Login   Register
 Login    Register
What a deal!
1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

Here's a thread to post your amazing buys....better if they're in real time, so others can share in your joy, but feel free to post back any incredible deal you've secured for yourself.

First up, me:

One of my cars is a 2009 Chevy - at some point one of the two key fob/key sets was lost. Not sure where, but it's gone. I've been holding off on going to the dealer, as I know what will be coming. So I did a little scrounging online.

I ended up buying two key fobs/remotes for $20 - BRAND NEW, and look identical to the OEM. Like literally the touch and feel and look of the remote is identical - same buttons (remote start etc), same shape(s).

Next I thought about the key. Surely Home Depot or Ace or any other store doesn't stock EVERY key for EVERY make and EVERY model -- and I know from my old 1999 F150, when they do they charge like $60 (because the key has a chip in it that needs to be programmed). So I scrounge around for keys - for the "+" key that this car uses, I found two key blanks for a total of $10.

Then I worried about getting the keys cut - would a store be willing to cut a key that they didn't sell? So I called the local locksmith - "no problem, bring 'em by, $4". So bring 'em buy I did - $5 and change later, keys were cut perfectly.

Now I had instructions on how to program the remotes - and that was easy. I also had instructions on how to program the key (once cut, the key would go in and turn, but won't actually turn on the vehicle unless the key has also been programmed).....very nicely, the locksmith came out (as she was familiar with doing this) and programmed the keys for me, on the spot. n/c

So now I have three sets of keys for the car. My cost? About $36 for the two new sets!

Now even more curious, I called the local Chevy dealer and asked what it would cost for a new, programmed key fob and a new, programmed and cut key. Thurr answer? $160 each! Not that I would have bought two new sets through the dealer, but the price difference would have been $320 VS $36 (or, obviously, $160 VS $18)!!

Anyway, I get a strange sense of satisfaction in transactions like this - maybe you do, too? POST 'EM UP!

(full disclosure, I think we've done this type of thread before, but I'm not positive...)
Follow @CarollaBoards for updates & news! -- TWITTER ME @1780sGuy
Feeney, to Dameshek (re: reading message boards): How 'bout you read your daughter a book? "Oh, no no no, I gotta see what 1780's Guy said." [Daves Of Thunder, Episode 60]

my aim is true
The palest of skin, the darkest of desires.

I love classic men's overcoats/dusters, and just picked up a 90% wool/10% cashmere version originally priced at $1600 but reduced to $400. 75% discount.

Can only rock the overcoat in SoCal from around December through March. Too warm, thereafter.

This particular coat is long and roomy, and can accomodate the symbiotic relationship of at least one petite spinner on her knees, without drawing much attention...

Hollywood
....chubby, fat face, and B cups

my aim is true wrote:I love classic men's overcoats/dusters, and just picked up a 90% wool/10% cashmere version originally priced at $1600 but reduced to $400. 75% discount.

Can only rock the overcoat in SoCal from around December through March. Too warm, thereafter.

This particular coat is long and roomy, and can accomodate the symbiotic relationship of at least one petite spinner on her knees, without drawing much attention...
humblebrag
SharonNeedles wrote:I'm with Jewdo on this one

fatty_mcfatfat
That can't be true, I love cock

I never knew people spent so much on coats. Or is it just this board?
HuellHauser wrote: Legally Blonde is awesome.

Hollywood
....chubby, fat face, and B cups

I looked into a fur coat, they expensive
SharonNeedles wrote:I'm with Jewdo on this one

1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

Whenever I need a new one I just lift it off the guy I just beat the crap out of /jcig
Feeney, to Dameshek (re: reading message boards): How 'bout you read your daughter a book? "Oh, no no no, I gotta see what 1780's Guy said." [Daves Of Thunder, Episode 60]

Der Lobo
Yall loosers

fatty_mcfatfat wrote:I never knew people spent so much on coats. Or is it just this board?

high net worth individuals do.

fatty_mcfatfat
That can't be true, I love cock

Yeah dude, I get my coats from the mission, so that makes sense.
HuellHauser wrote: Legally Blonde is awesome.

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

Knuckles Goldberg wrote:I looked into a fur coat, they expensive so I'm growing my own.
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

Neil T wrote:Ow, my balls are on fire. etc.

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

that key story just reinforces my belief that dealers are all crooks. if it was profitable for all others who provided product and services, it should be profitable for a bulk service provider like dealer, yet they want 10x the money..
dealership system needs to go away anyway and allow for direct sales.

related: i recently read some article where it said that Intel made 70-90% of pure profit on the sale of computer chips. ie if they sold some high end processor for $700, it only cost them something like $70 to make.. i understand the economy of it, R&D, brand recognition etc.. but that's a bit greedy.

OldSnake
stupid moron with an ugly face & a big butt

Thread title made me think of this
phpBB [video]
wbeaumo wrote:Clearly, this place is crawling with posters whose unofficial leader is that cockroach P.O.

backsack
I like urban kids

wolferl99 wrote:
fatty_mcfatfat wrote:I never knew people spent so much on coats. Or is it just this board?

high net worth individuals do.

*sniiiiiiiiiif*
1780's Guy wrote:Per usual, sack is correct.

Der Lobo
Yall loosers

VictoryGin
Hehe - I can't even afford foreplay!

1780's Guy wrote:So I called the local locksmith - "no problem, bring 'em by, $4". So bring 'em buy I did - $5 and change later, keys were cut perfectly.

Was there a story behind the phone call where it was $4 and the actual visit where it was $5 and change? Tax (at 8.25%) would only get you to $4.33, so that doesn't explain the difference. It seems odd that he would say $4, not just lazily rounding up to $5 as most of us would on such a call, only to find out that it WAS $5.

There's a story here. Get CNN on this shit.
backsack wrote:You're really fucking annoying today.
backsack wrote:Shut the fuck up already.
JustAnotherMike wrote:"We are doing the best we can with the resources that we have"

1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

It's a good question. I'll find the receipt, but I actually went in figuring it was $4 for each key - so the total of $5+ seemed quite the deal.

I am a bit saddened by the lack of joy in my deal from fatts, if I'm being honest. Honestly, I thought she'd be pretty jazzed about it. Let's be honest here, not the first time that fatts has let me down.