Login   Register
 Login    Register
Ready, Set, Cook!
Pascal's Pager
aka: the pretentious bigmouth

I keep polluting the "What's for Lunch?" thread with non-lunch-related food and cooking stories. So here's a thread to record our random gastronomic adventures.

Here's what I started with tonight:

Trimmed chicken livers, celery, onions, wine, butter, seasonings.

Fried up the celery and onions in chicken stock and butter.

Next, the livers in stock, wine, and butter, with salt, pepper, and a handful of thyme and rosemary.

It came out pretty good, I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. Next time I'll cook the veggies less.

Nathan Bateman wrote:After a long day of Turing tests, you gotta unwind.

VictoryGin
Hehe - I can't even afford foreplay!

Interesting dish - looks good. How did the celery work? It looks like the one item that doesn't quite belong, though I have rarely cooked liver (do love me the chicken liver that comes with the whole bird...I roast it in the pan). I bet that would have been great with a little leftover cranberry sauce...
backsack wrote:You're really fucking annoying today.
backsack wrote:Shut the fuck up already.
JustAnotherMike wrote:"We are doing the best we can with the resources that we have"

Pascal's Pager

VictoryGin wrote:Interesting dish - looks good. How did the celery work? It looks like the one item that doesn't quite belong, though I have rarely cooked liver (do love me the chicken liver that comes with the whole bird...I roast it in the pan). I bet that would have been great with a little leftover cranberry sauce...

The celery was fine. I hate the stuff, but had a bunch leftover from my Thanksgiving stuffing recipe, so I thought I'd use it up. When it's cooked down tender and drowned in butter and chicken stock, it's inoffensive enough. Just there to add a bit of roughage.

If you like the chicken liver that comes with your bird, I recommend buying a tub or two to play with. They're very cheap, cook quickly, and are pretty versatile.

Burt
SEG is correct

Pascal's Pager wrote:If you like the chicken liver

Therein lies the rub.

Cunnilingus
shitty attitude crusader

Pork butt been in the slow cooker for over 5 hours now...gonna be so bomb.com
AndySmith wrote:Maybe we'll get lucky and some nutbag will put a bullet in him (Trump).

Pascal's Pager

Cunnilingus wrote:Pork butt been in the slow cooker for over 5 hours now...gonna be so bomb.com

What've you got in there with it?

Burt
SEG is correct

Pork butt is a lot more popular on this forum than Adam Carolla, and appropriately so. I've cooked three since summer, and I'm just waiting for it to go on sale again. Around here once a month or so they've been selling them for $1.29/lb. Whattaya gonna do? You gonna pull pork!

VictoryGin

You can feed an army off of one of those pork butts that sells for like 10 bucks...nice spicy rub, sitting all day in the crock pot...fuck yeah. It's the one meal I buy kaiser or sesame seed buns for.
JustAnotherMike wrote:"We are doing the best we can with the resources that we have"

Pascal's Pager

It's killing me that I'm about to throw this away:

It's whipped sweet potatoes made from scratch, with heavy cream, butter, fresh vanilla, and brown sugar. I even candied the pecans myself. :(

Cunnilingus
shitty attitude crusader

Pascal's Pager wrote:
Cunnilingus wrote:Pork butt been in the slow cooker for over 5 hours now...gonna be so bomb.com

What've you got in there with it?

dr pepper cooked down a bit in a big ass pan, then add honey, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar and 1 onion quartered

let that cook on low for 7 or 8 hours, drain, shred, cover in bbq sauce and stir together, then crock pot for another hour...then serve on hamburger buns with cole slaw

boom bitches
AndySmith wrote:Maybe we'll get lucky and some nutbag will put a bullet in him (Trump).

Cunnilingus
shitty attitude crusader

also i rubbed the butt itself with salt pepper and garlic powder before browning and doing whats posted above

SGreenwell
Evil twin of SGreenbad

Pascal's Pager wrote:It's killing me that I'm about to throw this away:

It's whipped sweet potatoes made from scratch, with heavy cream, butter, fresh vanilla, and brown sugar. I even candied the pecans myself. :(

That is an aggressive amount of pecans on that dish, not gonna lie. I'd try it out, but the pecans are such a contrast from sweet potato in terms of texture that I'm not sure how easy it would be to eat. Like one of my pet peeves (topic mixing again!) is when a milkshake or smoothie has seeds so thick that you have to chew them.
beeney wrote:Different gays for different days.

JGdmn wrote:I think it's pretty safe to err of the side of not hitting your children.

HuellHauser wrote:I think it's pretty safe to err of the side of not painting your cat.

VictoryGin

SGreenwell wrote:
Pascal's Pager wrote:It's killing me that I'm about to throw this away:

That is an aggressive amount of pecans on that dish, not gonna lie. I'd try it out, but the pecans are such a contrast from sweet potato in terms of texture that I'm not sure how easy it would be to eat. Like one of my pet peeves (topic mixing again!) is when a milkshake or smoothie has seeds so thick that you have to chew them.

Pecans and sweet potatoes are great together - have you tried it? The texture difference is part of the reason why you do it, and the slight astringency and saltiness from the pecans mixed with the sweetness of the potatoes is sublime. I made sure to buy pecans to chop up and put on my sweet potatoes this year, but realized just as we were sitting down that I forgot them. Oh well.

scottcolbath
Board Photog & Digitus Me'dius Enthusiast

PP, I hate seeing food tossed away. That'sa bummer.

I brined my bird this year for Thanksgiving. I did it once before, several years ago and it was OK. This time, the bird was amazing. Super juicy, crisp skin, etc. Thank you, Alton Brown.

Overall, this was the best food we have ever had in my house at Thanksgiving.

S.C.

Gimme a break
You made humor the issue, not me.

there is no recipe that needs celery. it is a pox on society.