Login   Register
 Login    Register
Server Nerds Thread
appleshampoo
pushyn00b

Dont Tell Ray wrote:Finally finished wiring my "home network".

DSL via PowerLines and Coaxial..

Currently backing up 500GB folder, says it will be done in 5 days

Gonna need a block diagram so I can fully grock your setup.
Hypermotard wrote:I regret that ask.

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

oofff. done copying the initial back up of 1.5 TB datas over my rickety power-coaxial network.
on and off it took about 3-4 weeks

Neil T
Dead chuffed

Shit, just run ethernet as a one-off! Shoulda taken 5 to 10 hours max, Broseph!

Did you rsync?

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

i did sync toy for now, i have another 2-3 pcs to dump, i might just run ad-hoc in the same room, if FreeNas is easy that way

Der Lobo
Yall loosers

TIL that updating your PC bios might have unexpected side effects. As in, your windows no longer boots. For some reason, the SATA type for the boot drive went from AHCI to IDE. And Windows DOES NOT LIKE THAT! Fortunately changing it back to AHCI in the bios made it all worky worky again.

appleshampoo
pushyn00b

Der Lobo wrote:TIL that updating your PC bios might have unexpected side effects. As in, your windows no longer boots. For some reason, the SATA type for the boot drive went from AHCI to IDE. And Windows DOES NOT LIKE THAT! Fortunately changing it back to AHCI in the bios made it all worky worky again.

Scary moment. Remain calm under pressure. Nailed it!
Hypermotard wrote:I regret that ask.

Der Lobo
Yall loosers

appleshampoo wrote:
Der Lobo wrote:TIL that updating your PC bios might have unexpected side effects. As in, your windows no longer boots. For some reason, the SATA type for the boot drive went from AHCI to IDE. And Windows DOES NOT LIKE THAT! Fortunately changing it back to AHCI in the bios made it all worky worky again.

Scary moment. Remain calm under pressure. Nailed it!

Yeah, definitely started sweating! :) but before I did anything crazy, I went to the interwebs for the rescue.

Burt
SEG is correct

What upgrades do you get with new MB BIOS?

Der Lobo
Yall loosers

Burt wrote:What upgrades do you get with new MB BIOS?

I have the weird effect that every once in a while a reboot will be stuck on the bios logo. And I have to hard reset to boot again. Which is fine if I'm sitting in front of the PC but really annoying if I reboot remotely or e.g. a windows update reboots the box.

My hope is the newer bios will reboot fine. Time will tell ...

Burt
SEG is correct

Der Lobo wrote:
Burt wrote:What upgrades do you get with new MB BIOS?

I have the weird effect that every once in a while a reboot will be stuck on the bios logo. And I have to hard reset to boot again. Which is fine if I'm sitting in front of the PC but really annoying if I reboot remotely or e.g. a windows update reboots the box.

My hope is the newer bios will reboot fine. Time will tell ...

Coo. I'm surprised you don't disable the BIOS logo. Not that it was the problem, but I always disable it 'cuz I'd rather see boot info instead of an advertisement. Won't matter after I upgrade to SSD. All that boot info will fly by so fast only a droid could take it in.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

Latest Backblaze hard drive reliability report: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-dri ... y-q4-2015/

Those ST4000DM000s they have 30,000 of are cheap as chips. I have one in my server that's been running for 2.5 years with no errors yet.

Neil T
Dead chuffed

Appropriate to today's AfterPod, one of the 4TB Hitachi 7200rpm drives in my server died today -- disk4, probably the least used of all the drives.

According to my invoice, there's 6 months left of the 3 year warranty. I've raised a case with Hitachi support to amend the warranty start date (their records only record the "born" date of Dec 2012).

I've copied important data from the (simulated) drive and made a note of the other data on there in case it needs to be reconstructed.

Der Lobo
Yall loosers

Ouch. Hope they respect the warranty .

Did it give any indication it was on its way out? Did you setup any of the new fance smart monitoring and notification unraid has now?

Neil T
Dead chuffed

Nope. It just decided to die AFAICT.

It looks like l installed it, filled it with data and apart from monthly parity checks, it'd been hardly used.
It died during this month's parity check - which is what they are for, of course!

Neil T
Dead chuffed

Seems like Hitachi are playing ball. They just emailed asking for invoice and other info. I'm going to run the DFT on it first on another machine. If it even spins up.