Login   Register
 Login    Register
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
Okie Dokie
oh gawd he's back

I've just gotten into this podcast, and I think it's pretty amazing. It's basically like listening to the audio of a really well done history special from BBC or PBS, but it's more entertaining while also being more in depth than any of those shows I can recall off the top of my head.
Anyone else a fan?

Burt
SEG is correct

Count me in. I've listented to all, and have forwarded the rss to my nephew who is a history major. Very high quality pod.

Okie Dokie
oh gawd he's back

Did he give any feedback? I would imagine that a lot of the stuff he goes into sticks pretty closely to the well known narrative on a given area. I'm no history buff, but I was pretty familiar with everything in Thor's Angel's, but I still thought it was presented brilliantly.

Burt
SEG is correct

JSN wrote:Did he give any feedback?

No, but he tends to not give feedback on anything.
I like the way Carlin synthesizes events across history to illustrate a common theme. My history courses were mostly linear descriptions of events.

Who Posts This Shit

Burt wrote:No, but he tends to not give feedback on anything.
I like the way Carlin synthesizes events across history to illustrate a common theme. My history courses were mostly linear descriptions of events.

He's trying to emulate the old style historians who did tie things together w/ a narrative, like his boy Will Durant.
Obv it's the bee's knees

BTL

New episode is up. 3+ hour kickoff to a new series about WW1. Fuck yeah!

VictoryGin
Hehe - I can't even afford foreplay!

Just finished listening to it. Not a bad ep, though a lot of it was stuff I learned in high school. I cringe every time he pronounces the word "again" - I've never heard anyone say it his way - "A GAIN"."

Think he'll do a WWII follow up ep?
backsack wrote:You're really fucking annoying today.
backsack wrote:Shut the fuck up already.
JustAnotherMike wrote:"We are doing the best we can with the resources that we have"

Burt
SEG is correct

This is next in my queue. Hardcore history may be, for now at least, the highest and best use of the podcast medium. I hope he clears things up for me re WWI. It seems no matter how many times I hear the narrative there are too many players for me to keep it all straight.

BTL

I bet he'll switch gears after this one. It seems like the temptation for anyone producing history content is to do everything on WW2. Like how the History Channel was known as the Hitler Channel before they started making bigfoot hunter reality shows. It's probably hard for him to find narratives that are doable within his audiobook confines too. His downfall of the Roman Republic must have been fuck 20 hours. Imagine trying to condense something like The rise and Fall of the Third Reich into an audiobook. It would probably be 80 hours minimum and he'd still be working on it for a decade.

VictoryGin
Hehe - I can't even afford foreplay!

Burt wrote:This is next in my queue. Hardcore history may be, for now at least, the highest and best use of the podcast medium. I hope he clears things up for me re WWI. It seems no matter how many times I hear the narrative there are too many players for me to keep it all straight.

He does - he really does. It's amazing how he can take a very complex historical event and couch it in a way one can understand, even if they are driving/doing dishes/making dinner while listening. Even though I had heard much of it before, his overall presentation is what makes it great.

My favorite episode is "Prophets of Doom" with Lutherism and the whole anabaptist thing...an incredibly interesting story I had never heard.
backsack wrote:You're really fucking annoying today.
backsack wrote:Shut the fuck up already.
JustAnotherMike wrote:"We are doing the best we can with the resources that we have"

Cunnilingus
shitty attitude crusader

i listened to wrath of khans and death throes of roman empire...both good
AndySmith wrote:Maybe we'll get lucky and some nutbag will put a bullet in him (Trump).

spatchcock
Jerk off party? Lets do this.

Been trying to find a new thing to listen to for ages so just started Wrath of the Khans. Thoroughly interesting but I'm having a little trouble with his pacing. Getting used to it though.
2nd Best Oral Receiver wrote:
Knuckles Goldberg wrote:You guys can judge all you want, but I doubt I'm the only one here who's had 5 hot dogs

You had a burger first

Okie Dokie
oh gawd he's back

Cunnilingus wrote:i listened to wrath of khans and death throes of roman empire...both good
Have you heard Ghosts of the Ostfront and the Punic Wars? I think those are his other big series. Both are great.

Cunnilingus
shitty attitude crusader

no i just downloaded recipe for armageddon but havent listened yet...its next on my list to hear...i bounce around on his stuff based on the title
AndySmith wrote:Maybe we'll get lucky and some nutbag will put a bullet in him (Trump).

WhelmedButNotOverly
known to bed down those of lesser intelligence

Okie Dokie wrote:
Cunnilingus wrote:i listened to wrath of khans and death throes of roman empire...both good
Have you heard Ghosts of the Ostfront?

One thousand times Yes!!! I think it was a four parter but it was absolute greatness.
Brought to you by the Talented Mr. Ripley......minus the homicidal, homoerotic, sociopathic, recidivism.