Login   Register
 Login    Register
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
wojonixon
Lily white and always polite

VictoryGin wrote:New episode up...it's a real snoozer imo and kind of a repeat. He goes into ancient ancient history, of which I'm not a huge fan. He did an episode that is pretty much a copy of this a while back (Judgment at Niveh (sp) I think).

I really enjoyed the WWI and Ghosts of the Ostfront. Wish he'd do something a little more current again...even middle ages and suchlike. The wicked old stuff is just a jumble of names and places to me, and you wonder how much is completely inaccurate.

Funny, I prefer the ancient stuff. Is it just me or did he soften his pronunciation of "again"?
johnsok0 wrote:Traci's a dirty ho

VictoryGin
Hehe - I can't even afford foreplay!

People on reddit said he sounded sick/gravely.
backsack wrote:You're really fucking annoying today.
backsack wrote:Shut the fuck up already.
JustAnotherMike wrote:"We are doing the best we can with the resources that we have"

Heinrich_Victory
look Ma, no lube!

Listening to this ep now. Love it. I get what Veeg is saying about the ancient names and shit but just hearing about the brutality of those times always fascinates me. Also, lol at the battle stopping and a truce being had because of a solar eclipse.

VictoryGin

Allegedly... See, we don't know if that's even true. That's part of what aggravates me about these types of episodes.
JustAnotherMike wrote:"We are doing the best we can with the resources that we have"

Okie Dokie
oh gawd he's back

I didn't think this last episode of the world war 1 arc were his strongest work. It seems like he hasn't been as successful lately as he was in the last of forging the narrative first and foremost.

Burt
SEG is correct

In the most recent "Common Sense," Carlin once agin fantasizes about how popular a TV forum discussion would be with smart and influential people discussing potential solutions to the problems of our time. Dan Carlin is a fine podcaster, but this is a massive miscalculation of what people want to watch on TV.

VictoryGin

Yeah, he did repeat himself again. And a-gain. And a-gain.

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

Burt wrote:I did hear the latest Common Sense. The other guy put out more words than Carlin by about a 5-1 ratio. Most of those words were just time filling blibber blabber. I agree with most of what Carlin's opinions on Common Sense. Not all. But at least he is clear and succinct.

they both put out a whole bunch of words. i was trying to track which solutions they were offering. and it just sounded like circle jerk of agreeing with each other but nothing that sounded like "here is what should be done".
but i should have gotten on Dan Carlin earlier. seems like he puts some thought into his thoughts.

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

I don't catch a-gain much at 1.5x, but "yours truly here" always sticks out for me.

Eta. Never mind. I hear it all the time now

VictoryGin

Yeah, you can't unhear it after you pick it up. In his last Common Sense, he toned it down a bit...though he sounded really down in general during that episode - maybe he had a cold or something.

Burt
SEG is correct

Most recent ep, Carlin speaks to the single issue on which he will actually take a stand. Personal privacy. Fine. I agree with him.

He also speaks to the opening on the Supreme Court and says that were the parties reversed, Democrats would behave exactly the same as obstructionist Republicans. There is absolutely no historic evidence to support that assertion. It is lazy Luke Russert style "both sides do it" thinking. Dan "Above it All" Carlin needs to read the news and grow a pair.

_me
Revisionist

Burt wrote:Most recent ep, Carlin speaks to the single issue on which he will actually take a stand. Personal privacy. Fine. I agree with him.

He also speaks to the opening on the Supreme Court and says that were the parties reversed, Democrats would behave exactly the same as obstructionist Republicans. There is absolutely no historic evidence to support that assertion. It is lazy Luke Russert style "both sides do it" thinking. Dan "Above it All" Carlin needs to read the news and grow a pair.

That made me mad too. He just states it like it is obviously true even when we just had a GOP president nominating 2 right-wing justices and having them confirmed by the Democrats in the Senate. Both Alito and Roberts could have been filibustered by the Democrats if "both sides do it".
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

VictoryGin

It's one of his big talking points...both sides are essentially the same. He's not that far off IMO, but I see your point.

I'd love to listen, but iPod still not working right

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

VictoryGin wrote:It's one of his big talking points...both sides are essentially the same. He's not that far off IMO, but I see your point.

I'd love to listen, but iPod still not working right

How are you posting on the board?
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

Neil T wrote:Ow, my balls are on fire. etc.

VictoryGin

I don't have an iPhone - I'm a droid man. My iPod is wot that is broken.