Login   Register
 Login    Register
Tabletop gaming
Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

Todd Brisket wrote:The Worst Board Game Box Art Ever
https://www.tabletoptribe.com/worst-board-game-box-art-ever/

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

Digital Blackface wrote:why are you all so stupid?

HowWouldIKnowThat
My bad, didn't even look at what thread we were in

Sleds don't roll. Hopefully
cantjudge wrote:Oh, I thought all the black wangs would help.

Pascal's Pager
aka: the pretentious bigmouth

HowWouldIKnowThat wrote:Sleds don't roll. Hopefully

Players with dice do, though.

Pascal's Pager

Today bought Catan and a game called Elysium. ($79 because Mrs. PP liked the box art!)

Played Catan twice, both times I dominated. Now I can retire undefeated, like Dameshek with Connect 4.

Nathan Bateman wrote:After a long day of Turing tests, you gotta unwind.

Pascal's Pager

Bad times this weekend at the D&D table. Our group has been playing for a little over a year, and I've got two players whose styles have conflicted from the beginning.

One of the guys loves roleplaying. He plays a rogue, and that means being sneaky, doing things without always informing others what he's up to. At times that's created conflict, but everyone's always kept the conflicts "in character."

The other guy is a rules-lawyer. He likes calling people out over breaches of logic or consistency, and he's very vocal when he dislikes or disagrees with other players' choices. That's frequently led to tension between him and the rogue.

This weekend, a small confusion over whose turn it was somehow exploded into a huge name-calling fight, with both players angry and threatening to quit. I let them argue for a bit, hoping that if they just aired it out, everyone would feel better. That sorta worked, but then a few minutes later the whole thing exploded again, obviously unresolved.

We ended the session shortly thereafter and everyone went home pretty deflated. As the DM, I feel like I should adjudicate somehow, but I just don't know how to handle it. Neither guy was "wrong," it was just a misunderstanding that obviously served as a flashpoint for long-simmering tensions.

I've always run a very relaxed table, and I'm happy to let rules and situations be malleable if it means having more fun or keeping the peace. I've never understood hyper-competitive personalities, and it's hard for my pea-brain to process adults getting angry over a game.

It just sucks. A lot of time (and effort, and money) goes into playing, and it's a bummer when you walk away from it feeling like shite.
Last edited by Pascal's Pager on July 10th, 2017, 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

HuellHauser
alright, calm down internet

I've never known nerds to argue over rules.
beeney wrote:my vagina and asshole felt like it exploded open.

Huell's Haberdashery Hangout Hour: The Podcast

backsack
I like urban kids

Competition tends to reveal unsavory personality traits. I have experienced similar issues on the course, where sandbagging to win tournaments is a real problem. I maintain a real handicap - I keep a true score and I post that true score. I am a 17 on our course and play like a 17. This past Saturday, I played in a fourball match play tournament and one of the guys on my opposing team had a 22 handicap on the card so he got a pop on nearly every hole. Of course, he didn't play like a 22. He was chipping within one foot of the hole, nailing par putts all over the place and if they hadn't beat us on hole 16, he probably would have shot an 84 or 85. That is not the score of a 22 handicap. Of course, his partner kept playing it up, saying "man, you're shooting lights out today" and "I can't believe how well you're playing." Yeah, right. Fuck you, Wiger.
1780's Guy wrote:Per usual, sack is correct.

Cherry Pie wrote:You're stupid, Todd.

Pascal's Pager

backsack wrote: Fuck you, Wiger.

I enjoy the fact that "Wiger" is being appended to this common phrase. It should become a thing.

scottcolbath
Board Photog & Digitus Me'dius Enthusiast

backsack wrote:Competition tends to reveal unsavory personality traits. I have experienced similar issues on the course, where sandbagging to win tournaments is a real problem. I maintain a real handicap - I keep a true score and I post that true score. I am a 17 on our course and play like a 17. This past Saturday, I played in a fourball match play tournament and one of the guys on my opposing team had a 22 handicap on the card so he got a pop on nearly every hole. Of course, he didn't play like a 22. He was chipping within one foot of the hole, nailing par putts all over the place and if they hadn't beat us on hole 16, he probably would have shot an 84 or 85. That is not the score of a 22 handicap. Of course, his partner kept playing it up, saying "man, you're shooting lights out today" and "I can't believe how well you're playing." Yeah, right. Fuck you, Wiger.

How the hell can someone feel good about themself when acting like that? Makes no sense.

S.C.
Bill Brasky sits around telling Scott Colbath stories.
Prison Mike

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

Pascal's Pager wrote:
backsack wrote: Fuck you, Wiger.

I enjoy the fact that "Wiger" is being appended to this common phrase. It should become a thing.

The most wonderful part of TOC it was.
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

Digital Blackface wrote:why are you all so stupid?

Stockholmsyndrome
All roads eventually lead to Hitler

scottcolbath wrote:
backsack wrote:Competition tends to reveal unsavory personality traits. I have experienced similar issues on the course, where sandbagging to win tournaments is a real problem. I maintain a real handicap - I keep a true score and I post that true score. I am a 17 on our course and play like a 17. This past Saturday, I played in a fourball match play tournament and one of the guys on my opposing team had a 22 handicap on the card so he got a pop on nearly every hole. Of course, he didn't play like a 22. He was chipping within one foot of the hole, nailing par putts all over the place and if they hadn't beat us on hole 16, he probably would have shot an 84 or 85. That is not the score of a 22 handicap. Of course, his partner kept playing it up, saying "man, you're shooting lights out today" and "I can't believe how well you're playing." Yeah, right. Fuck you, Wiger.

How the hell can someone feel good about themself when acting like that? Makes no sense.

S.C.

Because they are winning. Simple.
cantjudge wrote:What kinda benis do you got?

Der Lobo
Yall loosers

Potter plus whiskey. Works.

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

played Cranium last night
with 5 doctors and 3 ITs
now you sound like that guy in the white dress that calls himself doctor

Todd Brisket
human interaction simulation

So you won

Dont Tell Ray