Login   Register
 Login    Register
Penn's Sunday School
Neil T
Dead chuffed

tardbasket wrote:Wasn't Alison #1 last week? I think that's better than #11.

I only look at the episode charts, because most of the other charts are bullshit.
Alison was never #1 in the episode charts. The other charts are about downloads + comments + new subs, so they are not really charts, they are closer to "what's trending" on Twitter.
What you end up with on those bullshit charts is a lot of new podcasts. Which is what Apple want -- they want you to subscribe to new podcasts.
She's a dear, dear, dear, dear, dear, friend, but if you look at Miss Movies' new podcast, it made a big splash when it first came out and was at or near the the top of the Film and TV "chart".
But if you now look at the Film and TV episodes chart, even audio-only, I can't see hers in the Top 200.
That's not taking anything away from her show, it's very good, but it's not going to worry Kevin Smith and Kevin Pollak, who sit on the top of that chart most weeks.
Last edited by Neil T on February 23rd, 2012, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

Todd Brisket
human interaction simulation

neilt0 wrote:I only look at the episode charts, because most of the other charts are bullshit.
Alison was never #1 in the episode charts. The other charts are about downloads + comments + new subs, so they are not really charts, they are closer to "what's trending" on Twitter.
What you end up with on those bullshit charts is a lot of new podcasts. Which is what Apple want -- they want you to subscribe to new podcasts.
She's a dear, dear, dear, dear, dear, friend, but if you look at Miss Movies' new podcast, it made a big splash when it first came out and was at or near the the top of the Film and TV "chart".
But if you now look at the Film and TV episodes chart, even audio-only, I can't see hers in the Top 200.
That's not taking anything away from her show, it's very good, but it's not going to worry Kevin Smith and Kevin Pollak, who sit on the top of that chart most weeks.

Nice analysis. Do you remember where Alison's premier episode came in at?

Neil T
Dead chuffed

tardbasket wrote:Nice analysis. Do you remember where Alison's premier episode came in at?

It was pretty high, but below Adam's, I think. Higher than Penn is currently, but I don't know how often Apple update the chart -- it definitely fluctuates depending on what day of the week it is.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

http://www.planetjh.com/news/A_108220.aspx
".... JH Weekly: You have plenty going on and then you have an entire career with Teller. Why launch a podcast now?
Penn Jillette: I’ve been thinking about doing a podcast for a while. I wanted to do a show called Penn’s Sunday School forever. I wanted to do it once a week. And, I wanted to do it on Sunday. I wanted it to have at the root a feeling of community. I wanted to talk about issues that other people consider to be spiritual.
What was stopping me was not doing it; inertia. And, working Celebrity Apprentice and working with Adam Carolla, he was talking about doing his podcast. He spent a few years and got all the shit work out of the way. It was really Adam Carolla who made me go, “Now I can do that because Adam has done all the work I don’t want to do.”
JH Weekly: In what sense? Are you using Adam Carolla’s equipment or studio?
Jillette: I am not using his studio at all. But he knows how to post [podcasts] on all eight sites you are supposed to post on. He also knows how you deal with insurance and omissions, how to get advertisers and have an advertising staff and all of that stuff. I believe I could figure it out. I was planning to figure it out. But Adam saying, “I’ve already done this, come on board,” made the timing really good.
Also, going on Adam’s network means that Adam talks about it and there is X number of downloads and hits when you are part of Adam’s machine. ..."

mpa
Heavyset Woman of Color

Penn should have just hired the guy from the mean streets of Canada that plays manly catch a rubber ball in a net game.

Burt
SEG is correct

Penn's Sunday School is a worthy listen this week. On the show is magician/comedian Mac King. Between him and Jillette, funny and interesting stories are told. No libertarian stuff in this one. A good substitute this week for Tooch and Hooch* since Howard is absent.

http://acedl.noxsolutions.com/ace/_Penn.14.05.25.SS.mp3

*Two Charted and Who Charted.

subject117

It seems so weird having Earwolf podcasts mentioned on this forum. And on the Penn's Sunday School section, which I had no idea existed until just now, no less. Anyway, yes, it's a good PSS, but I like pretty much every episode. As for Who'ch' and Two'ch', as I write them, if you've listened to any of the Armen episodes, go ahead and listen to this one, 182 w/Matt Besser. It's Armen's last episode and Besser gives him a great sendoff, pretty much questioning his every sentence, or lack thereof.

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

This forum has all the things to discuss. And when it doesn't, we make it so.
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

appleshampoo wrote:"The Goodfellas of figure skating"...Uhhh..okay.

Burt
SEG is correct

subject117 wrote:... if you've listened to any of the Armen episodes, go ahead and listen to this one, 182 w/Matt Besser. It's Armen's last episode and Besser gives him a great sendoff, pretty much questioning his every sentence, or lack thereof.

So I have heard! D/L'd and in my queue.

jovialjackee
Net Wt. 12 OZ (340g)

subject117 wrote:It seems so weird having Earwolf podcasts mentioned on this forum. And on the Penn's Sunday School section, which I had no idea existed until just now, no less. Anyway, yes, it's a good PSS, but I like pretty much every episode. As for Who'ch' and Two'ch', as I write them, if you've listened to any of the Armen episodes, go ahead and listen to this one, 182 w/Matt Besser. It's Armen's last episode and Besser gives him a great sendoff, pretty much questioning his every sentence, or lack thereof.

There is a whole "Podcast Pandemonium" section here: viewforum.php?f=63

And an Earwolf-specific thread here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=21742&start=450, where we sang the praises of the Matt Besser ep'sode. 8)

Burt
SEG is correct

I'm bumping this because Penn's Sunday School (despite SEG's wonder that it still exists) is by far the best pod on the Carolla "network." As I expected from the very beginning of this pod, about 15% of Gillette's libertarian philosophy is wrong headed sanctimonious bullshit. But he is well read in general, well read in current events and a member of the reality based community. I respect his perspective. Actually, there usually is not a whole lot of philoso-pod each week. Mostly it's Penn sitting down with a couple of his Vegas show-biz buds shooting the shit, telling tales of past and present. He has a guest every blue moon. This week Penn tells a sweet tale of taking his fam to the go-cart track. As he tells it, the littlest Penn layed down a remarkable track speed record.

I do not believe the Carolla crew are in any way involved with the production of this podcast.

This weeks ep-'sode: http://acedl.noxsolutions.com/ace/_Penn.14.01.04.SS.mp3

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

why is it still on Ace networks?

do they share some ad moneys?

Burt
SEG is correct

Dont Tell Ray wrote:why is it still on Ace networks?

do they share some ad moneys?

That's what I'd guess. That and being tied via website with Carolla for publicity. Lax might tell us.

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

it seemed very strange to me from the start. he doesn't have that much visibility or publicity on Ace website, and has his own huge following.
he was not a guest in forever. perhaps a remnant of some drunken promise after Celeb Apprentice.