Login   Register
 Login    Register
Sports Talk radio gabfest
1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

I enjoyed Jay Mohr's 'take' on sports talk for awhile, but now cannot listen to even one segment. Rome continues to baffle me, I just don't get how he does the same show year after year...whilst sprinkling in a short-lived TV show here and there...and continues to stay employed. I cannot stand any of the ESPN offerings, and mostly listen to local sports talk and occasionally fire up the CBS Sports Radio stream (mostly to give me something to get angry about).

One thing I have NEVER understood is Scott Ferrall. I heard Adam mention him years ago, and never paid attention. This guy is a CBS Sports Radio guy, so I hear his absolutely atrocious voice doing teasers and commercials for his show...........HOW does this show exist? WHO is listening to it? I will never get how this guy is employed doing ANYTHING with that voice...add to that that his schtick seems to be "I just say what I think, deal with it!!!!" and woof. Zoinks, even.

phpBB [video]
Follow @CarollaBoards for updates & news! -- TWITTER ME @1780sGuy
Feeney, to Dameshek (re: reading message boards): How 'bout you read your daughter a book? "Oh, no no no, I gotta see what 1780's Guy said." [Daves Of Thunder, Episode 60]

mutual disinterest
you may be excited, but no one else cares

totally agree, I tuned out years ago for all the reasons you mentioned.
"Mutual Disinterest, you are one witty person. I won't even try to duel with your cleverness. You have bested me, and I kneel before your greatness."

"if You flash a girl you pay her 300,000, If she flashes you, you pay her 20 bucks."

Heinrich_Victory
look Ma, no lube!

Holy shit that Scott guy's voice. :shocker:

I rather listen to Ned Gerblansky doing radio.

Burt
SEG is correct

We have two sports talk stations here. One is quite good, 810 WHB. Of course it is KC and midwest centric. Problem is that it is so densely packed with advertising I just can't take it. I cherry pick a few of their podcasts once in a while. It's an ESPN radio affiliate so that's what they broadcast off peak hours. Useless.

lovelinefan
I don't have a dog and I don't like french fries

I was listening to Ferrall a few weeks ago and wondered the same thing - how the FUCK does a guy who sounds like he gargles with razor blades ever get hired to be on air? Most people would probably rather stick knitting needles in their ears than listen to him.

I listened to Jay's sports show a few years ago when it was first on, it was better than Rome but got old fast. Rome is just going through the motions.
Lovelinefan ain't nothin to fuck with

DonnyCal

KNBR radio home of the Giants, Niners and Warriors.

It's sports talk radio but is mostly driven by the on air personalities who have the license to talk about whatever they want at times.

If I'm not mistaken Ferrall was one of those personalities for about a year some twenty years ago.

Currently KNBR is a CBS affiliate and you can hear Ferrall at odd hours of the evening if one were so inclined - I am not.
Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?

1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

It seems like an elaborate punking of America, having that guy on the air. Who willingly listens to that guy....let alone who calls in to talk to him/get his opinion on things?

There was a loud mouth named Mike North who helped launch sports talk in Chicago years ago....he got way too big for his britches, and eventually floated off into oblivion (after getting duped by a superfan who setup an online sports station built on fake money). He's now on Fox Sports every now and then. He was responsible for classics such as this:

phpBB [video]
Feeney, to Dameshek (re: reading message boards): How 'bout you read your daughter a book? "Oh, no no no, I gotta see what 1780's Guy said." [Daves Of Thunder, Episode 60]

lovelinefan

I can't STAND Mike North. I just Youtubed him and found out about that Ponzi scheme he got mixed up in:
phpBB [video]

Jizzus Chrise, I think he might be an even worse singer than a sports talk host. I bet he wrote that song, it's so horrible.

You ever listen to Boers and Bernstein, 1780's?

1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

Of course. Started out on The Heavy Fuel Crew, McNeil & Boers way before douchebag Bernstein attached himself to Uncle Terry!

Prison Mike
Why don't we pump some iron? Anyone wanna pump up?

I listen to WFAN in New York a lot. Not always by choice, but because it comes in so well in my car.

Boomer and Carton is good in the morning. I root for Craig Carton because I went to college with him. I doubt he remembers me.

Mike Francesca is knowledgeable, but SO GRUMPY. It's comical to hear him sigh and sound so unenthusiastic about talking to callers.

We also have former Cincinnati Red Rob Dibble hosting a Hartford-based show. He's okay, but sometimes overvalues himself and importance to the game.

lovelinefan

Does he ever talk about his fight with Lou Piniella?

lovelinefan

I hope this brings about Mike North's long overdue retirement.

mutual disinterest
you may be excited, but no one else cares

I agree, North's awful, but he's also right---Mendoza is awful too.
"Mutual Disinterest, you are one witty person. I won't even try to duel with your cleverness. You have bested me, and I kneel before your greatness."

"if You flash a girl you pay her 300,000, If she flashes you, you pay her 20 bucks."

HowWouldIKnowThat
My bad, didn't even look at what thread we were in

So...did he say something offensive or something? Just that she was a bad announcer from what I saw quoted.

lovelinefan

The implication is he thinks she's a bad announcer because she's a woman.

Fox Sports is going to get completely unwatchable with the addition of Skip Bayless.