Login   Register
 Login    Register
DDFP Ongoing Thread
_me
Revisionist

HuellHauser wrote:It's one of Dave's more baffling statements that he just throws out all the time as accepted fact. I don't get how more guests don't call him out on it.

He gets caught up in stats. But he does not acknowledge that the entire league throws the ball twice as often as they used to. That doesn't mean Tony Romo and Jay Cutler are better than Stabler or Griese.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

HuellHauser
alright, calm down internet

It's strange because that's the complete opposite stance for him regarding someone like Peyton Manning. Phenomenal stats, but doesn't pass the eye test for Dave. He's very inconsistent with what he values in one guy vs another.
SharonNeedles wrote:Why didn't they open it and show us the poop????

Huell's Haberdashery Hangout Hour: The Podcast

_me
Revisionist

HuellHauser wrote:It's strange because that's the complete opposite stance for him regarding someone like Peyton Manning. Phenomenal stats, but doesn't pass the eye test for Dave. He's very inconsistent with what he values in one guy vs another.

Totally. I think Dave's QB takes are almost always wrong. He only cares about physical tools and nothing about how they lead a team. He keeps trying to make Kap and Cutler starters just because they have big arms. Their pea brains and/or laissez faire attitude doesn't concern him at all. Even though every famous QB flop has a big arm but pea brain.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

HuellHauser

_me wrote:
HuellHauser wrote:It's strange because that's the complete opposite stance for him regarding someone like Peyton Manning. Phenomenal stats, but doesn't pass the eye test for Dave. He's very inconsistent with what he values in one guy vs another.

Totally. I think Dave's QB takes are almost always wrong. He only cares about physical tools and nothing about how they lead a team. He keeps trying to make Kap and Cutler starters just because they have big arms. Their pea brains and/or laissez faire attitude doesn't concern him at all. Even though every famous QB flop has a big arm but pea brain.

Maybe it'll click since on last Thursday's, Dave asked Wessling what the biggest difference between Kaep and Wilson was, why Wilson was so much more successful, and Wessling said "decision making."

_me
Revisionist

HuellHauser wrote:
_me wrote:

Maybe it'll click since on last Thursday's, Dave asked Wessling what the biggest difference between Kaep and Wilson was, why Wilson was so much more successful, and Wessling said "decision making."

I was almost going to mention Wilson. I can't remember specifics but my gut says he doesn't rate Wilson very highly. He is always predicting that Seattle is going to take a step back and miss the playoffs.

HuellHauser

HuellHauser wrote:
_me wrote:

It wasn't Wessling, it was the Bleacher Report guy who wrote the Kaep article. Can't be arsed to look it up.

SGreenwell
Evil twin of SGreenbad

HuellHauser wrote:
HuellHauser wrote:
_me wrote:Totally. I think Dave's QB takes are almost always wrong. He only cares about physical tools and nothing about how they lead a team. He keeps trying to make Kap and Cutler starters just because they have big arms. Their pea brains and/or laissez faire attitude doesn't concern him at all. Even though every famous QB flop has a big arm but pea brain.

It wasn't Wessling, it was the Bleacher Report guy who wrote the Kaep article. Can't be arsed to look it up.

Doug Farrar, head scout for Bleacher Report, formerly of Football Outsiders. So, I believe he comes at things from a stats and scouting perspective.
beeney wrote:Different gays for different days.

JGdmn wrote:I think it's pretty safe to err of the side of not hitting your children.

HuellHauser wrote:I think it's pretty safe to err of the side of not painting your cat.

sven

I think Dave keeps bringing up Kaep so he has an excuse to talk about politics. Also the "he brought SF to the super bowl" argument loses some of its impact when the team was a FG away from making the big game the season before with a different QB.

AndySmith
Im not special.

sven wrote:I think Dave keeps bringing up Kaep so he has an excuse to talk about politics. Also the "he brought SF to the super bowl" argument loses some of its impact when the team was a FG away from making the big game the season before with a different QB.

Don't forget they lost in the championship game the next year in a tight game.

I think Dave's point is more that you've seen Kaepernick CAN be successful but teams would rather sign guys who have never done anything. If you can get him right Kaepernick could be a top notch player again where as guys getting a shot are either unknowns or have never shown anything.

fatpony
We don't have GED's in Canada

Excited to listen to the next one. Love Surprise Game Show.
Clap if you like my work.

thebarryman

Random DDFP thoughts...

Really enjoying the off-season DDFP pods, they feel a little looser and not overly produced, which is where Dameshek really shines. Although I do miss Ike and MJD, who are the in-season DDFP MVPs (particularly Ike, who is fucking hilarious).

This may be a controversial take, but I'm not at all a fan of the Matt Money/Cynthia combo. Not really a fan of either of them individually, and combined...not my cup of tea. I was glad when Elliot Harrison came back on to talk Romo. It seems to me that Shek favors Money, but I prefer EH in the Red Challenge Flag slot.

It seems like Emma VP does banner work behind the scenes but I have to admit that I miss Black Tie. It's nice to have the producer on the show play the pro wrestling heel, as opposed to the all-American babyface - just makes for more compelling radio when the guests have the green light to shit all over the producer, as opposed to having to praise their comedy bits and songwriting abilities (which in Emma VP's case are legitimately strong).

When is David Feeney coming on the show????

sven

I'm with you. EH+HH and Ike+MJD episodes every week would be ideal. I've always been a Black Tie apologist and I thought his stupid bits like Elimination Chamber and the Shout Out were funnier than attempting comedy in earnest like Emma does. The food game preview thing was clever but never really made me laugh. Also I think some of the recurring takes are getting a little tired. "How is Kaep not on a team when there are no good QBs in the NFL" seems to come up every episode. Meanwhile, he hasn't really talked about any of the major offseason moves. As for Feeney I wish Shek wouldn't tease us like that if his appearance isn't a sure thing.

also I think EH stopped coming on for scheduling reasons, not because Dave prefers someone else
Last edited by sven on April 22nd, 2017, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HowWouldIKnowThat
My bad, didn't even look at what thread we were in

thebarryman wrote:This may be a controversial take, but I'm not at all a fan of the Matt Money/Cynthia combo. Not really a fan of either of them individually, and combined...not my cup of tea. I was glad when Elliot Harrison came back on to talk Romo. It seems to me that Shek favors Money, but I prefer EH in the Red Challenge Flag slot.

It seems like Emma VP does banner work behind the scenes but I have to admit that I miss Black Tie. It's nice to have the producer on the show play the pro wrestling heel, as opposed to the all-American babyface - just makes for more compelling radio when the guests have the green light to shit all over the producer, as opposed to having to praise their comedy bits and songwriting abilities (which in Emma VP's case are legitimately strong).

When is David Feeney coming on the show????

I like Cynthia, and I'd always liked Money in small doses, but having him as a regular for long stretches has worn on me. Can't pinpoint what it is, but his shows are low priority for me.

You and Sven both make good points about the producers. I think ideally \you'd have a black-tie-esque heel as sort of an on air producer to be the punching bag, and an Emma to make some pages.

thebarryman

Ask and ye shall receive...banner Q&A episode with Ike and MJD.

HuellHauser

Haven't listened, is this a bonus or is it an early drop of Tuesday's episode?