Login   Register
 Login    Register
The Adam and Dr Drew Show: Post-October 13, 2013 Generic Thread
HowWouldIKnowThat
My bad, didn't even look at what thread we were in

AndySmith wrote:
Burt wrote:
AndySmith wrote:One of my favorite words is quixotic.

"X" doesn't get used enough. It should be in words like, "frixion and dixion." It should be replaced by "z" in Xavier or Xander. English is fucked up, man.

My son is 5 so he's learning letters and basic spelling stuff. It really drives home that there are basically no binding rules of English.

It's crazy, you teach them all the phonics stuff, and then basically have to explain to them that those don't apply on basically every word.

AndySmith
Im not special.

HowWouldIKnowThat wrote:
AndySmith wrote:
Burt wrote:"X" doesn't get used enough. It should be in words like, "frixion and dixion." It should be replaced by "z" in Xavier or Xander. English is fucked up, man.

My son is 5 so he's learning letters and basic spelling stuff. It really drives home that there are basically no binding rules of English.

It's crazy, you teach them all the phonics stuff, and then basically have to explain to them that those don't apply on basically every word.

Yeah, I can't wait to try to explain that through, rough, plough and dough don't rhyme.

Hypermotard
You done been Hypmotized

Ep. 638

They are taking a call from a guy with a heart condition who has to regularly go to the hospital to get "cardioverted". Drew explains the difference between defibrillation and cardioversion and Adam comes up with "auto-erotic-defibrillation". Was funny.
If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.

Neil T wrote:Ow, my balls are on fire. etc.

wco81

Ep. 641 - they take on the Al Gore film and his personal energy usage.

Drew cites 21 times average that has been passed around by conservative sources but not substantiated:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/gorehome.asp

Nearly identical claims were published in August 2017 — after the release of An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power, Gore’s follow-up to his Oscar-winning 2006 documentary — this time under the misleading headline “Al Gore’s Home Devours 34 Times More Electricity Than Average U.S. Household.”

Drew Johnson, a senior fellow at the National Center for Public Policy Research, a conservative think tank, wrote the August 2017 piece. (Johnson appears to have been behind the 2007 claims about Gore’s energy use as well.) In that article, he cited his own report for National Center for Public Policy Research (without making it clear that he authored the report), in which he found that Gore’s electricity bill for September 2016 was 34 times more than the national average. However, Johnson, as well as other sources that replicated his claims — including the National Center for Public Policy Research’s own press release — implied in the headlines or bodies of their articles that Gore’s home “consistently devoured” 34 times more energy than the average home, which was not the case: that figure was based on estimates for a single month during the previous year, and that single month was August, a time of the year when energy usage typically spikes due high mid-summer temperatures.

When we asked about the discrepancy in the headline of his article (““Al Gore’s Home Devours 34 Times More Electricity Than Average U.S. Household”), Johnson told us (emphasis ours):

The title I turned in to the Daily Caller for the column/op-ed was “Al Gore’s Home Devours Up to 34 Times More Electricity than an Average U.S. Household, Hypocritically Issues Call to Reduce Energy Consumption in New Film.” My goal was to indicate that, at its highest, Gore’s home energy usage spikes to 34X that of the typical American household (as the NCPPR paper suggests). It is not accurate that Gore’s home consistently uses 34X the national average — in the past year, Gore’s home consumed 21.35X the national average. I even rounded down to 21.3X in everything I wrote to be as fair and as bulletproof as possible — that’s why I went about so thoroughly discussing the makeup of the power he receives at his home and his donations to the Green Power Switch program, so there would be no confusion on those issues when it came to his power bill costs and his “100% renewable” claim.”

I don’t believe the DC title intentionally misrepresented the report. I just gave an unwieldy title that needed to be trimmed down. And although I wish there was a qualifier (“up to”, “as much as”, “in one month”), it was based off of a legitimate number.

HowWouldIKnowThat

It sounds liked Snopes debunked 34 and accepted 21?

wco81

No Drew Johnson did.

Anyways, it's interesting that that's the first thing Dr. Drew went to. Don't like the message, attack the messenger.

Dont Tell Ray
world's greatest no-goodnik

Again I can't fathom idea of scientific knowledge becoming a matter of every day personal opinion.. It's in the same line as believing adding lead to gasoline is not polluting, autism pet vaccines and earth being flat.

HowWouldIKnowThat

wco81 wrote:No Drew Johnson did.

Anyways, it's interesting that that's the first thing Dr. Drew went to. Don't like the message, attack the messenger.

You linked snopes and then quoted that...Did they refute it later in a part you didn't quote?

crabbyjan

I'd watch a tv show (in development) of Dr Drew browbeating interns.