Login   Register
 Login    Register
2017-06-13 FCOL: I'm Gonna Beat Him With A Stick
cantjudge
69 feels like 69, amirite?

Lynette opens this weeks first episode of For Crying Out Loud recapping her family vacation to Washington over the weekend. Then she talks about one particular event from the trip that occurred when Sonny got lost while on a hike. After that, Stefanie reads a letter from the school to all the 3rd grade parents. This leads to the two of them finishing off the show by talking about how reading is seen too much of as a chore these days for kids.

http://aw.noxsolutions.com/launchpod/ad ... &type=.mp3

Smartmouth
Indonesian Proxy Master

Adam and Natalia jumped off a bridge into a river during their white water rafting trip. They talk about it here, and Adam also brings it up on his podcast.

Here are Lynette's and Adam's estimates for the height of the bridge:

Lynette says:------------20 stories
Adam says:--------------13 or 14 feet plus the 42 inches to the top of the railing

I think I'm going to go with Adam's version of the story on this one.

Twenty stories, by the way, is about 200 feet. I understand that Lynette doesn't walk around with a tape measure on her belt, but still. To imagine that this company allowed people to jump off a 200-foot bridge is insane. As far as I know, the current world record for a cliff jump is held by Brazilian Laso Schaller, who jumped 192 feet, and that was done with a professional diver, intense preparations, and specialized equipment. I think they even used six air tanks to aerate the water and soften the landing. Even then, the dude had to be helped out of the pool.

For the sake of comparison, check out this dive from 172 feet. About 20 seconds into the video, the camera will pull back to show just how high this guy is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDqN8sEl6oE

According to Lynette's estimate, Natalia jumped from a bridge that was 28 feet higher than that.

And to think that she freaked out when her 11-year-old son ran a bit ahead of them on the trail. Imagine her thinking that Natalia jumped from that height.

(For another point of comparison, the clearance below the Golden Gate Bridge is about 220 feet.)

HowWouldIKnowThat
My bad, didn't even look at what thread we were in

Does Lynette really stand by the 20 stories thing, or does she just say it and move on. If she just blows by it, I think we can give her the benefit of the doubt of meaning either 2 stories or 20 feet. She's a human that's been in an elevator, so she must know the difference.
_me wrote:a guy sucking YOUR dick doesn't mean you're gay

Smartmouth
Indonesian Proxy Master

HowWouldIKnowThat wrote:Does Lynette really stand by the 20 stories thing, or does she just say it and move on. If she just blows by it, I think we can give her the benefit of the doubt of meaning either 2 stories or 20 feet. She's a human that's been in an elevator, so she must know the difference.

She just said it and moved on. Nobody challenged her, so she didn't have to stand by it or anything like that. I'm sure if someone had, she would have adjusted her estimate by 18 or 19 stories.

I was kind of surprised that Stefanie didn't challenge her on this. She did react a little bit. She said, "Wow, that sounds really dangerous." But she didn't press the issue. I guess she didn't really understand what 20 stories meant either. And our man in the booth (probably Caelan) didn't say anything. He probably wasn't listening. He doesn't seem that tuned in most of the time.

Lynette clearly did say 20 stories, though, whatever she thought that meant. I was so surprised that I rewound and listened a couple of times to see if I'd heard correctly. Of course, she has no idea what 20 stories really means in terms of height. There's no way she honestly believed that Natalia jumped from that height. She just said it without realizing what it meant.

I'm just giving her a hard time here. I probably wouldn't have except that right afterwards, I heard Adam's estimate of 13 or 14 feet. THAT made a lot more sense. As a jumper-into-water of many years, I know that even 14 feet can seem pretty high when you're standing on the edge.

It's still weird, though. Lynette describes the children jumping from this bridge as being so high up that they look like "stick figures" up there. That doesn't jive with Adam's estimate of 13 to 14 feet either.

lurkilou

Lynette also calls IEPs IPAs, so she's not always very precise in her wording :wink:

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

adam also has a story that she thought one or two sheets of 8 foot plywood would cover their big pool for a party

_me
Revisionist

It is only something a stupid person would say, but I could see Lynette saying 20 stories when she meant 20 feet. Even that overestimates it but it is at least close to what Adam said.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

goldberry9999

The reading discussion was wayyyy too funny. Lynette claiming she "loves to read"? She listens to audio books. I don't for a second believe that she ever was a voracious reader like Stefanie. And when Lynette claimed that she and the girl from the other family just wanted to go back to the house and "read", she mentions later that she read a magazine. Maybe Sonny and Natalia are having trouble getting their reading done and developing their love of reading is because their parents don't read? Listening to audio books and reading magazines is not reading. Sonny and Natalia could never tell their teachers they completed a reading assignment by listening to it.

I don't care what Lynette does - listening to audio books is great because you can absorb content while multitasking. But don't claim it's "reading." And I don't care what Adam does - but he boasts that he can't read or write yet doesn't work to improve those skills or any other skills he lacks.

Sonny and Natalia sound like good kids who will be good adults but their years in school are going to be more difficult more IEPs more complaining from their parents. Lynette and Adam are not academic and they can't admit that the problem is their inability to figure this out, not the school system. They complain about the school and the type and amount of homework but it doesn't seem like little Cami's family is having trouble with school.