Login   Register
 Login    Register
Am I a bad guy?
1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

[A running thread where you post a questionable action, by you, and let us decide if you are...indeed...a bad guy (or gal)]

At a gas station, I scooped out 14 pennies out of the "Give A/Take A" cup instead of just grabbing, say, 4, or even none (and just coughing up another single and accepting my $.86 worth of change). Keep in mind there were at least 40 more pennies in there after I removed my stack. Am I a bad guy?

(side note, anytime I do receive change I ALWAYS "give" my change if it's $.10 or less)
Follow @CarollaBoards for updates & news! -- TWITTER ME @1780sGuy
Feeney, to Dameshek (re: reading message boards): How 'bout you read your daughter a book? "Oh, no no no, I gotta see what 1780's Guy said." [Daves Of Thunder, Episode 60]

Heinrich_Victory
look Ma, no lube!

Usually, if you have to ask...

But in this case, there's plenty in there, you give back, who cares. Hell I toss nickles and dimes in there just so I don't have to carry them around.

Hollywood
....chubby, fat face, and B cups

More like Hitler Guy
SharonNeedles wrote:I'm with Jewdo on this one

backsack
I like urban kids

It's give a penny/take a penny, not give a penny/take pennies. Can't you fucking read?!!!

But seriously, this is no big deal.
1780's Guy wrote:Per usual, sack is correct.

1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

Yah, I know cosmically I'm ok (as I'm guessing my standard "keep it" or "donate it to the cause" response to >dime change probably has my balance in the positive, overall)....but I just wonder, at that moment, if I looked like a creep.

The crazy thing about those cups is when you see dollar coins in there....WTF? On more than one occasion I've seen that, but even quarters (which I see a lot more) amaze me. The scenario, as I've painted it in my mind, is that some dude stopped at the gas station to fill up his rental car before hitting the airport...bought a pack of smokes or gum...got the coins in his change...and figured he didn't want them clinking around in his pocket as he went through security etc. Ok, I've given that way too much thought.
Feeney, to Dameshek (re: reading message boards): How 'bout you read your daughter a book? "Oh, no no no, I gotta see what 1780's Guy said." [Daves Of Thunder, Episode 60]

Hollywood
....chubby, fat face, and B cups

I've never seen anything more than pennies or nickels in those. If I saw dollar coins I would take them
SharonNeedles wrote:I'm with Jewdo on this one

JGdmn
Hypocritical Singing Carpenter

Yes.

SlowandGo

1780's Guy wrote:At a gas station, I scooped out 14 pennies out of the "Give A/Take A" cup instead of just grabbing, say, 4, or even none (and just coughing up another single and accepting my $.86 worth of change). Keep in mind there were at least 40 more pennies in there after I removed my stack. Am I a bad guy?

(side note, anytime I do receive change I ALWAYS "give" my change if it's $.10 or less)

Well it sounds like you would be willing to supply an a equivalent amount of change so I'd say no.

If you were intending on using the give/take system to get ahead of the game then you're a bad guy.

GermanyOrFlorida

Did you leave any pennies in there at all? If there weren't, say, 8 pennies left, I say JERK!

1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

JGdmn wrote:Yes.

CREEP

And, yes, there were way more pennies left in there than I took. I will never clear out that cup, for whatever that's worth.

cmr
taco muncher

1780's Guy wrote:And, yes, there were way more pennies left in there than I took. I will never clear out that cup, for whatever that's worth.

Probably another eight or nine cents amirite?

1780's Guy
Omnipotent Ramrod

I am SUCH a big shot that I literally don't even wait to be handed the change....I walk away, leaving the decision in the cashier's hands (does he keep it in the drawer, does he dump it in the cup etc). Boom.

Ok, so it looks like I am not a bad guy...at least in the instance. Who's next? Post your scenario for all to judge.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

We don't have that "give a penny, take 22 pennies" thing here. We have charity boxes -- if you have spare change, you put it in a charity box on the shop counter.

It is generally frowned upon to walk off with the charity box or empty it in to your pockets, unlike apparently in Gangland Chicago where 1780s lives. In his underground criminal lair. Counting stolen coins like Scrooge McDuck.

Heinrich_Victory
look Ma, no lube!

We have the charity boxes here too. It's usually a local family who's house burned down or a kid who has cancer some shit. I'll dump my change in there every so often.

Prison Mike
Why don't we pump some iron? Anyone wanna pump up?

This was actually a plot point in the movie The Amazing Spider-Man. Peter Parker was told by the clerk that in order to take a penny he had to spend a 10 dollar minimum. Have never, ever seen or heard of this rule.

But to answer your question-- no.