Digital Blackface

that book is such a joke even SNL knows it's bullshit

Neil T
Dead chuffed

But I enjoyed it, so who cares!

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

Neil T wrote:Image

Hmm... This Trumpy fella reminds me of someone...

I know a well-to-do guy like that. No doubt that is 100% accurate.
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

Digital Blackface wrote:why are you all so stupid?

RiverOtis

ZombyWoof
Whoa, let's stop with the armchair psychoanalysis

Just finished a book recommended by Dan Carlin: The Storm of Steel, by Ernst Jünger.

Highly recommend by me also. Junger was an eccentric man, but a very intelligent and very literate man. Short but pithy descriptions of life on the Western Front in WWI. Vivid descriptions of the many battles he was in. Incredible that he lived through everything. Just one episode with a runaway carriage while on leave should have killed him. Shot through the chest on two different occasions. Lived to be 102, as a matter of fact.

(I read a similar biography of German fighter pilot of WWII who lived through a dozen things that should have killed him, including incarceration in the USSR for years after the war.)

The audio version is narrated by a wonderfully British Englishman who gives it just the right tone. I'm tempted to go right back and listen to it again. It's that good.
Holder of Genuine Get Out of Jerk Free Card

Neil T
Dead chuffed

Is it this guy?

phpBB [video]

He's American, I believe.

ZombyWoof

That's the guy.

scottcolbath
Board Photog & Digitus Me'dius Enthusiast

RiverOtis wrote:Image

I'm very curious to know how you like this book. I may pick it up.

Also, Styx has no fucking business being lumped into the prog rock genre, with bands like Yes, Rush and Pink Floyd. I'd never consider Styx to be part of that. Maybe they had a couple tunes that fit the criteria, but they were far too mainstream, for the most part.

S.C.
Wondering if I've started an argument now.
Bill Brasky sits around telling Scott Colbath stories.
Prison Mike

Neil T
Dead chuffed

ZombyWoof wrote:That's the guy.
Mercian: https://youtu.be/vTfmZP6n6JM

Todd Brisket
human interaction simulation

Domo DOMO

RiverOtis

It's very good, though that's obviously dependent on your interest in the subject. I've never been a prog rock aficionado but I was surprised how familiar I was with the artists involved.

A number of pretty big bands (Kansas, for instance) only get a couple of paragraphs, and there's less space devoted to Pink Floyd than I'd have expected*. I don't recall Styx being mentioned at all but they may be in there somewhere. I feel like they came along at the tail end of the prog rock era, and their stuff was definitely commercial and not all that groundbreaking, but they definitely qualify.

Yes, Genesis, King Crimson and ELP all feature heavily.

*Your mileage may vary on this. I suppose some folks wouldn't classify them as prog rock at all. But Dave Weigel obviously does, so I would have thought he'd discuss them more than he did.

scottcolbath
Board Photog & Digitus Me'dius Enthusiast

RiverOtis wrote:and there's less space devoted to Pink Floyd than I'd have expected*

*Your mileage may vary on this. I suppose some folks wouldn't classify them as prog rock at all. But Dave Weigel obviously does, so I would have thought he'd discuss them more than he did.

Pink Floyd surely qualifies. Shit, back when Meddle came out in 1971, Echos consumed an entire side of the album. I think that counts for a lot. And hell, going forward, Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall. All prog rock, in my opinion.

S.C.
Bill Brasky sits around telling Scott Colbath stories.
Prison Mike

Burt
SEG is correct

ZombyWoof wrote:(I read a similar biography of German fighter pilot of WWII who lived through a dozen things that should have killed him, including incarceration in the USSR for years after the war.)

I read that one. Staggering story, especially the haunting horrorshow air battles at the very end of the war. Can't remember the title or author and could probably look it up but I don't need to since I already read it.

ZombyWoof

Erich Hartmann

ZombyWoof

Neil T wrote:
ZombyWoof wrote:That's the guy.
Mercian: https://youtu.be/vTfmZP6n6JM

It's an affected accent then. But still...