Login   Register
 Login    Register
AfterPod: The Podcast AfterShow
Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

Burt wrote:
Neil T wrote:AP Mar 04, 2016: But I Only Hired The Scumbags… (Planet Money: Anatomy Of A Scam)

Those boiler room scammers deserve abject condemnation and prosecution. If they keep popping back up, prosecute and jail more of them. Release a drug offender from prison to make room for each one of these thieves. Also, the former call center worker they had in studio sounded like an unrepentant sociopath.

PP, saying that that the animals are not con artists takes some pretty fancy tap dancing. Cognitive dissonance perhaps?

I listened to that pod when it came out and had the same reaction Neil did.

It was pretty funny listening to PP go from "It's not really a scam per se" to "ok yeah it's a little scammy" as Neil wore him down.

Classic Paul.

Glad you added the little addendum at the end tho. :D
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

Dont Tell Ray wrote:I also am a normal person

Pascal's Pager
aka: the pretentious bigmouth

I don't recall how clearly I articulated this, but the dudes featured on that pod are definitely scumbags.

I tend to think of a "scam" as something that takes your money and gives you nothing in return, rather than something that overstates its value. I feel almost everything ever sold can be described that way.

However, I've since looked up the definition of scam, and it includes mere "deception," so by that metric, this certainly qualifies.
Nathan Bateman wrote:After a long day of Turing tests, you gotta unwind.

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

Had to look that one up huh?
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

Dont Tell Ray wrote:I also am a normal person

Pascal's Pager

Burt
SEG is correct

Burt wrote:
Neil T wrote:AP Mar 04, 2016: But I Only Hired The Scumbags… (Planet Money: Anatomy Of A Scam)

Those boiler room scammers deserve abject condemnation and prosecution. If they keep popping back up, prosecute and jail more of them. Release a drug offender from prison to make room for each one of these thieves. Also, the former call center worker they had in studio sounded like an unrepentant sociopath.

PP, saying that that the animals are not con artists takes some pretty fancy tap dancing. Cognitive dissonance perhaps?

I'm still pissed about this. Those phone room predators target people who want to work. Not people who want to make false disability claims. Not people who want to make false unemployment claims. People looking for work. To do something productive. And those motherfuckers do whatever it takes to drain off all their mark's assets. Special place in hell.

appleshampoo
pushyn00b

Pascal's Pager wrote:Image

From the last two AP eps, I have learned that PP is in favor of sexual assault and scamming people out of their money. For shame, Paul!
Hypermotard wrote:I regret that ask.

Pascal's Pager

Lol

Neil T
Dead chuffed

PP: "Blah blah don't need no stinkin' Cloud backups! Ransomware can't touch dis!"

AHA! http://www.wired.com/2016/03/hack-brief ... irst-time/

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

Neil is the prime suspect it seems

Neil T
Dead chuffed

Writes OXS COCOA XCODES

TIPPY TAP TAP TAP TAP!

Neil T
Dead chuffed

AfterPod Mar 10, 2016: National Lampoon’s Commie Vacation
(Adam Carolla Show: Bill Engvall and Jo Koy)

http://afterpod.net/commie-vacation

Apologies for the occasional poor quality audio on this recording, this is being investigated!

Opening the show, Neil is curious about a potential PodcastOne takeover and some Koy Pond speculation. After drooling over the delights of the Road Hard banquet, Neil and Paul go on National Lampoon’s Commie Vacation, taking a detour via Fargo and end up improvising on Tina Fey’s Sisters movie.

Two old farts then complain about kids today who can’t walk through the snow. Uphill.
Paul takes a long look in his vanity mirror, plays with his hair and weighs up beautiful hair vs. working wiener.

Clodhopper Carolla is pitched against Workhorse Kimmel and Paul analyses the happily married Carollas. To close the show, Paul ponders What Would Mike Ditka Do? & What Is A Ghetto?

Help support AfterPod by clicking through and bookmarking http://afterpod.net/amazon

Music: bensound.com

PlaysByEar
Paul Shaffer Swagger Jacker

"or if you hate Amazon" made me chuckle.

Harmony_Keane

Neil T wrote:AfterPod Feb 29, 2016: What Would Ken$talk Do? (Radiolab: Darkode)

http://afterpod.net/what-would-kenstalk-do

The original show we listened to (recommended): http://www.radiolab.org/story/darkode/

Opening the show, Neil thinks his podcatching app is broken and he bangs his head against the CryptoWall. There’s a look at the polite business of Ransomware around the world and the most dangerous town on the internet.

phpBB [video]

Paul and Neil debate the merits of cloud backup — Paul has Fappening doubts. Bitcoin Infiltration “What If…” scenarios are posited and compared with the Apple vs. FBI case.
After looking behind the sofa cushions for that hard drive, and thinking about cashing in his lottery ticket, Neil reminisces about his chum’s TV hacking past.

phpBB [video]

To close the show, Neil and Paul listen with deep reverence to Listener Ken[Stalk]‘s voicemail and then discuss What Would Ken/Paul/Neil Do?

Help support AfterPod by clicking through and bookmarking http://afterpod.net/amazon

Just listened to this one this morning while waiting to get my car worked on. Yikes, scared me! Although I doubt I would pay the ransom. I don't have anything that vital in my files, and every few months I just copy photos and docs (what do I even have but my ebay store sales receipts and my kid's school newsletters ha ha) onto DVD. So what if I lose a month's worth of those. Those ransomers would be pretty disappointed in the non-juicy stuff they find. :P I'd go ahead and format the hard drive and start anew.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

Copying to DVD is probably the safest thing you can do under the threat of ransomware!

Assuming that's multiple copies and you're not over-writing the same DVD-RW...

You may want to store one of those DVDs at a friend or relative's house on occasion, if you want to be super safe.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

AfterPod Mar 11, 2016: Adam Curtis vs. Paul The Ostrich
(Serial Season Two Episode 9 — Trade Secrets)

http://afterpod.net/adam-curtis-vs-paul-the-ostrich

Apologies for the occasional poor quality audio on this recording, this is being investigated!

Paul and Neil are bored, despite the comedy stylings of Sara Koenig.
After waking from their slumber, they pit a number of concepts against each other, including:
Military action in Japan vs. Ass-ghanistan
The Taliban vs. The IRA
Terrorists vs. Freedom Fighters (Wolverines!)
Saudia Arabia vs. Afghanistan and Iraq
Afghanistan vs. Vietnam
Terrorism in Kenya vs. The USA
Adam Curtis vs. Paul The Ostrich

phpBB [video]