Login   Register
 Login    Register
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
Complaint Dept.
Ain't nobody got No Time for that

I've been listening to his WW l shows the past few weeks (Blueprint for Armageddon) and enjoying them quite a bit. But I wish he'd stop pronouncing the word "again" as "ah-gee-in" ... it bumps me every time.

ZombyWoof
Whoa, let's stop with the armchair psychoanalysis

phpBB [video]
Holder of Genuine Get Out of Jerk Free Card

VictoryGin
Hehe - I can't even afford foreplay!

Complaint Dept. wrote:I've been listening to his WW l shows the past few weeks (Blueprint for Armageddon) and enjoying them quite a bit. But I wish he'd stop pronouncing the word "again" as "ah-gee-in" ... it bumps me every time.

Totally agree...it's not just the pronunciation, it's also his favorite word.
backsack wrote:You're really fucking annoying today.
backsack wrote:Shut the fuck up already.
JustAnotherMike wrote:"We are doing the best we can with the resources that we have"

Burt
SEG is correct

On the most recent Late Show podcast, there is some discussion about other pods. Hardcore History comes up and Colbert does his imitation of Dan Carlin:
https://soundcloud.com/pocketa/stephen

VictoryGin

Haha - I'm glad I'm not the only one who picks up on the way he says "again" over and over and over and over and over. Also - "a-gain."**

Did you listen to the latest Common Sense? That other guy started off sounding good, but I kinda think Dan blew him away. He (other guy) apparently thinks we need to be the police of the world. My favrid part was when other guy said something about a state seceding, and Dan basically said, "Good! Let them go! If they don't want to be here, we don't need 'em"

**ETA: Scrolling above, I may have brought this up before. Maybe.
JustAnotherMike wrote:"We are doing the best we can with the resources that we have"

Burt
SEG is correct

I did hear the latest Common Sense. The other guy put out more words than Carlin by about a 5-1 ratio. Most of those words were just time filling blibber blabber. I agree with most of what Carlin's opinions on Common Sense. Not all. But at least he is clear and succinct.

VictoryGin

Dan is very good at succinct - even on the fly like that. This was the first time I heard him "unscripted" that I can recall, and it sounded the same as his show.

I'd like to meet him - seems like a really interesting guy to have a beer with. I tried getting into his message board, but there are one or two VERY dominant personalities and they're not particularly welcoming. If you ever mosey over there, there's this one guy with (what I think are) RCMP boots as his av. He's a big meanie head.

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

Complaint Dept. wrote:I've been listening to his WW l shows the past few weeks (Blueprint for Armageddon) and enjoying them quite a bit. But I wish he'd stop pronouncing the word "again" as "ah-gee-in" ... it bumps me every time.

Oh man, I've gotten up to episode V since the beginning of the week. Enjoying it muchly. Every time he says "ah-gee-in", I reapeat it and chuckle. It's hard to say it that way. Weird

I had no idea this show was this old.
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

Neil T wrote:Ow, my balls are on fire. etc.

Burt
SEG is correct

OK, so this is about Carlin's Common Sense, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread and mebbe go to hell.
In the most recent "Common Sense" pod, Carlin presents a dispassionate long term perspective on immigration globally, and today in the US. It is good stuff. But really, I only bring it up as an excuse to show this pic I ripped from a facebook post.
http://traffic.libsyn.com/dancarlin/cswdcc96.mp3

VictoryGin

The great lakes sure looked a lot different back then.

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

colorado exploded in population in the last 15 years, so a popular bumper sticker is "Native" or "Colorado Native" as in they were either born in the state or got here before you.
you can see one every time you get on the road, makes me wanna grab a sharpie and add "which tribe?"

HuellHauser
alright, calm down internet

Did the Natives have immigration laws?
SharonNeedles wrote:Why didn't they open it and show us the poop????

Huell's Haberdashery Hangout Hour: The Podcast

Burt
SEG is correct

HuellHauser wrote:Did the Natives have immigration laws?

No. They mostly welcomed immigrants. See: Thanksgiving

VictoryGin

New episode up...it's a real snoozer imo and kind of a repeat. He goes into ancient ancient history, of which I'm not a huge fan. He did an episode that is pretty much a copy of this a while back (Judgment at Niveh (sp) I think).

I really enjoyed the WWI and Ghosts of the Ostfront. Wish he'd do something a little more current again...even middle ages and suchlike. The wicked old stuff is just a jumble of names and places to me, and you wonder how much is completely inaccurate.

JGdmn
Hypocritical Singing Carpenter

I like the older ones much much more.