Login   Register
 Login    Register
"Old" Podcast vs. "New" Show Format
bencandy

HauntedJay wrote:2 Daves = 1 Pile of Shit

For what its worth, I hated Dameshek when the original ACS started up- that grating voice, annoying affectation and penchant for adding syllables to simple words like "no", those aimless "Best Of" lists, fixation on Pittsburgh sports on an LA-based show, etc, etc. I even took Teresa's side in that whole go-fuck-yourself imbroglio.
I think I first started warming up to him when he appeared on the original Adam podcast. From what I recall those were some of the most entertaining episodes of that whole venture. Then when Daves of Thunder first started up I was a bit skeptical but now its at the point where I look forward to it more so than the Adam and Teresa show.
Don't let the dopey name and title song put you off. There is a natural rapport between these two guys, there is funny ball-busting and free-flowing conversation and its refreshingly free of the kind of hacky, frustrating, paint-by-numbers "comedy" that characterizes one-half of the current ACS. Not everything about Daves is funny, but at least these two are genuinely having a chummy good time. Give it a chance will you.

ghostytmrs

HauntedJay wrote:ghostymrs - I hear what you're saying but I have to speak up and disagree about the Dameshek comment. He's NOT that funny. NOT! In addition to that; If you want more NOT funny Dameshek, then listen to his podcast. There you will find the biggest pile of unfunny shit of a podcast that has ever been created. I know I'm being harsh but it's the harsh reality of the situation. That has got to be one of the worst podcasts in the history of podcasts hosted by two untalented and unfunny morons. I will stand by that opinion against anyone. If you like it, then that's great for you. We don't agree and that's fine. I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled to yours. Unfortunately though, you like absolute shit.
Grimey - It didn't make money. I agree. However, it was good. Not every guest/podcast was a slam dunk winner but it was good. He has a knack at interviewing guests. He's not stiff. He makes for a loose atmosphere that I don't think you get everywhere else. Kevin Pollack has a great podcast but I find it to be a bit stiff and dry and boring at times. I never got that feeling with the ACP.
2 Daves = 1 Pile of Shit
Cheers

HauntedJay - I've never listened to Daves Of Thunder so obviously I have no opinion on it. He is, however, very good when paired with Adam, leading him into topics that Adam wouldn't discuss otherwise.
After losing interest in the podcast shortly after the format switch I downloaded the Schmoes Knows episode since I remembered them from their last appearance and thought they were surprisingly funny at the time. This latest appearance demonstrates why the new "morning radio" vibe doesn't work for me. We got barely 10 minutes with them before it was off to another mediocre radio "game". That was a shame since their brief conversation with Adam was surely the highlight. The less said about the lame parody songs played at the beginning of the show the better. As Adam himself confessed, they were a little on the "hack" side. Again, I don't live on the west coast and I have no nostalgia for the morning radio show that Adam did for a few years because I've never heard it so these "remember when.." moments fall flat for me.

HauntedJay

Maybe I was a little bit harsh on ghostymrs and 2 Daves.
Ben - I did try to listen to their first, and maybe second, podcast. But you know what? I'll take you up on the suggestion of giving them a chance. You tell me what your favorite 2 Daves was and I'll give it a listen.
I have to admit, I did like Dameshek on the Adam Carolla Podcast. He was actually on the fourth ACP. I enjoyed him. They spoke of the rift between him and Teresa. But, as I wasn't privy to the everyday East coast show, I wasn't familiar with the feud. Even though I did listen to the podcasts of the old radio show occasionally, I wasn't totally up to speed. I did enjoy Dameshek as a guest on the ACP once in a while. But that was when I didn't feel like he was trying to be Adam Carolla. If you know what I mean.
Cheers.

Frank Grimes

HauntedJay wrote:Maybe I was a little bit harsh on ghostymrs and 2 Daves.
Ben - I did try to listen to their first, and maybe second, podcast. But you know what? I'll take you up on the suggestion of giving them a chance. You tell me what your favorite 2 Daves was and I'll give it a listen.

Just listen to any "Daves of Thunder" from the last couple months. They're all good, in an organic way that Adam's show is not.
The first several DoT shows were uneven, until Dave Feeney learned to stop bickering and interrupting, and focused on his real talent which is writing funny bits. Dameshek has a natural ease as a host... people that know him only from TACS year 1 probably aren't aware of this.
"Daves of Thunder" truly is a better, funnier show than Adam's in terms of laughs-per-minute... the key difference being preparation and effort.

bencandy

Adam is still Adam, though a bit more windbag and "set in his ways" than the old days but as for this "Adam Carolla Show" I'm really starting to hate the fuckin thing. I mean, I shake my head at like 75% of everything Teressa Strasser says, and like 1/2 of Bryan's moronic drops. That is not a sustainable situation. Thanks God for the two Daves.

holejack

bencandy wrote:Adam is still Adam, though a bit more windbag and "set in his ways" than the old days but as for this "Adam Carolla Show" I'm really starting to hate the fuckin thing. I mean, I shake my head at like 75% of everything Teressa Strasser says, and like 1/2 of Bryan's moronic drops. That is not a sustainable situation. Thanks God for the two Daves.

I completely disagree. I think that some people around here are not accurately remembering just how god-damn awful the solo version of the podcast was getting near the end, when for every half-way decent interview there were three or four instances of Adam wandering into the warehouse 3 minutes before the show started (having no idea who he was even going to be talking to), and then jabbering at some poor, random person for 40 minutes of drivel. It was becoming unlistenable, and it seems like there is now some revisionist history going on. The show was not good before the format switch. I like what Teresa and Bryan contribute to the show. I think that they help provide the structure that the show needs to keep from flying off the rails.
I do agree, though, that Daves of Thunder is the best thing on the "network."

Johnny Utah

holejack wrote:I completely disagree.  I think that some people around here are not accurately remembering just how god-damn awful the solo version of the podcast was getting near the end, when for every half-way decent interview there were three or four instances of Adam wandering into the warehouse 3 minutes before the show started (having no idea who he was even going to be talking to), and then jabbering at some poor, random person for 40 minutes of drivel.

That is true, but it's the same way there is revisionist history going on with the old Adam Carolla Show. People who defend the new format rant and rave about how awesome that show was, how it's so great to have the gang back together, how great it is to hear old bits again etc. In reality, the Adam Carolla Show was on for three years, consisting of one of which was unlistenable because of Bonaduce and two that were a mix of amusing/chaotic/crappy morning zoo. I listened to it, but I don't have any real endearing memories of it.
I loved the old format, but I definitely admit that there were times towards the end it wasn't working. That is obviously all on Adam, because he was either too lazy to do it any other way or is just really incapable of being at his best without someone to reign him in.
That being said, I would take any of those old shows over the new ones in a minute. Take a look at this weeks' shows - a couple of no-names who were either uninteresting or never got to talk plus wall to wall Mel Gibson coverage (featuring Adam defending a crazed lunatic who probably punched his girlfriend). To me, this week has been the worst of the new format and I don't think the old format ever went through a drought this bad.

HauntedJay

Here is what is becoming increasingly confusing to me. I'm starting to think that people maybe didn't understand this poll.
A few more posts of people not really into the "new" format. However, the numbers in the poll show exactly the opposite.
So what I'm beginning to believe is that most people who vote for the "new" format, don't bother to comment. And people who vote for the "old" format do typically comment.
Yeah... I feel myself slipping away too. Point blank, it's like this. Before the format change, I never missed an episode. I downloaded and listened to every single minute of every single episode. Now, I really just don't seem to be making that same effort. There are other podcasts that I've been listening to, just as long as Adam's, that I tend to lean towards now. They're just better. Fitzdog Radio, Doug Loves Movies, RISK! and The Moth to name a few. Sure the latter two are more storytelling podcasts but even Greg Fitzsimmons and Doug Benson seem to have much more entertaining content these days.
Cheers.

JGdmn
Hypocritical Singing Carpenter

HauntedJay wrote:So what I'm beginning to believe is that most people who vote for the "new" format, don't bother to comment. And people who vote for the "old" format do typically comment.

I think you may have come upon something more global here. This may be because us messageboard posters might not be a perfect slice of Adam's listeners.

bencandy

JGdmn wrote:I think you may have come upon something more global here. This may be because us messageboard posters might not be a perfect slice of Adam's listeners.

Mmmm perfect slice. Speaking of slice how about a little Mitch Hedberg joke?
I went to a pizzeria, I ordered a slice of pizza, the fucker gave me the smallest slice possible. If the pizza was a pie chart for what people would do if they found a million dollars, the fucker gave me the "donate it to charity" slice. I would like to exchange this for the "keep it!"

jjj262

I was excited about the new/old format when I first heard about it. The one-on-one interviews lost some steam towards the end, but I still listened to everyone of them. Now, coming off the worst week in the history of the podcast, something needs to change. I admit to not being a big fan of T. She seems like a very talented writer but cannot hang with the big boys (DAG Norm Macdonald etc.). If I have to listen to her tell the joke about being 29 one more time...My biggest problem with T and the new format is the 'news' portion. I do not watch TMZ or read people magazine. I was over the 'mel gibson' stuff after about 10 minutes. Now we are on day 6 talking about him during the majority of the podcast. I feel like the old format was more of a thinking man's podcast, intelligent conversation. It has now turned into one the the worst Adam Carolla projects to date. Adam's laziness is really showing and it is killing the podcast. CarCast is still great, maybe I will give Dave&Dave another shot. It is really disappointing, Adam can be so much better than this. The one key element the new format is missing is 'how say you'. That was always the best part of the radio show. The worst part of the old show, the news and c-list celebs, are 99% of the current format. The drops aren't so bad, they do create a lot of dead air. Speaking of dead air, take a commercial break when the guest are shuffling in. Two and a half minutes of 'take a seat take a seat'...I've been a Carolla listener for 10+years, if he is serious about 'getting the band back together' and really trying to launch this 'ace network', he's got to put in some effort. Get it (back) on Ace, you are better than this.

HauntedJay

jjj262 - I don't have to quote anything you wrote. Just a plain and simple, "well said", will do. You really hit the nail on the head. I think the last full episode that I listened to was Missy Suicide or Brad Garrett.
Last week I mentioned listening to some of the other podcasts that are available. Whereas I'm not here to try and plug any other podcast, I have to highlight one. Sure, there's a few others out there that I like but I just recently got into a new one. WTF? Podcast by Marc Maron. I like what this guy is doing. His podcasts are usually about an hour. At first, it's just him talking/storytelling/comedy-ing (sometimes with an almost silent and non-intrusive "sidekick", Matthew). He does that for a little while and then the meat of the show is with a guest. Usually comedians or people in the comedy side of show business.
Now after listening to a few of his podcasts, I realized some of the things that maybe just aren't working for me on the new ACE show.
- Teresa is just too much. She's too involved, if you will. She needs to lay back more and just embrace that passenger seat, or even better, the back seat.
- The drops are completely unnecessary.
- The ACE Show is just too long. Spending 45 minutes to an hour on "news" bullshit seems to just drag. It's painful to listen to the news drag on at the beginning of the show. But then to bring it back up, again, at the end makes no sense. Bang it out in one shot. That shit could get done clean in 10 minutes. It could get done comfortably in 20. Anything longer just drags.
It seems that the ACE Show just hasn't really found it's groove yet. It just doesn't flow. I'd rather have 45 to 60 minutes of solid quality show than to have a 90 minute show with 30 to 45 minutes of drag time.
Cheers.

ghostytmrs

HauntedJay wrote:- The ACE Show is just too long.  Spending 45 minutes to an hour on "news" bullshit seems to just drag.  It's painful to listen to the news drag on at the beginning of the show.  But then to bring it back up, again, at the end makes no sense.  Bang it out in one shot.  That shit could get done clean in 10 minutes.  It could get done comfortably in 20.  Anything longer just drags.
It seems that the ACE Show just hasn't really found it's groove yet.  It just doesn't flow.  I'd rather have 45 to 60 minutes of solid quality show than to have a 90 minute show with 30 to 45 minutes of drag time.
Cheers.

I agree with this 100%. I listened to the YOSO show today and there was 45 minutes of news at the top of the show and then even more news at the end (although the second round of news was a little more entertaining because the guests were involved). I said earlier that I didn't have a problem with Teresa at all but "The Adam Carolla Show" is really starting to turn into "The Adam and Teresa Show". 20 minutes of news would be fine.

bencandy

I hate it but I still listen.

bencandy

ghostytmrs wrote:I agree with this 100%. I listened to the YOSO show today and there was 45 minutes of news at the top of the show and then even more news at the end (although the second round of news was a little more entertaining because the guests were involved). I said earlier that I didn't have a problem with Teresa at all but "The Adam Carolla Show" is really starting to turn into "The Adam and Teresa Show". 20 minutes of news would be fine.

That's *exactly* what this show is now, "Adam and Teresa Show", it couldn't be more apt. That's what I'm calling it now, because that's what it is. Way to go, Adam.