Login   Register
 Login    Register
Alison Rosen
my aim is true
The palest of skin, the darkest of desires.

In a certain sense, most people are like books/novels, as is Alison. Novels that are especially engaging are those that confound notions established early on in the plot, by virtue of the twists and turns that each successive chapter brings.
I know I am reading mediocre fiction when I find myself focused on the novel's outcome as I turn each page; I'd just as soon have all mysteries revealed and all questions answered half-way through the book. And I know I am reading good/great fiction when I find myself hoping to hold onto the mysteries as long as possible and am perfectly comfortable with the ambiguity of as-yet undisclosed discoveries.
Alison (her presence, that is) is good fiction, by which I mean she is engaging in her incremental dissemination ( knowingly or otherwise) of her 'mysteries'. I don't care to know the Alpha & Omega of her story, this early on. I like the ambiguity of personality she brings to her 'book' which we find on the shelves of the carolla 'library'. Adam can be so 'concrete' at times, that it is a relief to have Alison there to bring a bit of fluidity to the foreground.
Some people have boring flaws. Alison's are wonderfully perplexing. Keep her, Ace...

Jerma Jesty
hands!

my aim is true, if people are books, you are surely David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest.
Nobody... nobody trusts anybody now, and we're all very tired.

my aim is true

Hi Ms. Jesty... I admit I had to look up that reference on wikipedia. Looks to be right up my alley, interest-wise. As soon as I've mounted the summit of Hesse's 'Glass Bead Game', I will seek out 'Infinite Jest'. Thanks for the recommendation..

mpa
Heavyset Woman of Color

my aim is true wrote:In a certain sense, most people are like books/novels, as is Alison. Novels that are especially engaging are those that confound notions established early on in the plot, by virtue of the twists and turns that each successive chapter brings.
I know I am reading mediocre fiction when I find myself focused on the novel's outcome as I turn each page; I'd just as soon have all mysteries revealed and all questions answered half-way through the book. And I know I am reading good/great fiction when I find myself hoping to hold onto the mysteries as long as possible and am perfectly comfortable with the ambiguity of as-yet undisclosed discoveries.
Alison (her presence, that is) is good fiction, by which I mean she is engaging in her incremental dissemination ( knowingly or otherwise) of her 'mysteries'. I don't care to know the Alpha & Omega of her story, this early on. I like the ambiguity of personality she brings to her 'book' which we find on the shelves of the carolla 'library'. Adam can be so 'concrete' at times, that it is a relief to have Alison there to bring a bit of fluidity to the foreground.
Some people have boring flaws. Alison's are wonderfully perplexing. Keep her, Ace...

Good fiction has depth of character, and in fact, the character, their motivation, what they represent, their flaws, their strengths, etc becomes more important that the story line or the clever twist or the silver tongue of the protagonist. Alison is not depth, alison is pure immediacy, the facade of the building, surface. Is there depth, who knows? Alison is like some popular modern novel, let's say like Da Vinici code - you learn nothing of the character (which leads to why Tom Hanks was basically just a hair cut and pensive look), he doesn't stand in for something else, he's not an archetype or a commentary. Pick a novel with depth, and you'll find the exact opposite.
Alison is fine, she has some good lines, she was certainly better the other options, but, she is this detached shtick with no depth, that as close as we get to her being open is saying she as cysts, the biggest thing Stern gave to broadcasting was the sense of getting to know the characters - it isn't the plot, it's the way the story is told. detached, floating 2x+y=funny, but it's often delivered mousey or ran over or falls flat. She is an abortion at improv, she often has no idea what is obviously going on in a conversation and she is not very informed on what is going on in the world.
But, she doesn't have an annoying laugh so she skips over the Strasser/Quivers bar, so she's got that going for her.

Hollywood
....chubby, fat face, and B cups

Newsflash: the podcast has blown since 2008, not since 2011 when Alison joined
SharonNeedles wrote:I'm with Jewdo on this one

my aim is true

Hi Mr. MPA: your point(s) noted and perspective appreciated... As to Alison existing on the 'surface' or as a 'facade of the building', I'm not so sure.
Consider spending 5 nights per week on the orange couch and working side by side with Adam, week in and month out. Dealing with the sheer heat of that onslaught of tension emanating from Adam (and guests), yet largely maintaining one's cool. Bonaduce couldn't do it for more than a year; and Teresa struggled with it (in my opinion) from beginning to end. Plus, Alison sitting 'exposed' along side Adam at the weekly comedy club shows and generally holding her space there without folding. I have nothing against Bald Bryan, but he has a table full of electronics and a nerd force-field to shield him from the constant exposure to pure Carolla rays.
I don't know what 'it' Alison has that keeps her in lunar orbit 'round Adam's planet, but I'd say it takes alot of guts to get in there every night and (more's the point) come out undamaged. I reckon it can't be the pecuniary compensation that provides the motive. I've read threads where forum posters have called into the show and tried to keep up wih Adam for a whole minute and a half. Alison does that x1000 while standing on her head. To me, that implies a strength or fortitude or foolishness beneath the surface facade. I wouldn't mind if she had a tasty bittersweet chocolate center, but I suspect there might be something more substantial within her sweetbreads...
Perhaps that is not satisfying for some listeners to a comedy podcast. Fair enough.

Hollywood
....chubby, fat face, and B cups

WilliamB wrote:The podcast has blown since before it existed?

yes
SharonNeedles wrote:I'm with Jewdo on this one

And Tom Pepper

I have reached my breaking point with Alison. I don't "hate" her and I find her a touch less annoying than T, but the bottom line (for me) is that she doesn't bring anything to the table and I would prefer she go away. She is insecure, low-energy, and doesn't have a great voice. She has a few good lines every now and then but her misses far outweigh (not a fat joke) her hits, in my opinion. Basically, I don't care about her at all and she is not interesting.

Todd Brisket
human interaction simulation

I for one will say
Huzzah!
I think it is fantastic that Alison now has her own show on the network. It seems the FCOL:Singles is shaping up to be The Alison Show starring Lynette. I am a big fan of Alison.
Allybaby if you read this keep it up and get that show rolling.

4k78

tardbasket wrote:I for one will say
Huzzah!
I think it is fantastic that Alison now has her own show on the network. It seems the FCOL:Singles is shaping up to be The Alison Show starring Lynette. I am a big fan of Alison.

Maybe next year at this time it can be FCOL:Married Edition. :up:

Gimme a break
You made humor the issue, not me.

Alison's probably doing better in this poll than Carolla would.
Cunnilingus wrote:Gimme a Break: Most underrated poster.

mpa
Heavyset Woman of Color

Gimme a break wrote:Alison's probably doing better in this poll than Carolla would.

You're part of the fan base that thought/think Teresa Straser is talented - so, no surprise. (Alison laps Teresa in terms of comedy by the way)

RUABIGGAL

tardbasket wrote:I for one will say
Huzzah!

I know, wonder how they broke the news to Gina?

calfaro

On my celphone so ill try to be succint:
Taking over too much of the podcast? Ridiculous. If anything she constantly gets railroaded by Adam when shes trying to "yes and" him. The pimp improv with Norm is a perfect example.
Also, shes starting to open up more about her personal life. Of course that may be lost on a listener if theyre skipping a ton of shows. (no judgment)
For me, id love even more Alison. So im excited about the new show with Mrs. Carolla.