. If anyone sees, or reads, it that way, then you're wrong. I'm simply expressing an opinion and opening dialogue up with other fans of his. Actually, the different perspectives, for the most part, have been interesting. But by no means is it my objective to be on here bitching and complaining. Just curious of other peoples opinions.
And if you look at the poll, the results surprise me. And that's cool. I might not agree but I want Ace to have a gig and I want to be able to hear his show, in whatever format or style it is. For that, I am glad. I'm happy for Ace and his entire staff that they are doing what they want to do and what they enjoy doing. Being able to do what you enjoy most in life isn't always possible for everyone.
On a side note - I can't believe I spelled defend incorrectly. There goes my hopes and dreams for the spelling bee trophy!
Last edited by HauntedJay on June 15th, 2010, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostytmrs
User avatar
 
Rank: User
Posts: 471 | Offline
Joined: Jun 17, 2010

Popping my post cherry. I've been listening to the podcast about a month or so after it started. I had no problem with the old format. It conveniently replaced morning radio for me since I had grown tired of the same old formula on every station (chick reads the news, host comments on it, bring in a guest, play a "radio game", silly SFX etc.). Being on the east coast, I had never heard the Adam Carolla morning radio show so I only had Lovelines and the podcast to go on.
When the switch to the new "old" show occured, I was a little miffed. Here were all the old cliches of morning radio that I was hoping I'd never have to hear again. That said, it's still better than any morning radio show currently on the air and it's free and I'll keep listening. Teresa has grown on me (and of course I'd heard her on the podcast before) and she gives Adam an excuse to rant on unusual topics every day. I just hope it'll eventually strike a balance between new media and typical morning show format.

luckbox
User avatar
 
Rank: New User
Posts: 3 | Offline
Joined: Jun 24, 2010

I understand that Adam wants the show to be more like the radio show and get Teresa and Brian more involved. As the time is really unlimited, I can't understand why we can't have both. I really miss the in-depth discussions Adam had with his quests. As it stands now, I am not even sure why Adam has guests. Anyone out there agree?

HauntedJay
User avatar
 
Rank: New User
Posts: 20 | Offline
Joined: Aug 16, 2009

I agree entirely. As I've been listening to the "new" format, I've been getting used to it. However, I still prefer the old format. But, I am still listening and that's what counts.
Today I had a thought about what was missing. When Adam was doing the one-on-one, old, format. he would regularly start off by asking his guest, "Let's go back to the beginning. Tell me where you got started. I like to hear your story and how it all began." That was great. And, of course, between Adam's telling of his own stories, you would hear the guests' stories. I do feel like that's gone.

BTaylor
User avatar
Banana Cream Pie Pundit
 
Rank: Vetted
Posts: 13,601 | Offline
Joined: Aug 12, 2008

Hollywood wrote:the old podcast was a pile of shit I couldn't listen to even with good guests
the new SHOW is a watered down short version of the old show which is still miles ahead of the shitty one on one podcast and with time could pick back up to the show we all enjoyed
there is no debate here, if you disagree you are an idiot incapable of making decisions for yourself or others and I would argue you are a danger to society and should be put into a straight jacket

Gotta agree with this.

luckbox
User avatar
 
Rank: New User
Posts: 3 | Offline
Joined: Jun 24, 2010

That statement is ridiculous. For the educated, listening to interesting stories about people on their way to success and projects is far more entertaining than the "morning zoo" crap. I can get that from any radio station on the dial. Which is why I never turn on the radio.
Last edited by luckbox on June 27th, 2010, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Utah
User avatar
 
Rank: New User
Posts: 119 | Offline
Joined: Jun 24, 2010

bencandy wrote:Theresa:
obsequiousness is way too obvious and obtrusive
too much eagerness reminiscent of a lap dog
compulsive need to put a finer point on other people's points is tiresome, useless, adds clutter
cornball sense of humor
relies too much on "Ooooh" "ahhhh" and "ugggh" sounds (sorry, that's just horrible broadcasting)
speaking voice tends to get shrill
too much cackling
brings too much focus on herself
Bryan:
same tired old drops going back to 2006, nothing new
drops are too much dialogue, cluttering up the show
sarcastic sense of humor is tiresome
mush mouth
Together they create this "comedy workshop" atmosphere that is ponderous at best and the polar opposite of funny at its worst. Anyone who has seen bad improv theater understands that comedy is a gift that certain people are touched with. Comedy by the numbers is just not that funny. I understand if people like Theresa and Brian personally, I guess they are chipper and bring a certain can-do attitude, but nobody in their right mind can argue that they don't bring Adam down to a more ordinary uninspired level. This setup is just more work for Adam because he has to constantly give-and-take with these two. Maybe there is a reason the KLSX show didn't take off.

That about sums it all up. It's so annoying when Teresa paraphrases someone's joke or story. For me she brings absolutely nothing to the table, which might be fine if she didn't drag things down in so many ways. I really don't understand what Adams sees in her. If I remember correctly, her and Adam didn't really hit it off when she joined his radio show and at times it seemed like he was openly hostile towards her (when he realized what a nutjob she is).
I know I feel bad criticizing Bryan because of his tumor, and maybe that's the reason why everyone proclaims his drops to be the pinnacle of humor.

Johnny Utah
User avatar
 
Rank: New User
Posts: 119 | Offline
Joined: Jun 24, 2010

(continued because I couldn't edit my post....)
Tumor or not, the guy just isn't funny. His drops just kill the show and I just don't see how playing a clip of Adam's mom talking every time she comes up in the conversation is supposed to add anything to the program. I feel bad for the guy because I was reading his wife's blog and she was talking about how excited he was about the new board and how he spent a whole night uploading stuff. For one thing, that doesn't really make sense to me because he only has like five drops that he ever uses. Second, I think it's a sign that the guy needs to get off the Carolla gravy train. He is 32 years old and his life revolves around playing the same five things over and over again. I guess I can't criticize him too much, because if I did menial jobs for years for Adam Carolla, I would probably be scared to go off and do something else and lose the "privilege" of working for him. I guess there is some value in being able to say you are friends with Adam Carolla, even if it means making nothing/next to nothing for years while you wait for that big break.

dvronn
User avatar
 
Rank: New User
Posts: 45 | Offline
Joined: Feb 6, 2010

Great, so a small, vocal minority of listeners think Bryan and Teresa are awful and Donnie is a dimwit. But the podcast has more subscribers than ever and has actually grown in popularity after the slow-down that the old format had begun to see. Yet, these same folks that think that constantly posting their complaints, not only about the show, but voicing their opinions of people who disagree with them, (that the only people who like Teresa are women and the only people who like Bald Bryan are dimwits), doesn't make them the very definition of trolls and cranks, are deluding themselves.
Having a strong opinion about something doesn't mean you are right.

Johnny Utah
User avatar
 
Rank: New User
Posts: 119 | Offline
Joined: Jun 24, 2010

dvronn wrote:Great, so a small, vocal minority of listeners think Bryan and Teresa are awful and Donnie is a dimwit. But the podcast has more subscribers than ever and has actually grown in popularity after the slow-down that the old format had begun to see. Yet, these same folks that think that constantly posting their complaints, not only about the show, but voicing their opinions of people who disagree with them, (that the only people who like Teresa are women and the only people who like Bald Bryan are dimwits), doesn't make them the very definition of trolls and cranks, are deluding themselves.
Having a strong opinion about something doesn't mean you are right.

Sorry, but complaining about something doesn't make you a troll - it makes you a human being. If you have never, ever complained about something, then my hat is off to you sir. But if you can't tell the difference between people who occasionally frequent message boards to voice complaints versus a "troll" then you are a crank.
Also, how do you know the podcast is more popular than ever and its numbers have grown? I find it hard to believe that there were people out there who never downloaded it but suddenly this format change has shown them the light or that a huge number of people consistently stopped downloading the old format podcasts but have resumed downloading now. I can only imagine the numbers staying relatively constant (because people just want Adam in any format) or declining (because people like myself prefer Loveline/solo Adam and don't want to hear the new format).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest