Login   Register
 Login    Register
"Old" Podcast vs. "New" Show Format
Jerma Jesty
hands!

While I agree (whole-heartedly) that T is no Dr. Drew or Kimmel, I find her to be very funny sometimes. I like her on the show and hope Adam doesn't listen to you guys for an instant.
Nobody... nobody trusts anybody now, and we're all very tired.

Spider Jerusalem

I cringe at least a dozen times during a show because of some attempt at comedy she makes, or some attempt at keeping the topic going that just kills the comedy. For example (and it's been said before), she'll often sum up the point of Adam's jokes and completely suck all the momentum out of a jag. That is what a BAD straight man does. In fact, Adam doesn't even really use her as a straight man because, while he's trying to be funny, he seems to take himself rather seriously.
Maybe it's not all her. The show's very sloppy and doesn't have a coherent dynamic of who's good at what. Therefore T doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut and feels compelled to try and dance with Adam, which as Neil pointed out she is clearly unequipped to do. It's kinda why most radio zoo programs (which, let's be honest, this is a variation on) have a host, a funny sidekick, and a news girl. T is the news girl, she is not a comedian, and it hurts my insides to listen to her try and be funny.

bencandy

Spider Jerusalem wrote:I cringe at least a dozen times during a show because of some attempt at comedy she makes, or some attempt at keeping the topic going that just kills the comedy.  For example (and it's been said before), she'll often sum up the point of Adam's jokes and completely suck all the momentum out of a jag.  That is what a BAD straight man does.  In fact, Adam doesn't even really use her as a straight man because, while he's trying to be funny, he seems to take himself rather seriously. 
Maybe it's not all her.  The show's very sloppy and doesn't have a coherent dynamic of who's good at what.  Therefore T doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut and feels compelled to try and dance with Adam, which as Neil pointed out she is clearly unequipped to do.  It's kinda why most radio zoo programs (which, let's be honest, this is a variation on) have a host, a funny sidekick, and a news girl.  T is the news girl, she is not a comedian, and it hurts my insides to listen to her try and be funny.

Please, you can explain it all you want but it ain't gonna change jack squat. Personally I hear ya buddy. I could write a dissertation on why Tersa is an inept broadcast personality and provide about a thousand particular examples dating back to 2006, but at the end of the day people react viscerally to one another. and in Teresa's case, or Bryan's, or literally any warm body who managed to stumble their way unto a radio/podcast/tv gig, ie any gig with a large enough audience, there will always be people attracted to them no matter how patently unfunny/unlikable/untalented they are. At the end of the day its a matter of taste. Not reason or rationality, just taste. Yummy, or else yuck. Take the most despicable celebrity you can think of, put 'em in a bookstore for a meet and greet and there will always be people lining up.
Frankly I am just surprised (still) that Adam has such a taste for these two. Their chemistry if you want to call it that is self-conscious and contrived even at its best, and aggressively unfunny tiresome at its worst. To me it just sounds like Adam workshopping with these two trying to teach them how to do improv and comedy. Which is fine if he wants to do that in his own time. But to base his livelihood around this arrangement? YIIIIIKES. I love Adam going way, way WAY back to the Birchum days....but with his insistence on trying to making this shitty comedy pirate ship work I find it hard to root for him anymore. :(
Last edited by bencandy on July 7th, 2010, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bencandy

neilt0 wrote:That's actually most of the problem -- she's trying to be funny and can't do it.
Adam leans back and spins Comedy Gold, meanwhile T is "running in place" trying to keep up with him and falling at the first hurdle.
What Adam needs is a good straight man. Someone he can work with in an easy, free-flowing manner. Like Drew. Or Jiimmy. Or Funny Dave Dameshek.
What he doesn't need is a hopeless comedy apprentice.

I find myself thinking about the old Loveline days...what made it so great and endearing, what gave it that lightning-in-a-bottle magic. Verily it is hard to identify but a great part of it was Dr. Drew as the straight man. Sure he would occasionally get saucy and try to make a funny, but Adam could always rebuff him with a quick "Drew, please." And I think Drew had a very good sense of his own lack of comedy chops. That was probably his saving grace as Adam's co-host.
I suppose it is easy to say "Teresa, be more like Drew" but then again he had his role as the good doctor to fill. Without all the quips, puns (which thankfully have been noticeably reduced I guess she finally got the memo) and vapid Jews-are-cheap riffs....what is her persona? There's nothing substantive to fall back on. It's a dilemma, that much I can sympathize with. But then it goes back to the Aceman...this whole calamity is ultimately his fault.

HauntedJay

Chemistry. Adam and Drew had (have) amazing chemistry. I listened to LoveLine for most of Adams tour of duty and I also saw them on one of their road gigs back in '98. These guys had chemistry and they worked very well together.
We don't have that anymore. It's so basic and simple.
It's still funny to me though. The poll and the comments here just don't add up to me. But either way - I, like many of you, am still listening because I'm a longtime fan of Adam.
I'm not going to buy a Man-Grate anytime soon, but I'll keep listening for a while.
Cheers.

BlahBlahBlog

While I agree (whole-heartedly) that T is no Dr. Drew or Kimmel, I find her to be very funny sometimes.  

Totally agree here. She is not a comedian, but she is good at improv (re-enactments, Made Up Movies, etc.) and, yes, is quick.
I like her on the show and hope Adam doesn't listen to you guys for an instant.

He won't. He clearly pays no attention to the ramblings here. Besides, the majority have spoken - the current format is better than the old interview format. If Adam DID listen to "us guys" he would not change a thing. The T haters are just a vocal minority.
Did you ever wonder why people have to defend her?

No, I don't wonder. It is obvious. There have been many personal attacks on her from a VERY vocal minority.
If the attacks had merit there would be no defense, or even a NEED for a defense. That Adam ALWAYS defends her indicates to me that he agrees that the attacks are baseless.
IAC, Adam clearly likes her and respects her, and CLEARLY Adam wants T on the show. That is the bottom line.
Last edited by BlahBlahBlog on July 8th, 2010, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlahBlahBlog

why has her career outside of the world of Adam been basically nonexistent?

Are you high? She has appeard on/written for loads of shows. She won a daytime emmy for her writing on Win Ben Stein's money.
She is also a writer. She won an award on June 24, 2006, for columnist of the year from the Los Angeles Press Club.
Do a little research next time.

Johnny Utah

BlahBlahBlog wrote:Are you high?  She has appeard on/written for loads of shows.  She won a daytime emmy for her writing on Win Ben Stein's money. 
She is also a writer.  She won an award on June 24, 2006, for columnist of the year from the Los Angeles Press Club.
Do a little research next time.

No, I don't think I am high. I am talking about success outside of Adam as in something in the last five years. Win Ben Stein's Money was over ten years ago. Other than that, her most visible gigs were on TLC and the world-renowned TV Guide Channel, which were both years ago. Other than that, I don't know what the "loads" of shows she has done work for are.
Would you honestly know that won some press award if you didn't read about it on Wikipedia or wherever?
She tries to have an entertainment career, but cannot. We have heard her talk multiple times about auditioning for things she never gets. My point was that if she was as intelligent, witty and funny as some people here claim she is, she would have something on her resume from the last few years other than appearances on Gene Simmons Family Jewels and TMZ TV.

Frank Grimes

Hollywood wrote:the old podcast was a pile of shit I couldn't listen to even with good guests
the new SHOW is a watered down short version of the old show which is still miles ahead of the shitty one on one podcast and with time could pick back up to the show we all enjoyed
there is no debate here, if you disagree you are an idiot incapable of making decisions for yourself or others and I would argue you are a danger to society and should be put into a straight jacket

Leave it to Jewdo to cut through the bullshit, with the most relevant point in this thread.
While the usual suspects will try to twist every question into a referendum on Teresa... as usual, it says much more about them then it does about her.
The old podcast format highlighted all of Adam's weaknesses. Without fresh material in the form of news stories and bits, Adam is the definition of "warehouse". Only in the last month have I started to hear the return of the "factory".
The difference is the effort. End of story.

asdf29

i wish Adam could do both...like an occasional 1-on-1 podcast.
i really miss the words "tell me about your journey..."

Spider Jerusalem

Frank Grimes wrote:Leave it to Jewdo to cut through the bullshit, with the most relevant point in this thread.
While the usual suspects will try to twist every question into a referendum on Teresa... as usual, it says much more about them then it does about her.
The old podcast format highlighted all of Adam's weaknesses. Without fresh material in the form of news stories and bits, Adam is the definition of "warehouse". Only in the last month have I started to hear the return of the "factory".
The difference is the effort. End of story.

I actually completely agree. The old format was totally stagnant and Adam obviously didn't care about it; therefore the warehouse. The new format at least gives him inspiration for stuff to talk about (though I would argue his road work has contributed to the re-sharpening of his improv skills). He's still not as great as he's been in the past, and Teresa is a major downer in terms of what the podcast could be, but maybe this is more of a discussion for 1780's "Expectations" thread than an "Old vs. New" discussion. In fact, it absolutely is. I apologize for derailing the thread.
Teresa is still awful.

Johnny Utah

Frank Grimes wrote:Leave it to Jewdo to cut through the bullshit, with the most relevant point in this thread.
While the usual suspects will try to twist every question into a referendum on Teresa...  as usual, it says much more about them then it does about her.
The old podcast format highlighted all of Adam's weaknesses.  Without fresh material in the form of news stories and bits, Adam is the definition of "warehouse".  Only in the last month have I started to hear the return of the "factory".
The difference is the effort.  End of story.

Why does Adam's fresh material have to be in the form of news stories? Why doesn't a person's life story/journey, something I assume Adam hasn't heard before, count as "fresh material"? Adam was at his best on Loveline, and there his material was whatever the callers gave him, which was just basically the same crap over and over again. His material on Loveline was static - nobody was really coming up with anything new, it was just basically variations on the same couple of problems.
I admit that the original format didn't work at times. One way or another, Adam is just going to rant about the same things over and over again (his family, "as a society...", chickenshit tickets etc.) or tell the same stories over and over (Pop Warner football). But, I would argue that the new format is worse for him because the news just makes him rant about how terrible we are as a society, whereas when he was with a guest he couldn't always shoehorn that in (although he always found a way to shoehorn in some things). The news is always bad/ridiculous, so it always just makes him angry in some way and that makes him rant about the same topics.
And how are bits fresh material? By their very nature, they are things done according to a formula that have been done before. I just don't see how any of the new format is any "fresher" than Adam reacting to what someone else is saying and using that as his material.

ghostytmrs

This whole idea that if you don't care for the new "old" format then it must be because you hate Teresa is a load of crap. I don't have a problem with Teresa. The fact of the matter is the old podcast (to me) was a unique and entertaining format, even if the guest was a dead duck (think Chris Kattan). The ACP had a lot of promise. Maybe Adam was unwilling to take it further. Maybe this IS what he wanted to do all along (I'll take take his word for it). I used to come on here and read all the negative comments about the podcast and think you guys were nuts. I listened every day and loved it! I couldn't understand where all the hate was coming from. Frankly I didn't care who the guest was, I just needed my Carolla fix every day and I got it.
Now I can still get my Carolla fix but it's filtered through radio bits, drops, games, etc.
The new format is too much like typical morning radio and it needn't be. That doesn't mean getting rid of Teresa. That doesn't mean canning Bald Bryan. It means saying "Hey, we're not on the radio. We don't have to do morning radio schtick anymore". That hasn't happened. Maybe it will. Maybe it won't. Who knows? One thing that could markedly improve the show as it is would be to get Dameshek more involved. There's chemistry there between he and Adam that's as good as the kind he had with either Kimmel or Dr. Drew.

Frank Grimes

ghostytmrs wrote:This whole idea that if you don't care for the new "old" format then it must be because you hate Teresa is a load of crap. I don't have a problem with Teresa. The fact of the matter is the old podcast (to me) was a unique and entertaining format, even if the guest was a dead duck (think Chris Kattan). The ACP had a lot of promise. Maybe Adam was unwilling to take it further. Maybe this IS what he wanted to do all along (I'll take take his word for it). I used to come on here and read all the negative comments about the podcast and think you guys were nuts. I listened every day and loved it! I couldn't understand where all the hate was coming from. Frankly I didn't care who the guest was, I just needed my Carolla fix every day and I got it.
Now I can still get my Carolla fix but it's filtered through radio bits, drops, games, etc.
The new format is too much like typical morning radio and it needn't be. That doesn't mean getting rid of Teresa. That doesn't mean canning Bald Bryan. It means saying "Hey, we're not on the radio. We don't have to do morning radio schtick anymore". That hasn't happened. Maybe it will. Maybe it won't. Who knows? One thing that could markedly improve the show as it is would be to get Dameshek more involved. There's chemistry there between he and Adam that's as good as the kind he had with either Kimmel or Dr. Drew.

Two things about the original ACP format... it wasn't good, and it wasn't making Adam money. Are you really surprised it's dead? Adam needs to make money, like every one of us, and the new format is clearly an audition towards that end.
Adam's greatest strength... his quick wit... is also his greatest weakness. By improv trade, Adam is a "responder". If he's on his own, and doesn't have a constant stream of subject-changing, or a guest that doesn't measure up to his quick wit, we all know where the conversation goes. It's not good... even the hardcore defenders admit that it gets repetitive.
To his credit, Adam knows this. All his best work in his career has been with partners... Kimmell, Drew, the original TACS. Loveline is a perfect example of what Adam can do with a constant stream of good material to riff on. ACS >> ACP.

HauntedJay

ghostymrs - I hear what you're saying but I have to speak up and disagree about the Dameshek comment. He's NOT that funny. NOT! In addition to that; If you want more NOT funny Dameshek, then listen to his podcast. There you will find the biggest pile of unfunny shit of a podcast that has ever been created. I know I'm being harsh but it's the harsh reality of the situation. That has got to be one of the worst podcasts in the history of podcasts hosted by two untalented and unfunny morons. I will stand by that opinion against anyone. If you like it, then that's great for you. We don't agree and that's fine. I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled to yours. Unfortunately though, you like absolute shit.
Grimey - It didn't make money. I agree. However, it was good. Not every guest/podcast was a slam dunk winner but it was good. He has a knack at interviewing guests. He's not stiff. He makes for a loose atmosphere that I don't think you get everywhere else. Kevin Pollack has a great podcast but I find it to be a bit stiff and dry and boring at times. I never got that feeling with the ACP.
2 Daves = 1 Pile of Shit
Cheers