Login   Register
 Login    Register
Listening through DOT for 3rd time
imchipdouglas

Somebody can go ahead and "cool story bro" me just to get it over with, but thanks to the Daves of Thunder archive and a little iTunes savvy I was able to import every episode as a chapter of an audiobook. I just finished my second run-through of the eps (the first being a "live" run-through) and am starting my third right after concluding the second.

Man, what a great fucking show it was.

Despite all my complaining, I still think ACS is listenable, but in terms of laughs-per-minute, DOT was in a completely different universe. Feeney was the opposite of Adam--guy was quicker on his feet AND did a bit of writing on the show, without most of the gang-taping/industrial approach to production. And listening to it now allows me to FF through listener songs and the no-Feeney episodes, and to not wonder what's up when there's no episode this week or languish through the "Top 40 Listener Music" episodes. There was a genuine sadness listening to the last episode, and I honestly had a dream it was getting renewed and was crushed to wake up and snap into focus.

One thing I had forgotten is how at the beginning, Shek tries to defend himself against Feeney's outrageous accusations of being fat, ugly, super-wealthy, etc. Somehow this little niche of comedy was a surprise to Shek at the beginning, and in the ensuing episodes he realizes this is just Feeney making fun.

Another thing that surprised me is to hear both Feeney & Shek sound genuinely annoyed that it was getting canceled. I thought I remembered Feeney regarding the show as a hassle near the end--and forgive me if I'm not as familiar with the politics of the show as some of you are--but Feeney basically said he wanted to continue doing the show but one of Donny's problems was that it had to be on a regular schedule to justify its existence. So if they were going to take random week- or month-breaks, or do shitty listener music eps, or have Feeney phone in, they were getting canned. Feeney made fun of the idea that it was about download #s by citing The Parent Experiment & The Larry Miller Show. As annoying as the show's unreliability was, I would have happily accepted more randomly-done shows continuing on today.

If it really was the case that it was a battle over whether they could promise regular Tues/Thurs (?) shows, and not about DLs, that is such a waste. I think of DOT collectively as the sales rep who is only in office 3 days a week but still burns it down in sales dollars. All this time later I still can't get over the fact (?) that it got the kibosh because Donny imposed some sort of non-performance metric (regularity) that DOT's cult following would have gratefully lived with or without--especially now that Donny himself is gone.

So here I go, back to Episode 3 for the third time. It's like the sad movie vignette when a family member goes back and watches the Handi-Cam footage of a loved one who has passed on in the dark.
Uh, should we, uh, do a little, uh, news?

Prison Mike
Why don't we pump some iron? Anyone wanna pump up?

Man, I'm just going to have to listen to all these shows considering the universal praise. How many episodes were there?

Hollywood
....chubby, fat face, and B cups

The show was cancelled by Donny because they refused to sign some retarded contract he wrote up, not because they took a week off here and there, as we later learned when Dameshek came back onto ACS after Weez was fired
SharonNeedles wrote:I'm with Jewdo on this one

imchipdouglas

Knuckles Goldberg wrote:The show was cancelled by Donny because they refused to sign some retarded contract he wrote up, not because they took a week off here and there, as we later learned when Dameshek came back onto ACS after Weez was fired

What ep of ACS was that? I've missed very few ACS shows but I don't seem to remember that one. And BTW listening to the last episode of DOT Feeney makes a comment about how Donny said they needed to do regular shows or else...

jovialjackee
Net Wt. 12 OZ (340g)

imchipdouglas wrote:
Knuckles Goldberg wrote:The show was cancelled by Donny because they refused to sign some retarded contract he wrote up, not because they took a week off here and there, as we later learned when Dameshek came back onto ACS after Weez was fired

What ep of ACS was that? I've missed very few ACS shows but I don't seem to remember that one. And BTW listening to the last episode of DOT Feeney makes a comment about how Donny said they needed to do regular shows or else...

This was revealed on a Film Vault episode, not ACS.

jovialjackee
Net Wt. 12 OZ (340g)

jovialjackee
Net Wt. 12 OZ (340g)

imchipdouglas wrote:

Here's a clip of just that.

phpBB [video]

HuellHauser
alright, calm down internet

Well start it at 2:25.
beeney wrote:my vagina and asshole felt like it exploded open.

Huell's Haberdashery Hangout Hour: The Podcast

imchipdouglas

Thanks for the link, Jacki. Now I remember.

And Mike, there were 63 episodes I believe, but Feeney was gone for maybe 10% of those and 1 or 2 were filler shows with "listener music."

I was busy at work and didn't get a chance to listen to Friday's (?) live ACS show, and just got around to it during a workout today (Sunday). Well, I got about 20 minutes into ACS and just had to switch back over to listening to a DOT episode for a 3rd time. I just about got whiplash going from Feeney/Shek chemistry to Screamfest in Irvine--you could hear the sweat dripping off a drunken Adam's brow and the spittle flecking onto the stage as he literally shouts his way through "What Can't Adam Complain About?" (whose rules he no longer follows), prefaced by Alison helpfully explaining to the audience what that self-explanatory game is all about. It was already hard not to notice the growing assembly line approach to ACS, but going straight over from DOT makes much of ACS an even tougher listen.

Speaking of (I know this is its own, probably well-traveled thread), for those DOT/ACS fans out there, what other comedy podcasts do you listen to? I'm looking for some backups whenever I see "Live at..." show up under today's ACS show. I've said it before but Sklarbro Country (for all its faults) is probably my #2 behind DOT now, then ACS. I listen to Rogan unless he has on one of his mystics or pseudoscientist kooks, and I listen to all of Dave Dameshek's Football Program shows. If I like a guest I'll check out Mohr Stories or WTF. I tried listening to Alison's good guests (e.g., Dameshek) but I really can't suffer through her as a host. Other than EconTalk (low on the list nowadays) that's it. Any other good ones I'm missing?
Last edited by imchipdouglas on July 14th, 2013, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

Ten Minute Podcast.

Prison Mike

Neil T wrote:Ten Minute Podcast.

I listened to the first few months of it, but burned out on this show. There is too little variation from episode to episode. The guys just pick on each other the whole time. No guests. Is it still that way?

Neil T
Dead chuffed

Prison Mike wrote:Is it still that way?

Some podcasts are slow, and you don't know how long they last. That's why you listen to Ten Minute Podcast.

Prison Mike

Neil T wrote:
Prison Mike wrote:Is it still that way?

Some podcasts are slow, and you don't know how long they last. That's why you listen to Ten Minute Podcast.

I may check it out if Shawna still be keepin' it real.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

She's keepin' it real, muthafugga.

imchipdouglas

I'll check out the TMP

And now I remember that TFV clip with Shek. Was really trying to focus on the backstory, but curses be upon Anderson (aka Biff from Back to the Future) for blathering on over the top of Dameshek with his mostly unimportant drivel.

What a tragedy. I'd pay $100/yr, maybe more, for a resurrected DOT pod.