Login   Register
 Login    Register
03.02.10 - Daves of Thunder: Premiere Show
ZombyWoof
Whoa, let's stop with the armchair psychoanalysis

Pedigree was a poor choice of words as I guess it implies I'm a super-knowledgeable fan. I'm not. I'm no Dave expert. Everyone knows that I like Dave a lot, let's say.
Amazing history? You really think so? I can think of some amazing times, such as Josh Gardner imitating Dr. Drew, or Jimmy kimmel hanging up on Dave when he "insulted" a certain Dodger first baseman, and so on... but Feeney? I remember that he was there, but don't remember anything amazing. Maybe I've just forgotten, as I have to admit it's Dave's work with Adam (i.e. TACS 2006) that I've listened to over and over and remember the best. I even admit that there was a stretch of time where I was missing many of Dave's shows altogether. So maybe I missed the magic.
But what did you think of this outing when he clearly thinks he's Dave's equal rather than a guest? I thought it was a goddamned disaster.
Last edited by ZombyWoof on March 3rd, 2010, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holder of Genuine Get Out of Jerk Free Card

ropadi

As is, this is a big FAIL!
Feeney...JEEERRRKK! pow! Pow! Pow!
How say you FishTank?

Frank Grimes

ZombyWoof wrote:But what did you think of this outing when he clearly thinks he's Dave's equal rather than a guest? I thought it was a goddamned disaster.

He can't possibly be worse than the Blue Horseshoe...
I have no doubt Dameshek will work it out, and eventually Feeney will contribute more concisely. The first requirement for a good podcast is camaraderie and respect, and Dave and Dave seem to share that. So give them some time to work out the kinks. If it doesn't work out, the Sass is a perfectly adequate replacement.
Dameshek really is uniquely talented when discussing sports with a comedic twist. He knows how to entertain, and work with a partner... witness his recent podcast with Bill Simmons. With any luck, his new podcast is going to be daily, and focused on current sports events... that's where Dameshek really shines.

GermanyOrFlorida

ZombyWoof wrote:But what did you think of this outing when he clearly thinks he's Dave's equal rather than a guest? I thought it was a goddamned disaster.

My podcast got cut off at 16 minutes, so I didn't listen to the whole thing yet, but most of what I heard was pulled from Feeney's previous appearances. Here's a thread from the Dameshek board though :
http://dave.18.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=2900&hl=
Count how many of them are about Feeney. He's the best guest that Dave has ever had so maybe they need a show or two to find some rhythm, but the chemistry is there.

The Six

Frank Grimes wrote:If it doesn't work out, the Sass is a perfectly adequate replacement.

Can anyone explain how the Sass is anything but terrible radio?

1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

Just zipped through an episode of American Idol, so maybe that is clouding my judgment (seems especially bad this year, for some reason). In any case, the four-headed judging monster is really hanging their hats on "you're just trying TOO hard ... you're pushing TOO much" it seems ...... and I think it applies here.
I agree that one podcast is too small of a sample size to judge, but from it I got the feeling that he felt his job was to be cutesy with his poking of Dave, patented Dave outrage over nothing, and saying things that would be said if someone took the time to do a parody of this pairing.
If the verbal "sparring" and outrage and quick quips is going to be their spin in each and every episode, I'm sure I'll be checking out a whole heck of a lot sooner that I hit SUBSCRIBE. And, again, this is coming from a dude that likes and supports Dave.
Dave is pretty unique in his ability to play along and prod the strange humor out of situations - but the hackey zingers and feigned outrage during what is (apparently) us getting to listen in on a couple of "chums" chatting it up is enough to cancel out the funny that Dave can bring ... at least for me, dawg.
Follow @CarollaBoards for updates & news! -- TWITTER ME @1780sGuy
Feeney, to Dameshek (re: reading message boards): How 'bout you read your daughter a book? "Oh, no no no, I gotta see what 1780's Guy said." [Daves Of Thunder, Episode 60]

MandateGetItOn

Damn, the Dameshek Jihad is out in full force, anyone who dare cross him will feel the wrath. Poor Feeney.

JGdmn
Hypocritical Singing Carpenter

GermanyOrFlorida wrote:He's the best guest that Dave has ever had so maybe they need a show or two to find some rhythm, but the chemistry is there.

He would be a much better guest or competent sidekick than co-host, I think. He's just a bit grating in big doses.

ZombyWoof
Whoa, let's stop with the armchair psychoanalysis

Ray Oldhafer has had some great moments with Adam...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/763ekJCnUew&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/763ekJCnUew&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
But imagine if Adam tried to make Ray his co-host. I think that's what is happening here. All the segments on this cast were repeat performances and they were all of the "Hey, Dave, remember when you...?" or a friend of Dave poking at Dave to get a reaction from Dave type. I don't think that's an accident.
When friends get together just about anyone can go through a 10-20 minute "remember the time when?" jag. It's funnier when at least one of those guys is a truly funny guy. And it can make for a good moment, but it wears out fast if that's all you've got.
Some people have accused me of a "get Dave back together with Adam" obsession, and it's true that I would be on Cloud Nine if that happened. But I would also be happy if Adam paired up with Jimmy Kimmel or Tim Conway Jr. Or Dave paired up with Jimmy Kimmel, or Adam filled the Jackie chair on the Stern Show. My true agenda has always been the pairing of A level talent with A level talent as opposed to all this obnoxious pairing of A level with C or D level that has been going on since Jack Visionless Silver broke up what Jimmy Kimmel put together.
My argument against Adam pairing with Teresa and Bryan has been that very issue of pairing A level talent with C and D level talent. Much as Teresa is a one trick pony with her celebretard news to get Adam on an anti-celebretard rant, Feeney seems to be a one trick pony - poking at Dave in a "remember the time when" kind of way. It's the same problem - a basic lack of true talent. So, while he may have been involved in some memorable moments I've seen no indication that Feeney has A or even B level co-host talent. And calling him the best guest or co-host on the Dave show for the last year is frankly damning with faint praise.
I believe that Dave Dameshek is an A level talent. And as a radio fan I'm comparing him not just with present day talents such as Stern and Carolla but also to the likes of Jack Benny, Henry Morgan and Jean Shepherd. I think he has that kind of talent.
To tell the truth I don't think any of Dave's shows have been A-level shows; nor has Adam had an A level show since Dec. of '06 - and for the same reason. And to tell the truth I started to fade out on Dave's show(s) for the same reason I'm downloading fewer and fewer ACPs.
Adam and Dave A level talents and I continue to be frustrated that neither is on an A level show. The solution is goddamned obvious.
Last edited by ZombyWoof on March 4th, 2010, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holder of Genuine Get Out of Jerk Free Card

ozweepay

Writer on According to Jim=Comedic Genius

LeykisMan!

Thus far I'm not a fan of Feeny's. The guy was annoying and seemed to think that he was hitting balls out of the park in the comedy department.
And I hope the "sidekick/co-host" argument was was just schtick. I won't be able to listen to this show if its going to be Feeny attempting to bust Shek's balls each time.( in annoying way that he does it) It was just the first show though, so I'm not tapping out anytime soon.
I didnt know Shek was 45, he doesn't look that old to me. It was laughable that Feeny thought he looks any much younger than Shek.
On a side note, Conway Jr. was mentioned in this thread by Zomb I think...Ive thought about this before but I think he and Shek would make an interesting duo.
Last edited by LeykisMan! on March 4th, 2010, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

LeykisMan! wrote:I didnt know Shek was 45, he doesn't look that old to me. It was laughable that Feeny thought he looks any much younger than Shek.

Dameshek is 39 -- I' thought he was even younger than that.
Feeney also said he was 50 later on in the podcast. It was schtick.

JGdmn
Hypocritical Singing Carpenter

LeykisMan! wrote:On a side note, Conway Jr. was mentioned in this thread by Zomb I think...Ive thought about this before but I think he and Shek would make an interesting duo.

That would be fantastic, I couldn't think of a better pairing.

caligirl22

ropadi wrote:As is, this is a big FAIL!
Feeney...JEEERRRKK! pow! Pow! Pow!
How say you FishTank?

LOLLLL!!! Oh how I've missed this...
"How dare you..."

mjmartin78

Feeney's a gem. Give the show a few weeks to develop before destroying the guy.