Login   Register
 Login    Register
What are you reading?
Stockholmsyndrome
All roads eventually lead to Hitler

Look Evelyn, Duck Dynasty Wiper Blades. We Should Get Them.: A Collection Of New Essays by David Thorne. This book and a couple of others by him. Easy reading and funny stuff. This and one of two others are on kindle unlimited, so free to try if you have it.

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris. Similar easy, humorous reading.

Both authors are a fun way to kill some time.
cantjudge wrote:What kinda benis do you got?

Burt
SEG is correct

On the Move: A Life - Dr. Oliver Sacks Audiobook

Dr. Oliver Sacks is the neurologist depicted in the movie, Awakenings. He wrote millions of words in the case histories of his patients. This book is mostly about himself. It is a striking contrast to the autobiographies of rock star dinosaurs I had been listening to recently. Sacks was brilliant, usually sober and extraordinarily motivated. He was compulsive both at work and play. He would finish rounds on a Friday afternoon, get on his BMW bike and hammer out 1500 miles before returning to work Monday morning. This was in western USA in the early sixties. Sacks was born in the UK and remained a British citizen. He was a national class weightlifter. He wrote relentlessly. Compulsively. A lifetime of writing served him well writing this auto-bio. He expresses well.

It was a great listen. Well, except for about the last 10% when he's no longer engaged in bikes or travel due to health issues. The last part delves into specific areas of current neurology research and Sacks's dispassionate analysis of his own physical decay.

I wish the audiobook had been read by Sacks himself. He was compelling to listen to in interviews. I'm guessing that when asked to read his book aloud, he said, "I don't have time for that."

Burt
SEG is correct

I'm Dying Up Here: Heartbreak and High Times in Stand-Up Comedy's Golden Era - 2010
by William Knoedelseder - Audiobook

Knoedelseder tells the story of the early days of the Comedy Store, and less so, The Improv. He was there at the time as an LA Times reporter. He re-interviews the comics to tell their tales. I was tipped to this book by Marc Maron's interview of Mike Binder, one of the comics featured in the book.

I likey. These comedians are many from my formative years. It was fun listening to the inside scoop of their beginnings. The preeminent issue presented is when the comics organized and called a strike. They wanted Mitzi Shore to pay them at least something instead of nothing. Better than most podcasts, it's a light read that you can stop and start anytime without losing the thread.

lovelinefan
I don't have a dog and I don't like french fries

That sounds really cool. I remember Marc Summers mentioning that strike on his episode of About Last Night, and talking about working at the Comedy Store during that time.
Lovelinefan ain't nothin to fuck with

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

HuellHauser
alright, calm down internet

kill me
beeney wrote:my vagina and asshole felt like it exploded open.

Huell's Haberdashery Hangout Hour: The Podcast

VictoryGin
Hehe - I can't even afford foreplay!

Srsly.

backsack
I like urban kids

Gotta be a joke, right?
1780's Guy wrote:Per usual, sack is correct.

Cherry Pie wrote:You're stupid, Todd.

VictoryGin

Nope. Google it...they even get good reviews.

HuellHauser
alright, calm down internet

beeney wrote:my vagina and asshole felt like it exploded open.

Huell's Haberdashery Hangout Hour: The Podcast

backsack
I like urban kids

Out, out brief candle. Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing. [SAD EMOJI FACE]
1780's Guy wrote:Per usual, sack is correct.

Cherry Pie wrote:You're stupid, Todd.

wojonixon
Lily white and always polite

backsack wrote:Out, out brief candle. Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing. [SAD EMOJI FACE]

2 many werds lol

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

tldr

HowWouldIKnowThat
My bad, didn't even look at what thread we were in

backsack wrote:Out, out brief candle. Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing. [SAD EMOJI FACE]

Can't fix that verse till tyrannical board mods add support for tiny smiling poop pictures.
_me wrote:a guy sucking YOUR dick doesn't mean you're gay

VictoryGin

Not sure if I've mentioned these, but NASA's website has transcripts from all the Apollo missions. I find them fascinating to read...they were recorded on the ship, and you can read everything - the chatter between them, as well as transmissions back and forth to earth. I find them soothing, for some reason. Here's the Apollo 11 technical transcript: http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/mission ... 11_TEC.PDF

Main link - http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/mission ... cripts.htm